What's new

A young Pakistani woman reveals her country's love affair with Bollywood

The only people who dont love Bollywood are the 100 odd regular Pakistani members of Defence.pk.

Or a few people living outside of South Asia.

Pdf is not proper representation of Pakistani opinion as seen during National elections where almost every Pakistani pdf member supported Imran but Nawaz's party won the election comfortably.

The OP is Pakistani. And I can show 100's of such articles from Pakistanis professing love for Bollywood. It is their word against your's. Given that this is PDF and you are conditioned to hate India, I have to side with them.
Let PPNF(patriotic pakistani net force) live in denial,,,fact remains,bollywood is huge in Pakistan.
Even after screaming different ppl,different culture,ganga this,bhaya that n all blah blah,,waha bollywood hi chalta hai,,,arey chalta kya pura bhagta hai :D
I wont be surprised if bollywood has got more viewership in Pakistan thn in south India,lets not even compare wid northeast India(where it is minimum)
They r bound to get influenced,,if not already.look at thr new movies,,most look like bollywood copies>>mission accomplished :enjoy:

I am the first one to say Indians and Pakistanis don't look one. I can recognize a Pakistani from a mile. By the way, I was talking of language and cultural similarities and not genetic similarities.
That is most clear!Kudos

That is most clear!Kudos

You are welcome.

Let PPNF(patriotic pakistani net force) live in denial,,,fact remains,bollywood is huge in Pakistan.
Even after screaming different ppl,different culture,ganga this,bhaya that n all blah blah,,waha bollywood hi chalta hai,,,arey chalta kya pura bhagta hai :D
I wont be surprised if bollywood has got more viewership in Pakistan thn in south India,lets not even compare wid northeast India(where it is minimum)
They r bound to get influenced,,if not already.look at thr new movies,,most look like bollywood copies>>mission accomplished :enjoy:

The case that a 2 month ban on Bollywood took Pakistani cinema industry towards bankruptcy says a lot about Pakistanis and their love affair with Bollywood.

So much for 2 Nation theory. It was just a big fraud. Muslim > Not differant culture. Urdu > Not differant language.

I can recognize a Pakistani from a mile.

Really - you stand to make a fortune if you share this breakthrough.

So much for 2 Nation theory.

I'm glad there's something to agree with you Kaptaan. That theory had other weaknesses as it overplayed the religious connection and strove to club non-ethnically related muslims together. The term Indian muslims for example - makes no meaningful sense if it includes malayali muslims, tamil muslims, bengali muslims, bohras and lucknawi muslims together - most of whom have very little in common.

Back to topic

There's no logical reason why people's choices of entertainment should mirror foreign policy. Hollywood movies were quite popular in India in the 70s (as they continue to be now) and regularly released (though late) in the English halls even as Nixon was busy trying to undermine Indira Gandhi.

So much for 2 Nation theory. It was just a big fraud. Muslim > Not differant culture. Urdu > Not differant language.

Watching Bollywood is not a problem mate, Hollywood is watched throughout the world, not every person is the same. Your everyday lower middle or middle class Pakistanis need their daily dosage of unrealistic love affairs, sass bahu drama and scantly dressed women. Bollywood provides that with additional to language similarities. I have this theory that most humans, Pakistanis in particular are hypocrites. When it suits them they are Muslims ready to lynch you for questioning illogical teachings but behind the curtains they love watching half naked Bollywood actress.

Watching Bollywood is not a problem mate, Hollywood is watched throughout the world, not every person is the same. Your everyday lower middle or middle class Pakistanis need their daily dosage of unrealistic love affairs, sass bahu drama and scantly dressed women. Bollywood provides that with additional to language similarities. I have this theory that most humans, Pakistanis in particular are hypocrites. When it suits them they are Muslims ready to lynch you for questioning illogical teachings but behind the curtains they love watching half naked Bollywood actress.
It is better in my eyes that a domestic entertainment industry flourishes in the country. I am pretty liberal but Bollywood will always be an Indian thing and local artists/entertainers suffer because of it. We should always promote our own first and foremost. This is why I used to buy every music cd made by a Pakistani artist in my youth days.

have not watched any indian movie for atleast 2 to 3 years . don't know about others but I love Turkish drama . I have to admit that I rarely listen 1 to 2 quality Bollywood songs .that's it. I personally feel that Bollywood interest is rapidly declining . Turkish dramas and our local films industry is taking lead.

Sara Naveed

It is impossible to deny the endless love we Pakistanis have for Bollywood movies. Trust me when I say this. All of us, almost every other Pakistani next-door, have grown up watching and admiring Bollywood films.

I vaguely remember the day I’d fallen head over heels with Bollywood. It was a warm day, sometime in the early 1990s. We used to live in Sharjah back then. I still remember I was merely a toddler when my dad made me sit on a rocker and played Maine Pyar Kiya, featuring Salman Khan and Bhagyashree in the lead roles, on the idiot box to help me get distracted. And, my, oh my! How distracted had I been back then. The allure of Bollywood movies is still very much alive for me.

It will be needless to say that I have literally grown up watching Bollywood cinema. Every now and then, we used to go and catch a new Bollywood release at the nearest cinema hall. At the time, we didn’t have any favourites and would only watch a movie for the sake of entertainment.

There was a time when I was completely awestruck with Akshay Kumar – yes, he was my first-ever Bollywood crush. I watched Khiladi and Mohra countless number of times.

I guess the tables for the Bollywood film fraternity took a complete turn as we gradually stepped into the millennium. With Kaho Naa…Pyaar Hai’s release back in 2000, the Indian film industry witnessed a major shift. For me, it was time to swoon over Bollywood’s latest heartthrob, Hrithik Roshan. I was his biggest fangirl for a long, long time and ardently wrote fan-fictions featuring him. That’s when I sensed the writer in me.

pakbd1_030217042117.jpg

It is not the first time that Bollywood has been banned in our country.

Iconic movies like Mughal-e-Azam, Guide, Sholay, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, stole millions of hearts all over the globe. They’re being watched even today. The trend for Bollywood movies completely changed after 2000. With movies like Lagaan, Dil Chahta Hai, Munna Bhai MBBS, Rang De Basanti, Jab We Met, Rockstar, Barfi, Queen, and so on, we saw many Indian filmmakers take deep risks to showcase another side of Indian movies. All these films did not only earn heaps of money at the box office, but also recieved global acclaim.

Both India and Pakistan have spent many decades to erect barriers against cultural exchange across the border. Despite the recent political debacle between the two neighboring countries, Indians have not stopped admiring Pakistani talent. In fact, they relish watching Pakistani soaps. Fawad and Mahira Khan are still everybody’s favourite in India.

Similarly, Pakistanis, settled in urban cities, have not given up their undying love for Bollywood movies. They still watch them by downloading ******** from the internet or grabbing pirated DVDs from the local stores because giving up on something you’ve loved and grown up admiring is just next to impossible. It is plausible to see them gush about their favourite Indian celebrities or get inspired by their healthy lifestyles. They identify with the actors, characters, and stories. The love for Indian cinema is deeply rooted in their systems.

In fact, we felt hugely disappointed when Raees could not be released in Pakistan. Whatsoever the reason could have been, it was devastating not to witness the intense romantic chemistry that King Khan shared with our nation’s sweetheart, Mahira Khan.

It is not the first time that Bollywood has been banned in our country. Whenever tensions rises across the border, our local cinemas are quick to stop screening Indian movies. Moreover, we are also devoid of watching Indian TV soaps.

It wouldn’t be wrong to state that our cinema business heavily relies on the Indian movies that are screened in theaters. Whenever there’s a ban on Indian films, theaters become almost lifeless and unproductive. Although, it is pleasing to see that the Pakistani film industry flourishing, a huge demand gap exists. A Salman Khan or Shah Rukh Khan-starrer would still garner more attention and witness a houseful situation rather quickly than a Shaan Shahid movie.

A lot more Pakistani films need to come out to fill the local screens. However, we do not have many screens in our country at the moment. Having more screens would mean that we should also produce more Pakistani films which does not seem like a viable option at this time. Therefore, the only way to keep the interest of exhibitors alive in the business is not to stop screening Indian films.

Whether the two countries settle down their differences or not, whether the ban on Pakistani artists working in India lifts or prevails, our love for Bollywood will never cease. This forbidden romance is here to stay for a long while. Kyunki badey badey deshon mein, aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain.

LOL just one?

Bro, Urdu is adopted by Bollywood industry. What they speak in their movies is not Hindi, but Urdu. Hindi is an ancient and difficult language that Indians don't want to speak. Bollywood adopting Urdu is very telling.

As for Muslims, we know what happens to minorities in India. Just look at Muslim Bollywood actors as an example. They are blackmailed not to speak their mind. Just because we have a handful of Bollywood lovers on our side of the border doesn't mean that the majority loves Bollywood. Besides, we watch their movies only because they have a lot of Muslim Khan actors which we can relate to. We don't watch movies for Sunny Deol. We watch them to see any Khan performing on the screen. Muslims are only Indian on paper in India. We know how the Hindutva's view minorities including Muslim Bollywood actors.

The two nation is not only justified, but it is essential to survive as human beings.

Last edited:
Bollywood is here to stay in spite of Hollywood

just like Chinese phones will stay in spite of I-phones

who knows who wins in long run :P

Only reason Bollywood movies are (or was) 'popular' is because that is the only #### they feed us. Unfortunately another reason why it's so popular is because you have women performing Mujra half-naked all the time in those movies. I remember in Sialkot when the movie theatres introduced Turkish/Iranian films - Bollywood movies were dropped because no one would watch them. Bollywood movies are facing a rapid decline as Pakistani film industry makes a comeback.
India didnt destroy our industry Mullahsarases under Zia did it will rebound eventually i see massive yearly improvement

Pdf is not proper representation of Pakistani opinion as seen during National elections where almost every Pakistani pdf member supported Imran but Nawaz's party won the election comfortably.
Yes pdf represents educated Urban Pakistanis

Watching Bollywood crap is a problem dude and watching it waste of precious three hours time. There are few movies and dramas in their credit other than that 95% crap. Their historical dramas and movies based on lies and self made facts again based on hate for Pakistan. The rape in every single corner there result of watching that crap.

India didnt destroy our industry Mullahsarases under Zia did it will rebound eventually i see massive yearly improvement

Yes pdf represents educated Urban Pakistanis
It was hypcrite Zia who put restrictions on Pakistani movies dramas and introduce VCR ( one of his filth wth dozen other ) to spread Bollywood cheap crap in streets of Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom