A Saudi woman details life in Iran

dsc_0911.jpg

10/15/2015
Become an Observer

Forgot your password?

Observers

Sara Masry

With tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia running feverishly high, this may seem like an odd time for a young Saudi woman to choose to study in Iran. Yet that’s exactly what our Observer is doing. She details her experiences on her blog, “Saudi in Iran”.

Iran and Saudi Arabia have never had very good relations. Iran is a Shiite theocracy, while Saudi Arabia is the home of Wahhabism, an ultra-conservative branch of Sunni Islam. And today, because of proxy wars between the two countries in Syria and Yemen, their relationship is more volatile than ever. Their latest feud is over the stampede that killed more than 1,600 people in Mecca: several hundred Iranians were among the pilgrims who perished, and were blamed by Saudi authorities for allegedly starting the stampede. Tehran, meanwhile, placed the blame for the tragedy squarely on the Saudi authorities.

After the Mecca stampede, Iranians demonstrated in front of the Saudi embassy in Tehran and the Saudi consulate in Mahshad. In Saudi Arabia, some imams declared that killing Shiites was ‘halal’, or allowed.

In this context, Saudi blogger Sara Masry, who has lived and studied in Tehran for the past ten months, chooses to focus in her blog on her day-to-day life there, avoiding all politics. She did, however, make a small exception to address the Mecca tragedy: “This event is now polarizing the two populations even further … while pushing the possibility of mutual understanding and empathy back another few decades”.

img_3544.jpg

"Iranians are very hospitable, and are able to separate between politics and people in a way that I think is really unique to the Middle East"

Sara Masry

Sara Masry grew up in Saudi Arabia before attending university in London. She is now following a course on Iranian studies in Tehran.

I have always been interested in Iran, its culture, and its history, and was able to study it in depth in London. But one day, I decided studying from afar was not enough: I wanted to see the reality of this country myself.
When I told my Saudi friends and family about my plan, some of them were very worried and tried to dissuade me. In part, this was because I had a good job opportunity in London, but it was also because there’s not a lot of positive news about Iran in the media!

img_3993.jpg

Sara and friends visiting a salt lake in Garmeh.
However, living here, I have found vast majority of Iranians are very hospitable, and are able to separate between politics and people in a way that I think is really unique to the Middle East. Not one person I have come across has cared that I’m Saudi, and not one has cared that I’m Sunni. When I meet new people, many think that I’m Indian because of my accent in Persian. When they learn I’m Saudi, the questions begin: Why are you here? Do you like our country? Are you having a good experience in Iran?

I honestly can’t tell you of a single bad experience. I know, of course, that racism and chauvinism exist here, like in many countries, but fortunately in ten months, I have not experienced it.

img_4749_0.jpg

Visiting a mountain in Izeh where natural gas causes flames to burst from the ground.

"I want to create a bridge between people in both nations"

A few months ago, I lost my wallet. In it, there was a lot of money, since I had just changed some British pounds to Toman. There was also my Saudi identity card. A few days later, a woman called me and said she had my wallet. She was the wife of the taxi driver who had found my wallet, and she had been searching for me for days!

After the Hajj stampede, I was paying for lunch at the cafeteria and one of my friends came up and made a joke to the cashier: ‘Don’t sell her anything, she’s Saudi!’ and ran off. A woman who had heart this came up to me and for five minutes apologized to me for her countryman’s behaviour. Even after I told her it was just a joke, she said there was no place for such jokes here!

Most of the time, I blog about social and cultural experiences, and about my travels throughout the country. My goal is to create a bridge between people in both nations, to dispel myths and stereotypes. Right now, I write in English, but I plan to translate it into Arabic… Next step, Persian!

Iran is a great country. (except for the oppression of women part, it is) and I think it would be in the world's greater interest to maintain good relations with Iran, especially Pakistan as we share border and could develop huge economic activity between the 2 countries.

That part where a woman came and apologized really touched me...however many differences we may have, we should not treat a fellow being badly (until he is decent )

Where is that mountain on fire ? Thought only turkmenistan had it.

I want to go to that place !

@Serpentine

It's in Ramhormoz, Khuzestan province. Nothing even close to that hell hole in Turkmenistan, but yes, this mountain also burns with small fire by natural gas coming from ground.

70130_771.jpg

It's in Ramhormoz, Khuzestan province. Nothing even close to that hell hole in Turkmenistan, but yes, this mountain also burns with small fire by natural gas coming from ground.

70130_771.jpg

Seems beautiful from a distance, but how is the climate around it? I mean hot or cold? In one photo she is standing inside fire with overcoat. That means air must be cold out there?

Seems beautiful from a distance, but how is the climate around it? I mean hot or cold? In one photo she is standing inside fire with overcoat. That means air must be cold out there?
Its natural gases coming from the ground, its not a normal "fire" that just hasnt extinguished, not to safe to hang around there either.

Read up on a town called Centralia in the US if you havent heard of it, turned into a ghost town because of a large ten mile underground coal mine fire that has been burning for decades and will keep burning for a few hundred years, India also has one in Jharia Coal Fields which affects alot of people and the Indian government does nothing about their plight, could literally lead to a huge amount of death and already causes lots of health problems.

dsc_0911.jpg

10/15/2015
Become an Observer

Forgot your password?

Observers

Sara Masry

With tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia running feverishly high, this may seem like an odd time for a young Saudi woman to choose to study in Iran. Yet that’s exactly what our Observer is doing. She details her experiences on her blog, “Saudi in Iran”.

Iran and Saudi Arabia have never had very good relations. Iran is a Shiite theocracy, while Saudi Arabia is the home of Wahhabism, an ultra-conservative branch of Sunni Islam. And today, because of proxy wars between the two countries in Syria and Yemen, their relationship is more volatile than ever. Their latest feud is over the stampede that killed more than 1,600 people in Mecca: several hundred Iranians were among the pilgrims who perished, and were blamed by Saudi authorities for allegedly starting the stampede. Tehran, meanwhile, placed the blame for the tragedy squarely on the Saudi authorities.

After the Mecca stampede, Iranians demonstrated in front of the Saudi embassy in Tehran and the Saudi consulate in Mahshad. In Saudi Arabia, some imams declared that killing Shiites was ‘halal’, or allowed.

In this context, Saudi blogger Sara Masry, who has lived and studied in Tehran for the past ten months, chooses to focus in her blog on her day-to-day life there, avoiding all politics. She did, however, make a small exception to address the Mecca tragedy: “This event is now polarizing the two populations even further … while pushing the possibility of mutual understanding and empathy back another few decades”.

img_3544.jpg

"Iranians are very hospitable, and are able to separate between politics and people in a way that I think is really unique to the Middle East"

Sara Masry

Sara Masry grew up in Saudi Arabia before attending university in London. She is now following a course on Iranian studies in Tehran.

I have always been interested in Iran, its culture, and its history, and was able to study it in depth in London. But one day, I decided studying from afar was not enough: I wanted to see the reality of this country myself.
When I told my Saudi friends and family about my plan, some of them were very worried and tried to dissuade me. In part, this was because I had a good job opportunity in London, but it was also because there’s not a lot of positive news about Iran in the media!

img_3993.jpg

Sara and friends visiting a salt lake in Garmeh.
However, living here, I have found vast majority of Iranians are very hospitable, and are able to separate between politics and people in a way that I think is really unique to the Middle East. Not one person I have come across has cared that I’m Saudi, and not one has cared that I’m Sunni. When I meet new people, many think that I’m Indian because of my accent in Persian. When they learn I’m Saudi, the questions begin: Why are you here? Do you like our country? Are you having a good experience in Iran?

I honestly can’t tell you of a single bad experience. I know, of course, that racism and chauvinism exist here, like in many countries, but fortunately in ten months, I have not experienced it.

img_4749_0.jpg

Visiting a mountain in Izeh where natural gas causes flames to burst from the ground.

"I want to create a bridge between people in both nations"

A few months ago, I lost my wallet. In it, there was a lot of money, since I had just changed some British pounds to Toman. There was also my Saudi identity card. A few days later, a woman called me and said she had my wallet. She was the wife of the taxi driver who had found my wallet, and she had been searching for me for days!

After the Hajj stampede, I was paying for lunch at the cafeteria and one of my friends came up and made a joke to the cashier: ‘Don’t sell her anything, she’s Saudi!’ and ran off. A woman who had heart this came up to me and for five minutes apologized to me for her countryman’s behaviour. Even after I told her it was just a joke, she said there was no place for such jokes here!

Most of the time, I blog about social and cultural experiences, and about my travels throughout the country. My goal is to create a bridge between people in both nations, to dispel myths and stereotypes. Right now, I write in English, but I plan to translate it into Arabic… Next step, Persian!
It's a wonderful place ,had awesome memories their. Tehran has some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, the people are very hospitable and polite.

Back
Top Bottom