What's new

A rising Bangladesh starts to exert its regional power.

Yep but a critical reason is that BD is homogenous and it does not have to expand too much energy holding itself together unlike India and to a lesser extent Pakistan.

Despite what some BD posters here think BD is doing as well as can be expected for the time it has had independence and the region it has found itself in. It can and should improve a little quicker in its military capabilities and tweak a few areas of its economy.

If all major economic organisations predict a good run for the BD economy till 2035, then it is arrogance to think anyone here knows better. These orgs. have factored all variables into their forecasts and there is a greater chance of them being right at the end of the day.

Mainly more of the same with the BAL for the rest of the decade and the few areas that need improvement will probably slowly happen or at least a start made. Expecting everything to be fixed immediately is naive and lacking knowledge in how things work in the real world.

If BD doesn't become a developed nation by 2035 , then I'm not buying into this BS anymore. Only god knows how bad the future will be and what sort of events will happen.

No one knows what position BD will be in 2035 and I mean no one , it can still be a sh*thole with a few tweaks or a mid developed nation.

If BD doesn't become a developed nation by 2035 , then I'm not buying into this BS anymore. Only god knows how bad the future will be and what sort of events will happen.

No one knows what position BD will be in 2035 and I mean no one , it can still be a sh*thole with a few tweaks or a mid developed nation.

Why do you presume you are more qualified to comment than IMF,World Bank, ADB etc?

No one really knows for sure but their projections are the best we have.

Why do you presume you are more qualified to comment than IMF,World Bank, ADB etc?

No one really knows for sure but their projections are the best we have.

Elon Musk doesn't even live up to his words , do you really expect me to believe the IMF ?

Last time I checked IMF didn't predict Covid-19

The highlighted shows how Pakistan Army, Generals with Martial Law ruled the Country, still now and how Bangladesh bounced back from its former masters Pakistan:

When it gained independence from Pakistan in 1971, Bangladesh was one of the poorest countries in the world with few apparent prospects – former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger apocryphally called it a “basket case”.

Today it is a confident country of 160 million people with a booming, export oriented economy, which has grown at an annual average of about 6% for two decades. Economic growth slowed to 5.2% in 2020 due to Covid, and is forecast by the ADB to bounce back to 6.8% in 2021 and 7.2% in 2022.

GDP per capita now stands at $2,227, higher than India’s ($1,947) and much higher than its former masters, Pakistan ($1,543).
Respect to them for that, but if either Bangladesh or India had half the problems Pakistan did both countries would be "basket cases" to this day.

Elon Musk doesn't even live up to his words , do you really expect me to believe the IMF ?

Last time I checked IMF didn't predict Covid-19

Covid-19 is a once in a century pandemic. How are you supposed to predict that?

As for how accurate that IMF is, apart from India it has been pretty good even with its long-range 40 year forecasts for a lot of countries.

Also, consider that the IMF and other Western organisations have no vested interest in hyping up the BD economy. This is not the same case with India and so their need to have a stronger India to counter-balance China made their forecasts for India a bit too much on the optimistic side.

Anyway no one here is talking about a developed BD as that is too far away but what a lot of people think is that the ingredients are there for it to become a "middle income" country 15-20 years down the line.

Congratulation to Bangladesh :)

BUT
those comparing Bangladesh to Pakistan! please give us a break! If Pakistan was surrounded on three sides from a pro Pakistan CHINA as the only neighbor (just like Pro-Bangladesh India), shanghai few 100 kms to Karachi (Calcutta-dhaka distance), then Pakistan would have been much ahead!

Every country has it own geo political advantages and disadvantages. While Pakistan lies at a much better place than Bangladesh, at the same time the liabilities of Afghan refugees, Shia Sunni Conflict (Iran KSA), USA's interest in region etc have dampened our growth over the last 4-5 decades.

Lets hope that the geo political storm of Shia Sunni conflict, Capitalists vs Communist, Coalition of willing vs Taliban etc is over and we may witness peaceful times ahead. My only fear is Pakistan doesn't become a battle ground for China vs USA. They will fight but lets hope its in Pacific Ocean and not in the plains of Punjab!

Once again Congrats to Bangladesh

Covid-19 is a once in a century pandemic. How are you supposed to predict that?

As for how accurate that IMF is, apart from India it has been pretty good even with its long-range 40 year forecasts for a lot of countries.

Also, consider that the IMF and other Western organisations have no vested interest in hyping up the BD economy. This is not the same case with India and so their need to have a stronger India to counter-balance China made their forecasts for India a bit too much on the optimistic side.

Anyway no one here is talking about a developed BD as that is too far away but what a lot of people think is that the ingredients are there for it to become a "middle income" country 15-20 years down the line.

