What's new

$4bn sanctioned for 4 new Guided Missile Frigates with Brahmos for the Indian Navy

The IN will acquir admiral Grigorovich class frigate . which are improved versions of talwar class.

As the Ukrainians are not providing the
M7N.1E propulsion plant to Russia, it is being sold to IN.

But 4 billion for 4 frigates ..WTF .
The shivalik class frigate which is improved version of the grigorovic class
Cost only 340 million each ..
WTF.

Why!!!??? Why aren't we going ahead with our own
Our own P17A, NGC and NGMV are under works. But they are not sufficient for the projected needs . Further we are on the verge of decommissioning 3 older frigates and also adding IAC1 in coming years. This would mean we need atleast 6-8 more frigates by 2021. But the P17A won't come so soon.

$1 bn for one ship very expansive better to modify p-28 to light frigate and add what ever u want.

The offer has been studied by Defence and Finance ministry and they have found the cost to be reasonable. You see P28 is an optimised ASW corvette and cannot replace Talwar Class Duties. Had it been possible , we would not have seen new RFI for NGCs.

Stop buying Russian maal.
Suggest any other alternative by which we will get 6-8 frigates by 2021.

Bro.. 2 ships are being build by India.. I don't see the fuzz why they can't build2 more in India with our own program.

1 billion a ship is not cheap bro.. not at all when we;ve the same ability build such ships..
they're defiantly not going to transfer any core techs to us... and i think the two ships that're going to come from Russia will be without engine and are already build 5 years ago

We can build , and deliver too. But not before 2021.

4 Billion / 4 ships = 1 billion per ship , this is the most idiotic thing. This way only idiots arrived at 250+ million USD figure for Rafales.

Know this ,GSL has till now only built OPVs, to build a warship with this capability , it will need a lot of investments in Manpower and Infrastructure. [Remember we also desperately paid for Yantar upgrade].

Further the cost is reasonable.

Looks like SSN program is set to get momentum. Good.

These frigates are very capable as well. With Brahmos as main missile, packs quite some punch.

bro our own Shivalik class frigate costs less that 500Million a piece... we're paying 1 billion for a Frigate !!! wat's this ??

Its 15+ years. Further the figureon Wikipedia is what is being quoted. Do you know that Barak 1 and associated equipment, Towed Array Sonar, and many other things were procured later and then added to the P17s.

We have spent near 650 on P17s . And lot of time has elapsed since.

I think IN is missing the trick here...Goa had experience in the building saryu class opv....why not allow it to modify the design and build armed version with Brahmos and brarak 8?
And order 10 of em for the same amount!! Considering saryu class ships are 92 million $ each!!
This is utter waste of money!!
Even kamotra based frigate offered for phillipines navy would be good enough...numbers are the key!!
And range of saryu class ships is 6000kms!!

Lol, there is a reason why Indian Navy has called for a fresh RFI for Next Generation Corvettes , and not just used the P28/Saryu class.

You can even buy fishing trawlers and add BrahMos to it. Go do it.

bro our own Shivalik class frigate costs less that 500Million a piece... we're paying 1 billion for a Frigate !!! wat's this ??
Do you think Indian ship design is superior to Russians and other western nations?I don't think so. See that case of our Kolkata class,it's as heavy as US navy Burk class but way too inferior when comes to fire power,shivalik class definitely heavier than talwar class but later one match with shivalik in firepower. Now let's see the case of Israeli Saar class coverty ,it's as good as Indian frigate when comes to fire power.

And I don't doubt IN here,they are the only force who supporting Indian defence industry since ages,if they are choosing this Russian boat means there is definitely something will be there in that vessel which we can't deny.

Seeking to further strengthen the Navy's capabilities, the defence ministry has cleared a proposal worth Rs 20,000 crore to buy four state-of-the-art warships equipped with the deadly BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.
How is 20,000 Crore equal to $4 Billion. Last I checked the USD to INR was at around 67. By that calculation INR 20,000 crore is equal to around $3 Billion. Which means each frigate will cost around $750 Million.

$1 bn for one ship very expansive better to modify p-28 to light frigate and add what ever u want.
Its upgraded Krivek class and it will built by Reliance owned shipyard, 2 from there and 2 from Russian shipyard.

I don't understand IN policy of ordering in traches of 3-4!! Instead they should go for a modular design and upgrade them progressively by ordering 8-10 ships per class!! Huge orders will bring the cost down!
IN does induct similar numbers but in tranches due to amount covered and support infrastructure can be built over a time only including manpower training. That can't be done in 5-6 years.

I think IN is missing the trick here...Goa had experience in the building saryu class opv....why not allow it to modify the design and build armed version with Brahmos and brarak 8?
And order 10 of em for the same amount!! Considering saryu class ships are 92 million $ each!!
Even kamotra based frigate offered for phillipines navy would be good enough...numbers are the key!!
I believe navy operating the boats since long time will have more knowledge and actionable information than us keyboard warriors, what do you say mate?

That's good to know... then why waste huge money on just 4 Ships??? If they want more talwars then get those 2 in Russia, which can be added to the navy in short time.. and spend the rest of the 2 billions on additional P-17a or for the subs
I think it's because of lack of enough submariners in higher ranks IN....submarine arm is not getting enough attention!

Its upgraded Krivek class and it will built by Reliance owned shipyard, 2 from there and 2 from Russian shipyard.

IN does induct similar numbers but in tranches due to amount covered and support infrastructure can be built over a time only including manpower training. That can't be done in 5-6 years.

I believe navy operating the boats since long time will have more knowledge and actionable information than us keyboard warriors, what do you say mate?
In that case trump would know more about America....modi would know more about governance....Pakistan more about Hafiz....China knows more about dalai lama...
Then ask mods to close this thread and shut this forum down!!!

IN wants to replace decommissioning ships quickly without hindering local production lines. Money is not matter when Priorities matter. P17s or P28s are to support carrier groups these are to take care other tasks.

Why!!!??? Why aren't we going ahead with our own
We are building our very own as well as getting from Russian JV. Further this is the top frigate in market presently on multirole capabilities.

Stop buying Russian maal.
It will be built in India as well.

Bro.. 2 ships are being build by India.. I don't see the fuzz why they can't build2 more in India with our own program.

1 billion a ship is not cheap bro.. not at all when we;ve the same ability build such ships..
they're defiantly not going to transfer any core techs to us... and i think the two ships that're going to come from Russia will be without engine and are already build 5 years ago
India can build all it wants but can it do in less time, no simply because all our current production lines are packed beyond capacity for next few years. It's price is not 1 billion dollars per ship, that's wrong calculation. We all might have the capability to build it again but we don't have time. And yes they have already transferred the technology which we need, just it will not be published in news articles for brownie points. That's why most of Indian Russian projects are inked as black projects to limit media intervention to minimum. There is no benefit in publishing classified information in open press.

And what is the standard load of Shivalik Class against upgraded Krivek or Gregorvich class frigate? And once again we are not paying 4 billion dollars for four frigate boats only.

Because His has its hand already full, did you not see their future orders and pipeline projects.

I do not know but new frigates will be much more deadlier in fire power and probably a loads of weapon will come with them.
It's the top frigate in international market, recent survey listing. Russian won hands down multirole mission.

I do not know but new frigates will be much more deadlier in fire power and probably a loads of weapon will come with them.
It's the top frigate in international market, recent survey listing. Russian won hands down multirole mission.

That is why. Else why India will contract russia for that. MRSAM , new HUMSA and MF star will add to its lethality and make it unique and much better than anything in the class.

No bro... it's going to be the same as Talwar class frigates... and there're 2 frigates which were build and left in Russian yards because Ukraine no longer provide russia with Engines... they'll transfer those ships to India and India has to get the engine from Ukraine... and as for as i know Ukraine already agreed to provide the Engines for India. and the rest of the 2 shilps will be build by GSL.. Shivalik has more space than talwar to pack a punch.. I don't knoow what's up with the Navy after the change of Admiral.
Many assume that since IN indigenous boats are heavier, thus they must similar weapon loadout, however once once boats are put in water, reality hits everyone. We are not there yet, we have to keep building to get there, but while building ourselves we have to ensure IN also has the best machine possible. Our boats don't have the space to put more weapons without considerably reducing combat radius, that's the real truth.
In regards to boat this is the class of boat upgraded Krivek class for which India had signed the deal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Grigorovich-class_frigate
http://idrw.org/indias-latest-admiral-grigorovich-class-frigate-deal-explained/
http://www.military-today.com/navy/admiral_grigorovich_class.htm
http://in.rbth.com/multimedia/video...orovich-guided-missile-stealth-frigate_640287

http://www.janes.com/article/62776/...dmiral-grigorovich-class-frigates-from-russia

Many assume that since IN indigenous boats are heavier, thus they must similar weapon loadout, however once once boats are put in water, reality hits everyone. We are not there yet, we have to keep building to get there, but while building ourselves we have to ensure IN also has the best machine possible. Our boats don't have the space to put more weapons without considerably reducing combat radius, that's the real truth.
In regards to boat this is the class of boat upgraded Krivek class for which India had signed the deal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_Grigorovich-class_frigate
http://idrw.org/indias-latest-admiral-grigorovich-class-frigate-deal-explained/
http://www.military-today.com/navy/admiral_grigorovich_class.htm
http://in.rbth.com/multimedia/video...orovich-guided-missile-stealth-frigate_640287

http://www.janes.com/article/62776/...dmiral-grigorovich-class-frigates-from-russia

Chinese Type 52 D and kolkatta class has same wight inspite of Kolkatta class being longer by few meters in two digit. Both has same range. So it becomes difficult to agree with you.

That's good to know... then why waste huge money on just 4 Ships??? If they want more talwars then get those 2 in Russia, which can be added to the navy in short time.. and spend the rest of the 2 billions on additional P-17a or for the subs
P17A & subs are already under building, two shipyard for sub and two for frigates.

The IN will acquir admiral Grigorovich class frigate . which are improved versions of talwar class.

As the Ukrainians are not providing the
M7N.1E propulsion plant to Russia, it is being sold to IN.

But 4 billion for 4 frigates ..WTF .
The shivalik class frigate which is improved version of the grigorovic class
Cost only 340 million each ..
WTF.
It's not four billion for four frigates.

I think it's because of lack of enough submariners in higher ranks IN....submarine arm is not getting enough attention!

In that case trump would know more about America....modi would know more about governance....Pakistan more about Hafiz....China knows more about dalai lama...
Then ask mods to close this thread and shut this forum down!!!
Submarine has got the attention which it needed most, we have one SSBN line, one SSN line under building, one SSK line in Mumbai, one SSK line in Vizag, four are more than enough to churn out required numbers but what more important is personnel training which can't be done in one day even if one trains with the best. It comes with time. In regards to your rants, that's not worth replying. Thank you.

IN wants to replace decommissioning ships quickly without hindering local production lines. Money is not matter when Priorities matter. P17s or P28s are to support carrier groups these are to take care other tasks.
It will be also part of CBG due to immense firepower.

That is why. Else why India will contract russia for that. MRSAM , new HUMSA and MF star will add to its lethality and make it unique and much better than anything in the class.
That will not happen had it has already best available weapon load out available out there along with powerful sensors. 8 UVLM Bramhos cell, 24/36 VLS anti air missile, apart from latest igla missile excluding anti submarine and main guns. Compare that with Shivalik load.

Chinese Type 52 D and kolkatta class has same wight inspite of Kolkatta class being longer by few meters in two digit. Both has same range. So it becomes difficult to agree with you.
There are lot of things unknown about Chinese naval destroyer including combat radius so it would be not perfect to compare them. If basic variables are known, It can be compared.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom