What's new

Advanced Agni-6 missile with multiple warheads likely by 2017

The DRDO rightly calls it an IRBM - that puts an end to speculations that it can cover more than 5500 km and the chinese speculation that it is a 8000 km ICBM.

Looks like both A5 & A6 seem to be for our immediate neighborhood.
maximum range is 10'000 km.:P

IMO, MIRVs will be first tested on a modified Agni-V (with less conical warhead cone, having 3 MIRVs). After that India will move towards development of 4-7 MIRVs for Agni-VI.

Let us see which country in the subcontinent manages to test MIRVs first.

I disagree.

India (DRDO) provides the most reliable information about their weapons systems. The current maximum payload capacity is 1.5 tons aboard the Agni-III.

If Agni-II could really travel upto 3700km, there was no need of Agni-IV.

Don't just say anything from your imagination. Dr. Kalam is a man of his words. And if you wanna source, here it is: Check the range part..

Agni-II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here for Agni 3: Read fourth para under Flight test

Agni-III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Talking about MIRV, I agree it will be tested with 3 MIRV first on Agni V. But what I was stating 3 ton warhead carrying possibility makes it probable to develop the technology to carry upto 10 MIRV on Agni VI with 250kg-350kg each

You mean between India and Pakistan??

A question - How does experience in launching multiple payloads from satellites help in developing MIRV capability - if at all i.e?

A question - How does experience in launching multiple payloads from satellites help in developing MIRV capability - if at all i.e?

In the context of your question, yes it helped a lot but it is not all. You can view it like experience on separation of warhead for MIRV can be gained, but the navigation system onboard to make each of these warhead hit the target on ground with precision still need to be developed. Sounds, simple but it is too complex. Each vehicle will need to withstand the high temperature at the time of re-entry and there are few others but not that complex.

Yeah..

Yes, a lot. Ejecting RVs from the MIRVs from exact points in space is similar to inserting multiple satellites in their respective orbits. There is little guidance to be done after that (if any), because the ejections are performed after course corrections.
All that remains is to spin up the RV for re-entry afterwards (although it is not that simple).

Yeah..

Yes, a lot. Ejecting RVs from the MIRVs from exact points in space is similar to inserting multiple satellites in their respective orbits. There is little guidance to be done after that (if any), because the ejections are performed after course corrections.
All that remains is to spin up the RV for re-entry afterwards (although it is not that simple).

Its not that difficult as well if one has perfected multiple payload launches, as for spinning each payload India has got the gyro engines for that, re entry has also been perfected - one issue that arises is as the DRDO Chief said carrying a 3 ton warhead needs considerable energy and a lighter mini body and when it comes to sub launch - the missile has to be smaller and lighter.

Don't just say anything from your imagination. Dr. Kalam is a man of his words. And if you wanna source, here it is: Check the range part..

Agni-II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm certain he is, but how would you justify the development of Agni-IV, if Agni-II already had the capability?

Secondly, wikipedia is not a reliable source. For example, the BR guys who put the information about fins utilization during re-entry are wrong. The fins are used for course corrections prior to leaving atmosphere, and during re-entry, RVs are spinning for stabilization so there is no use of fins in that phase.

And here for Agni 3: Read fourth para under Flight test

Agni-III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The source referred to with 2.5 tons claim mentions a payload of 1.5 tons, as I stated before...
The marker pen like AGNI-3 Missile is 17 meters long and 2 metres in diameter. The Missile is a two stage solid propellant system with a pay load capability of 1.5 tons.
PIB Press Release

Talking about MIRV, I agree it will be tested with 3 MIRV first on Agni V. But what I was stating 3 ton warhead carrying possibility makes it probable to develop the technology to carry upto 10 MIRV on Agni VI with 250kg-350kg each

Agreed, but I doubt that DRDO will mount upto 10 MIRVs all at once. It is a gradual process.