Well we better hope BD manages to get to mid tier developed levels , cause if we don't there will be serious consequences for our corruption.

Also BD has to diversify it's economy quick

Well we better hope BD manages to get to mid tier developed levels , cause if we don't there will be serious consequences for our corruption.

Also BD has to diversify it's economy quick

That is exactly what I have been trying to drum into people.

Do not expect too much out of BD at this stage!

Getting to "middle-income" levels in 15-20 years would be fantastic and would mean a much better life for all BD'shis. Anything more after would be a bonus.

Last edited:
Congratulation to Bangladesh :)

BUT
those comparing Bangladesh to Pakistan! please give us a break! If Pakistan was surrounded on three sides from a pro Pakistan CHINA as the only neighbor (just like Pro-Bangladesh India), shanghai few 100 kms to Karachi (Calcutta-dhaka distance), then Pakistan would have been much ahead!

Every country has it own geo political advantages and disadvantages. While Pakistan lies at a much better place than Bangladesh, at the same time the liabilities of Afghan refugees, Shia Sunni Conflict (Iran KSA), USA's interest in region etc have dampened our growth over the last 4-5 decades.

Lets hope that the geo political storm of Shia Sunni conflict, Capitalists vs Communist, Coalition of willing vs Taliban etc is over and we may witness peaceful times ahead. My only fear is Pakistan doesn't become a battle ground for China vs USA. They will fight but lets hope its in Pacific Ocean and not in the plains of Punjab!

Once again Congrats to Bangladesh

Yes you can't really compare Pakistan to BD, one is the size of a province/state, somewhat crippled from its inception. But for a country of such characteristic it also has its fair share of problems to deal with. So what I'm saying is small country = dealing with big problems.
Our government relationship with India is unquestionably friendly, but on the ground the relation is questionable ie the actions of Indian border guards etc. Furthermore we also have the Burmese to deal with, granted they don't come close to a India level threat but we have the responsibility and duty for the Rohingyas and we don't know the future for them. The nature of such a country such as Bangladesh is that it will for a long time remain without any leverage.

Pakistan has Afghan and Indos to deal with, but it's better to know your enemies.

The highlighted shows how Pakistan Army, Generals with Martial Law ruled the Country, still now and how Bangladesh bounced back from its former masters Pakistan:

When it gained independence from Pakistan in 1971, Bangladesh was one of the poorest countries in the world with few apparent prospects – former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger apocryphally called it a “basket case”.

Today it is a confident country of 160 million people with a booming, export oriented economy, which has grown at an annual average of about 6% for two decades. Economic growth slowed to 5.2% in 2020 due to Covid, and is forecast by the ADB to bounce back to 6.8% in 2021 and 7.2% in 2022.

GDP per capita now stands at $2,227, higher than India’s ($1,947) and much higher than its former masters, Pakistan ($1,543).
Does anyone believe that PK's real GDP per capita is $1500? Very happy for Bangladesh.

Respect to them for that, but if either Bangladesh or India had half the problems Pakistan did both countries would be "basket cases" to this day.

India and Bangladesh have their own demons to fight..

Natural disasters in particular have taken a liking to Bangladesh.

And it's not like Pakistan didn't create some of its own issues via bad decision making and putting the wrong people in power.

The truth is that Pakistan is an extremely polarised society (thanks to multiple ethnicities who very much love living together) and is only held together thanks to religion and open animosity to India.

As it stands right now, should India cease to exist, Pakistan's hidden demons will come to roost..

In my opinion, Pakistan needs to get it's affairs sorted and develop national identity and unity beyond religion and being anti-indian..

Soon as they do that, I don't think there's any other issues a country can't counter.

India and Bangladesh have their own demons to fight..

Natural disasters in particular have taken a liking to Bangladesh.

And it's not like Pakistan didn't create some of its own issues via bad decision making and putting the wrong people in power.

The truth is that Pakistan is an extremely polarised society (thanks to multiple ethnicities who very much love living together) and is only held together thanks to religion and open animosity to India.

As it stands right now, should India cease to exist, Pakistan's hidden demons will come to roost..

In my opinion, Pakistan needs to get it's affairs sorted and develop national identity and unity beyond religion and being anti-indian..

Soon as they do that, I don't think there's any other issues a country can't counter.

India has been indirectly aiding Pakistan and it is what it is by fuelling unity and the unity can't be undone now. We stand ever stronger together. A country that truly needs to sort themselves out is however India and not Bangladesh or Pakistan.. India is going thru some real bad batch with all the hindutva extremists taking the country back a century in the 21st century.. If you go to Pakistan and Bangladesh there is honestly no turmoil or communal unrest like India it has become a cesspool... India has regressed significiantly in the last decade. There is hardly any security in India and it will get worse as the poverty rate keeps rising

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom