What's new

Afghan and Pakistani asylum seekers

A-Team

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
While we Afghans and Pakistanis fight over who is right and who is wrong and take pride in our history but the fact of the matter is at present we are the laughing stock of the rest of the world, the common man is suffering in both countries and if we dont take a step back and realize that we can only prosper if we join hands otherwise we will continue to be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

"EuroStats reports that 41,370 Afghans applied for asylum in European countries last year, second only to 122,115 Syrians. Pakistanis are third at 22,125.

From Prey To Predator: An Afghan Migrant Trafficker's Story

Why do they want asylum ?

Syria is understandable as it's a disfunctional state if not a failed state.

While we Afghans and Pakistanis fight over who is right and who is wrong and take pride in our history but the fact of the matter is at present we are the laughing stock of the rest of the world, the common man is suffering in both countries and if we dont take a step back and realize that we can only prosper if we join hands otherwise we will continue to be the laughing stock of the rest of the world.

"EuroStats reports that 41,370 Afghans applied for asylum in European countries last year, second only to 122,115 Syrians. Pakistanis are third at 22,125.

From Pakistani perspective we would like Afghanistan to retrieve their nearly 2.5 Million Citizens from Pakistan.

We have our own issues and we cannot accommodate them any more.

From Pakistani perspective we would like Afghanistan to retrieve their nearly 2.5 Million Citizens from Pakistan.

We have our own issues and we cannot accommodate them any more.

Fair point and Afghanistan should do that, we thank Pakistan and its people for hosting them so long.

But the point of my post was its not only Afghans who are running away, but its Pakistanis as well and you guys make 3rd most group asking asylum and that is main question that we need to answer which is that both you and I have failed to deliver to the masses in our countries by undermining each other and not thinking pan-region.

Fair point and Afghanistan should do that, we thank Pakistan and its people for hosting them so long.

But the point of my post was its not only Afghans who are running away, but its Pakistanis as well and you guys make 3rd most group asking asylum and that is main question that we need to answer which is that both you and I have failed to deliver to the masses in our countries by undermining each other and not thinking pan-region.

The motivation for most Pakistani immigrants is primarily " Economic " in nature. But for us the migration is running in both directions i.e. from Pakistan to the West and from the West to Pakistan.

I am an American Citizen who has actually returned to Pakistan after living in the US for nearly 40 years. So for us the traffic is moving in the opposite direction as well as there are large number of Pakistan born Citizens moving back to Pakistan.

Of course on a per capita bases 22,125 Asylum Seekers from a Nation of 200 Million are a much smaller percentage than 41,370 from a nation of 30 million.

This is not to say that there are no issues. We have huge issues from Taliban of both kinds ( Afghan Taliban as well as Pakistani Taliban). So that is an area where Afghanistan and Pakistan can collaborate and fight this menace to mankind together.

The point is the Pakistan has many problems -- that is the reason people are voting with their feet.

The point is if things are so bad in Pakistan -- how bad are things in Afghanistan.

Do remember that Pakistan's population is 6 times Afghanistan -- so to normalize for that:

248,220 Afghans vs. Pakistanis 22,125 -- again more than 10 times Pakistan

Or you can divide Pakistan by 6

41,370 Afghans vs. Pakistanis 3,688 -- again more than 10 times Pakistan

And, to your point -- this shows how bad things are in Pakistan -- and the same rules apply to Afghanistan. The rate of people fleeing is now 10 times that of Pakistan. This figure is probably the truest indicator of Afghanistan (and Pakistan's health) -- and it is very very worrying.

PS: if you normalize for:
1. Pakistanis have a higher base in terms of quality of life, etc. etc.
2. Pakistanis have it easier in terms of fleeing -- better access to capital, larger and more connected diaspora
3. Social and Cultural factors -- Pakistanis culturally have a greater propensity to migrate -- see gulf, UK, etc.

The picture becomes even bleaker for Afghanistan.

First point I have no problems with Afghan's in Pakistan. I look at them as our fellow brothers. I percieve them the way French go to Germany or Poles move to UK. They allow free movement of people from one European government to another. I will though tell you I explicitly exclude Indian's from this. My feeling is same to our Iranian brothers on the west.

Secondly the point you make about Afghan and Pakistani migrants in Europe is powerful. I live in UK. The number of times I see European s making fun of Afghans and Pakistani is amazing. In fact Afghan, Pakistan followed by Iranians are the favourite punching bags for everybody. Go to any European forum and you will see the b*tching they will do about Afghan and Pak. In fact I think we get more stick then even African's. I have had many arguments even this forum about this.

Then it is disgusting to see both Afghans and Pak both fighting with each other. Truely we are destined to suffer for ever. I just can't understand this. The Afghan have to realize that those who make fun of Pakistani also will do the same to them and the Pakistani also have to learn this.

First step for Afghans is to recognise the existence of Pakistan and to respect its present geographic boundaries and stop dreaming about loy Afghanistan and then trust me many problem will get solved . Its Afghans anti-Pakistan attitude since 1947 which forced Pakistan to have this interference in Afghanistan. Every afghan i met on internet claim kpk/balochistan belong to him and they call Pakistani pashtuns as slave of Punjabi because they say no to loy pashtunistan and they call punjabi as dall khor kala Hindus lol How can there be good relationship when such racism and arrogance exist out there

People don't seem to know what Asylum means. Syrians and Afghans seeking asylum makes sense, Pakistanis? I don't get
A fair number of those asylum seekers belong to Qadyani minority, many from Christian minority, some from Balochistan, and some MQMers etc.

Back
Top Bottom