What's new

A lesson for Humans in optical camouflage

SvenSvensonov

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
vut79kw5sz0cabjeqkvb.jpg

Can you see it? Hiding in plain sight there are two of the most stealthy creatures in the animal kingdom, almost impossible to detect. Thanks to the wonders of natural selection, these and other animals can avoid most predators and perpetuate their species. See if you can spot them all:

The two birds on that dead trunk are tawny frogmouths, who look like this when they are not posing:

ksz0kpkoelzpo0rolkmt.jpg

Here's another one:

pzpmru80w0ovzrrqjois.jpg

And another:

dscvvudnmecvkslqlmul.jpg

This is not a tawny frogmouth, but it has a frog mouth (because it is a toad):

vviopnqc4ndslczavidr.jpg

Here's another toad:

xa7akoejx8d2rigwagtz.png

I'm still trying to detect it myself, to be honest. Maybe you can see them better here:

j6hgmgypjvl7xv9lrkdo.jpg

From Can you detect the stealth animals hiding in all these pictures?

@AMDR @Nihonjin1051

This owl is much easier to spot, but just because you are actually looking for it. In the open you won't be able to detect it unless you were an expert field biologist.

r7lcjhfdkdg7xf6qzdtw.jpg

Same with this one:

oof4n2tqqjydgat07xow.jpg

The same will happen with marine life. You can see them in these photos because you are looking for them in a limited space. But, as a diver, I can tell you it's extremely hard to see some of them, specially some octopi. Or this stone fish:

rlfttpksecub8c9xlqpz.jpg

A couple of cuttlefish:

tepjuxugseuxkfrme1eo.jpg

kkevs20tpo2jgmibr9fo.jpg

vge8ehfqovx2fntmbc8k.jpg

And insects are excellent at this game too, from the classic stick and leaf insects:

cb1tob15orzlko7r2b4w.jpg

To this invisible spider:

rdagy8ixh3nr8wszexyb.jpg

Or this amazing caterpillar:

lalhh3beo9jpudsc1ffg.jpg

And then you have some incredible reptiles:

d0k9t8om4xnwkiogsu15.jpg

byi6ic3jink1cqnl0tdy.jpg

No matter how many video reportages and photos I see, nature would never cease to truly amaze me.
My mind cannot comprehend the catepillar and green leaf picture.
Nature's adaptive camouflage at work :D

My mind cannot comprehend the catepillar and green leaf picture.
Nature's adaptive camouflage at work :D

It's ridiculous isn't it. We are good and take our inspiration from nature when designing our camo... most of the time, but nature is just on a completely different level.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous isn't it. We are good an take our inspiration from nature when designing our camo... most of the time, but nature is just on a completely different level.
Indeed. I'm sure DARPA has some black program working on fabric that can adapt to the color of the environment like a chameleon or octopus.

vut79kw5sz0cabjeqkvb.jpg

Can you see it? Hiding in plain sight there are two of the most stealthy creatures in the animal kingdom, almost impossible to detect. Thanks to the wonders of natural selection, these and other animals can avoid most predators and perpetuate their species. See if you can spot them all:

The two birds on that dead trunk are tawny frogmouths, who look like this when they are not posing:

ksz0kpkoelzpo0rolkmt.jpg

Here's another one:

pzpmru80w0ovzrrqjois.jpg

And another:

dscvvudnmecvkslqlmul.jpg

I've always known that bird is the potoo.

20090301084436-1.jpg

Nature never ceases to amaze me.

vut79kw5sz0cabjeqkvb.jpg

ksz0kpkoelzpo0rolkmt.jpg

Here's another one:

pzpmru80w0ovzrrqjois.jpg

And another:

dscvvudnmecvkslqlmul.jpg

This is not a tawny frogmouth, but it has a frog mouth (because it is a toad):

vviopnqc4ndslczavidr.jpg

Here's another toad:

xa7akoejx8d2rigwagtz.png

I'm still trying to detect it myself, to be honest. Maybe you can see them better here:

j6hgmgypjvl7xv9lrkdo.jpg

From Can you detect the stealth animals hiding in all these pictures?

@AMDR @Nihonjin1051

Wow how very interesting! This reminds me of some mimicry that different species of animals use to appear more dangerous. For example:

Batesianlarva.jpg

Wow how very interesting! This reminds me of some mimicry that different species of animals use to appear more dangerous. For example:

Batesianlarva.jpg

Very fascinating indeed! We humans have even taken to mimicking animals with great effect. Here we see a typical human mimicking the fearsome wolf.

animal-costumes-sexy-wolf-costume-000147_2.jpg

That outfit is dangerous indeed :D

Yet the cameramen were able to spot them all. May be they have evolved over and above the nature!

Back
Top Bottom