I think India has finally decided enough is enough and now they are to ditch non-alignment 2 and gona gang up agaist China with US and old Imperial Japan.

Since otherwise, in all other circumstances I think India would have hesitated to announce the development of a missile capable of carrying 3 ton MARVed warhead to long distances.

All this could have been avoided if China hadn't mis timed her face off with India.

If India is going to develop this missile. The recent face off didn't affect anything. So don't make statements that is totally not true.

I'm certain he is, but how would you justify the development of Agni-IV, if Agni-II already had the capability?

Secondly, wikipedia is not a reliable source. For example, the BR guys who put the information about fins utilization during re-entry are wrong. The fins are used for course corrections prior to leaving atmosphere, and during re-entry, RVs are spinning for stabilization so there is no use of fins in that phase.

Wiki may not be a reliable source. But it will never quote falsely. It is Dr. Kalam's words not wiki's. As for significant of Agni-IV over Agni-II, the former can reach upto 4500km with one tonne warhead whereas the latter can reach a little over 3500km with 500kg warhead.

The source referred to with 2.5 tons claim mentions a payload of 1.5 tons, as I stated before...
India has always downplayed it's missile range and payload. You know the reason. Here it states 2 ton but it can carry 2.5ton. Sources from DRDO told me this in the year 2010.

Agni-3 | Missile ThreatMissile Threat

Agreed, but I doubt that DRDO will mount upto 10 MIRVs all at once. It is a gradual process.

Even I said the same thing. It is possible in future. Agni-VI to enter service sometime around 2020. First MIRV will be tested in the end of 2014. Six long year to develop.

IMO, MIRVs will be first tested on a modified Agni-V (with less conical warhead cone, having 3 MIRVs). After that India will move towards development of 4-7 MIRVs for Agni-VI.

I disagree.

India (DRDO) provides the most reliable information about their weapons systems. The current maximum payload capacity is 1.5 tons aboard the Agni-III.

If Agni-II could really travel upto 3700km, there was no need of Agni-IV.

That's what I think too.

But I think in test A 5 will carry 2 warheads

Wiki may not be a reliable source. But it will never quote falsely. It is Dr. Kalam's words not wiki's. As for significant of Agni-IV over Agni-II, the former can reach upto 4500km with one tonne warhead whereas the latter can reach a little over 3500km with 500kg warhead.

So it is about the reduced-payload-increased-range stuff, right? You see, ranges are determined by standard payloads, as set by en users (SFC). The increased ranges on paper don't really matter because these capabilities are not physically implemented.

Hell, even I could claim that Pakistan's Shaheen-II could target 4000km away with 250kg payload. The thing is it CAN, but it WON'T.

India has always downplayed it's missile range and payload. You know the reason. Here it states 2 ton but it can carry 2.5ton. Sources from DRDO told me this in the year 2010.

Agni-3 | Missile ThreatMissile Threat

Ahan, I see.
If only you guys would also information provided by us.

But I think in test A 5 will carry 2 warheads

3 MIRVs are more symmetrical, however only 2 can be a part of the test with the third used as dummy for balancing.

Dr. Kalam is a man of his words.

Since you have repeated this so many times, I feel compelled to point out that he isn't, not always. He has made several promises that were not fulfilled, and some of the promises he made cost us dearly in the form of bad planning. For example, this was his boast about the LCA, when he was the scientific advisor to the defence minister :

"We will induct 200 LCAs into the Indian Air Force between 2003 and 2010," Dr Abdul Kalam told a group of aeronautical scientists before he handed over DRDO's charges to Dr Vasudev K Aatre.

Air force officers at that time were highly skeptical, and tried to point out the exaggerated nature of the claim, but the defence ministry planned aquisitions as per Kalam's (and DRDO's) claims. End result is that today the air force has 50 percent of its aircrafts facing obsolescence.

rediff.com: The DRDO, an investigation

US sanctions latest in series of snags hitting long-delayed LCA project : DEFENCE - India Today

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom