What's new

$720m accords signed for Tarbela 5th extension, Balochistan, FATA

Kabira

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: The World Bank and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed on Wednesday loan and grant agreements worth $720 million with the government for the fifth extension project of the Tarbela dam and governance policy programme for Balochistan.

Under the loan agreement, the World Bank will provide a credit of $390m for the fifth extension hydropower project of the Tarbela dam which will facilitate a sustainable expansion of the country’s electricity generation capacity by installation of three additional power generating units having installed capacity of 470 megawatts each on existing Tunnel-5 without affecting the capacity for irrigation release.

With the addition of 1,410MW, the total installed capacity of the Tarbela dam will rise to 6,298MW.

The total cost of the project is $823.5m, with the World Bank financing $390m and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) $300m. The remaining $133.5m will be funded by Wapda ($124.5m) and National Transmission and Despatch Company ($9m) for a transmission line from Tarbela to evacuate additional power.

The project will help in further development of hydropower potential along the Indus cascade which is a cornerstone of the World Bank strategy and the government’s energy policy to reduce load-shedding, cost of electricity generation and improve financial sustainability of the power sector.

The project would also continue to support a number of schemes initiated by Wapda for communities of the area under the Tarbela-4 extension project.

A separate grant agreement for the provision of $30m for the governance and policy programme (GPP) for Balochistan ($16m) and Fata ($14m) was also signed. The funds will be released from the second phase of Multi-Donor Trust Fund (MTDF) administered by the World Bank.

The objective of the programme is to strengthen the capacity for collection of sales tax on services and improve accountability in public finance management and service delivery in education and irrigation sectors in Balochistan and Fata.Economic Affairs Division Secretary Tariq Bajwa signed the loan and grant agreements while representatives of Wapda, NTDC, the government of Balochistan and Fata secretariat signed the project agreements on behalf of their respective sides.

World Bank Country Director Patchamuthu Illangovan and AIIB Procurement Adviser Ian Nightingale signed the agreements on behalf of their respective organisations.

Published in Dawn January 19th, 2017

Well the fifth extension of Tarbela dam was imminent. It is technically the cheapest way we could add electricity to the national grid. That's the maximum capacity of Tarbela dam however I wouldn't be surprised if few hundred MW of electricity is added by refurbishing Extension I, II and III in future with the help of latest technology/machinery. Similar to whats happening with Mangla dam.

Tarbela Extension IV is due to be completed in less than 6 months and then Extension V will commence.

Will this extension also add to existing water storage capacity as well otherwise it will put a constraint on our water reserves.

:D :D Tarbela IV Extension :D :D

15822132_1352359328161499_894784270_n.jpg
15822505_1352359281494837_429182893_n.jpg
15840981_1352359348161497_1944761553_n.jpg
15841535_1352359338161498_1098677778_n.jpg
15841597_1352359354828163_2013506912_n.jpg
15879052_1352359368161495_1179537325_n.jpg

Will this extension also add to existing water storage capacity as well otherwise it will put a constraint on our water reserves.

It will not increase water storage. It will help generate more electricity in summer, remember in winter Tarbela drop to just around 1000MW.

there was a sixth tunnel also possible.initially we didn't thought it would be that essential.i talked with my uncle he was on original team who actually proposed this design.he say this project will last forever despite people saying about 85 year life

he say this project will last forever despite people saying about 85 year life
Yes the project could last for a long time but the water storage capacity will be reduced and eventually it will become a ROR dam.

there was a sixth tunnel also possible.initially we didn't thought it would be that essential.i talked with my uncle he was on original team who actually proposed this design.he say this project will last forever despite people saying about 85 year life

85 years is given for water storage. But this will be further increased by 60 years once Bhasha dam is build.

85 years is given for water storage. But this will be further increased by 60 years once Bhasha dam is build.
thats what we hear but god have been kind to us.silt have not gathered as we expected.and with this 5th one being operational.we can expect more silt washes away.so we can say it not in our life time

Have the people in power given any thought to de-silting. The silt that is accumulating is very fertile mud. Pakistan should develop the technology to remove the silt and use it over land which is less fertile and at the same time keep the capacity of Terbela from decreasing.

Building so many Dams, without first changing our methods of irrigation or stop growing water intensive crops altogether is running into a disaster at breakneck speed.

Building so many Dams, without first changing our methods of irrigation or stop growing water intensive crops altogether is running into a disaster at breakneck speed.
There are arguments for and against. We need electricity and dams provide that. But it also snatches the livelihoods of farmers dependent on river water. Now I am no professional but it sounds like over population and struggle for resources in the next few years is going to be big problems in the future. This is part of these two great underlying problems.

Have the people in power given any thought to de-silting. The silt that is accumulating is very fertile mud. Pakistan should develop the technology to remove the silt and use it over land which is less fertile and at the same time keep the capacity of Terbela from decreasing.
Yes there was a survey done and it was decided not to de-silt as it would have adverse affect on the turbines as well as downstream barrages. Also it won't be cost effective.

Building dams/reservoirs is important for any country for storage of water and flood mitigation. The irrigation practice is different matter but linked to the overall water use. Managing water resource efficiently would be a must with the growing population. Modern irrigation will require investment which the small farmers are unable to do. So the government need to upgrade the current barrage/canal system together with water courses and build reservoirs. This will free up more water for irrigation. The final step would be to introduce efficient irrigation practices.

We need electricity and dams provide that. But it also snatches the livelihoods of farmers dependent on river water.
Electricity can be produced from other resources but water is a finite resource and lifeline for millions. Water reservoirs are there to secure food production and drinking water. Displaced farmers/families can be allotted land in other parts of the country.... We have made so much progress in defense I think it is time we concentrate our efforts on securing water for our future generations.

There are arguments for and against. We need electricity and dams provide that. But it also snatches the livelihoods of farmers dependent on river water. Now I am no professional but it sounds like over population and struggle for resources in the next few years is going to be big problems in the future. This is part of these two great underlying problems.

Building dams/reservoirs is important for any country for storage of water and flood mitigation. The irrigation practice is different matter but linked to the overall water use. Managing water resource efficiently would be a must with the growing population. Modern irrigation will require investment which the small farmers are unable to do. So the government need to upgrade the current barrage/canal system together with water courses and build reservoirs. This will free up more water for irrigation. The final step would be to introduce efficient irrigation practices.

I am all for building dams as I directly suffer from floods every year with massive losses to crops, livestock & farm machinery. No matter how big or small the floods are in size. Having more dams would reduce all those losses, but I also know without floods the under water table would also drop lower massively & may also disappear altogether writhin a decade or two of all these dams being built. Our methods of agriculture ( as in choices of crops ) & irrigation ( using turbinepumps for pulling underground water ) are disastrous in the long run ( well not so long run if you consider a few decades a mere blip in time ). Now 60% of our population is agri-dependant & so is our economy.

My fear is how on earth are we going to cop with the consequences ?

To avoid any disastrous impact on our economy, society & the nation at large we have only 2 options,

Either we industrialise & industrialise quick in the next 2 decades & that requires a revolution in both electrical & mechanical fields & even more urbanisation. Which I don't see happening. Although urbanisation would continue or may even increase if we fail to industrialise.

Or we revolutionise our agriculture. Now that requires not only alternate methods of agriculture but also training, encouragement & incentives & even legislation. Discourage the cultivation of water intensive crops like Rice & Sugar Cane. Invest in seed research & seed banks. Invest in agri & vet sciences. All in all make agriculture a priority, which frankly I don't see happening any time soon under this Faqeer/Lohar/Sherhri Babu tola.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom