3 Asian workers missing after Saudi Arabian oil rig sinks in Safaniya Oil Field

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
3 Asian workers missing after Saudi oil rig sinks

Last updated: Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:36 AM

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Saudi Arabia's official news agency says three Asian workers are missing while several others suffered minor injuries after an offshore mobile rig belonging to the country's oil giant sank during maintenance work.

A statement from the Saudi Arabian Oil Co., known as Aramco, says 24 workers were rescued following Friday's accident in the waters off the coast of Al-Safaniya region — the site of the world's largest offshore oil field. Two of the missing are from India while the third worker is a Bangladeshi.

The statement was carried by the SPA news agency.

Aramco says rescue teams are still searching for the missing workers. The company says the incident will be investigated and that it's not expected to affect overall production.

Saudi Arabia is the world's top oil producer. — AP

Saudi Gazette - 3 Asian workers missing after Saudi oil rig sinks

الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

Safaniya Oil Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oil field is located not far from areas like this:

GulfPrintFilm02-08.tif
by mikee84, on Flickr

GulfPrintFilm02-28.tif
by mikee84, on Flickr

3 Asian workers missing after Saudi oil rig sinks

Last updated: Saturday, December 28, 2013 11:36 AM

Saudi Gazette - 3 Asian workers missing after Saudi oil rig sinks

الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا اليه راجعون

Safaniya Oil Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oil field is located not far from areas like this:

GulfPrintFilm02-08.tif
by mikee84, on Flickr

GulfPrintFilm02-28.tif
by mikee84, on Flickr
A very sad news. I happen to work in this industry here in my country. The article did not specify what cause the rig to sunk. I believe it will come up in the safety alert soon. News like will circulate within the industry pretty quick so everybody could learn from the mistake(s). Wish they would be found and recovered alive.

A very sad news. I happen to work in this industry here in my country. The article did not specify what cause the rig to sunk. I believe it will come up in the safety alert soon. News like will circulate within the industry pretty quick so everybody could learn from the mistake(s). Wish they would be found and recovered alive.

Oh, really brother? What a coincidence. My father worked for Aramco recently and also had experience with working on oil fields offshore for a few years in his early days. That was long, long ago.

Yes, this is very sad news. Worst thing would be if they were never found. Nothing worse than that I imagine. Then better be found dead than never at least. Of course outside of founding them alive!

Quite a few things could go wrong in a worse case scenario as you might already know.

But unfortunately they were found dead.:(

Bodies of Aramco workers retrieved

DHAHRAN: ARAB NEWS

Published — Sunday 29 December 2013

Last update 29 December 2013 1:35 am

The Coast Guard has found the bodies of three Asian workers at sea after they went missing when Saudi Aramco’s offshore platform sank.
“They were all found. We found two of them late Friday and another one on Saturday morning,” Eastern Province Coast Guard spokesman Col. Khaled Alarqubi said. The platform was being used to carry out maintenance work at an oil well in Safaniya, the world’s largest offshore oilfield about 265 km north of Dhahran.
Saudi Aramco conveyed its condolences to the relatives of the three workers — two Indians and a Bangladeshi.
Saudi Aramco’s Rapid Response Team began searching for the three missing workers immediately after the maintenance platform sank.
The bodies have been handed to the authorities, a statement from Saudi Aramco said Saturday.
The moment the accident was reported, the Rapid Response Team launched a massive search operation with the help of helicopters, boats, specialized diving teams and evacuation teams. They retrieved the sinking vessel and minimized the casualties by rescuing 24 workers on board the platform. Some of them are being treated for their injuries.

Bodies of Aramco workers retrieved | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Always had great respect for the fallen people of the sea.

Oh, really brother? What a coincidence. My father worked for Aramco recently and also had experience with working on oil fields offshore for a few years in his early days. That was long, long ago.

Yes, this is very sad news. Worst thing would be if they were never found. Nothing worse than that I imagine. Then better be found dead than never at least. Of course outside of founding them alive!

Quite a few things could go wrong in a worse case scenario as you might already know.

But unfortunately they were found dead.:(

Bodies of Aramco workers retrieved | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Always had great respect for the fallen people of the sea.
Sad news. This is not the first time and I really can't guarantee if this will be the last. A much worst incidents happen everywhere in the world. Piper alpha in north sea, deepwater horizon in gulf of mexico and now this. Wish aramco will release their incident investigation result soon. It will benefit the industry once we find out what are the causes of this incident.

Btw, good to know that your father is currently working in this industry. You can follow his step, after all this industry is very challenging and demanding. For a chemical engineer like you, we can ask you to engineer our drilling mud. Unless you have opt a more challenging job.

I want to watch this video but I can't, really can't. I have a 3 years old baby girl and thinking about her safety all the time.

Sad news. This is not the first time and I really can't guarantee if this will be the last. A much worst incidents happen everywhere in the world. Piper alpha in north sea, deepwater horizon in gulf of mexico and now this. Wish aramco will release their incident investigation result soon. It will benefit the industry once we find out what are the causes of this incident.

Btw, good to know that your father is currently working in this industry. You can follow his step, after all this industry is very challenging and demanding. For a chemical engineer like you, we can ask you to engineer our drilling mud. Unless you have opt a more challenging job.

I want to watch this video but I can't, really can't. I have a 3 years old baby girl and thinking about her safety all the time.

You are right, this is considered as a small incident compared to the worst incidents involving oil fields but nevertheless a tragic one, as you rightly say.

ARAMCO will no doubt publish a investigation report. They are already working on that.

Yes, I also thought about switching to petroleum engineering which is very much a possibility. The fields are not that far from each other and kind of related. At least this is possible. My father used to work for ARAMCO but not anymore. He is getting a bit old. Turns 60 this year. He works for a private firm today back in KSA but the work also brings him outside of the country.

You should not really watch it bro. Horrible. I literary had tears in my eyes. Normally I am not the guy that cries every time he seems something sad but the video was bad. Was thinking about my nephews and youngest sister.

Yes, if you are a proud father of a beautiful 3 year old daughter then this makes it even worse to watch considering that this girl, Lama, was not much older - 6 years old. Horrible to think that her body is yet to be found.

Anyway the reason I posted it hear was because I just saw the video and I did not want to make a thread out of it.

Poor girl. Very heartbreaking :(
May she rest in peace

:tup:

Horrible news.:( May Allah give her family patience and strength.

:tup:

Remember to always appreciate what we have. Life can change in an instance.

Back
Top Bottom