What's new

Afghanistan protests Pakistan's border 'construction, physical reinforcemen

New border checkpost sparks Pak-Afghan tension
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - Islamabad—The construction of a border checkpost has sparked a new feud between Pakistan and neighbouring Afghanistan, with the latter already having accused the other of cross-border shelling and trying to undermine prospects of peace with the Afghan Taliban.

In a meeting with Pakistan Ambassador to Afghanistan Mohammad Sadiq on Monday, Afghan Deputy Foreign Minister Jawed Ludin expressed his concerns over what it called “Pakistani military’s unilateral construction and physical reinforcement activities along the Durand Line.”

According to the Afghan deputy foreign minister, the construction of the Pakistani military checkpost close to the Goshta district of Nangarhar province is “against all accepted international norms, provocative and unacceptable to the Afghan government.”

“According to Afghan border police reports, these unilateral activities began a while ago along the Durand Line near the villages of Hatam Kalai and Kodzarai in Goshta district,” said a press release issued by the Afghan foreign ministry.

Pakistan, however, brushed aside Ludin’s concerns, calling the construction work routine renovation on an old post.

“Pakistan has an old post called Gursal well inside Pakistani territory bordering Nangarhar Province of Afghanistan, which is under routine renovation,” said Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry on Tuesday.

According to recently signed agreements, both countries are required to inform the other of any new construction closer to border areas. “Despite being a renovation work Pakistan as a gesture of goodwill shared this information with the Afghan side. The same was also shared with the Afghan visiting delegation to Mohmand Agency on 24 January 2013,” said a Pakistani foreign office press release.

“Afghan Deputy Foreign Minister Jawed Ludin’s recent concerns about construction and physical reinforcement along the Afghan border are therefore not in keeping with the spirit of the understanding on good border management and the recently signed Tripartite Border SOP,” it added. In his meeting with the Pakistani ambassador, the Afghan deputy minister also raised objections against alleged rocket and artillery attacks into Afghanistan from the Pakistani side of the border. “The continuation of such attacks could negatively affect existing relations between the two countries,” said the Ludin.

The Pakistani Foreign Office responded Tuesday by saying “no rocket or artillery shells have been fired by Pakistan Army in the recent days.” This is not the first time that Afghanistan has accused Pakistan of such incidents. Over the past month, the Karzai government has repeatedly accused Pakistan of trying to hinder its progress of peace with Afghan Taliban militants.

Last week, the Afghan deputy foreign minister said he was shocked at “Pakistan’s complacency, and accused the country of “changing the goal post every time we reach understanding.” The country also cancelled a scheduled military trip to Pakistan due to what it called “unacceptable Pakistani shelling.”

Pakistan responded by saying Kabul “overreacted” to a “small incident.” The foreign ministry said its “disciplined and responsible” troops had responded to “some intrusions from the Afghan side”.
New border checkpost sparks Pak-Afghan tension

Afghans are giving tough time to India in being drama queen. Let's see who wins in the end.

Karzai is itching to give a big choopa now that Americans are leaving...he has got a habit to give choopa to someone and Pakistani keep rejecting him.

Its obvious why they are protesting. Once the fence goes up so will their claim of the tribal areas.

Now Afghanistan is hostile to us... thank the lord Zia Ul Haq the not so cool dictator for that. We should never have interfered. If we had to we should have just invaded Afghanistan and carved it up ourselves. A physical assualt is not what I talk about here. What I talk about here is a union between the two sides. Also it is the best way to unite the two sides which often tend to squabble... do note I am not saying this as a wannabe Pashtun. I say this as a Pakistani.

Now Afghanistan is hostile to us... thank the lord Zia Ul Haq the not so cool dictator for that. We should never have interfered. If we had to we should have just invaded Afghanistan and carved it up ourselves. A physical assualt is not what I talk about here. What I talk about here is a union between the two sides. Also it is the best way to unite the two sides which often tend to squabble... do note I am not saying this as a wannabe Pashtun. I say this as a Pakistani.

What kind of man invites a cancer into ones self??

Afghans are giving tough time to India in being drama queen. Let's see who wins in the end.

I think current Afghan government is possibly learning from their masters. To create attention and an issue.

I think current Afghan government is possibly learning from their masters. To create attention and an issue.

India has invested billions in Afghanistan. Looks like that investment is paying off. Afghanistan is a drama queen too.

lol. Why do indians always wnat to but.t in when the topic does not concern them. I think bohot khujli hoti hain unain lagta hain?

:bounce:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom