What's new

2nd ship of India's new destroyer line, the Visakhapatnam-class, will be launched on Sept 17

Not enough for PLAN. We need stealth nuclear submarines with hyper-sonic missiles. Sourya as AShM on Arihant class is the best bet.

Any Idea if this is built using modular constructions ? These Weld lines are horrible and have not been levelled out.

AFAIK we haven't started modular construction yet. Nor i have seen any one talking about modular construction in vishakha. Alhogh one poster above quoted it to be modular @R!CK

P15B is employing modular construction. The answer is already on one of the posts pasted here.

Manu Pubby ‏@manupubby_ET 1h1 hour ago
Big opportunity for private yards in P 15B. Ten of the 16 blocks outsourced to other yards: Navy @ETDefence

P.S: Among public sector shipyards, MDL and GRSE employ modular construction whereas, L&T and Pipavav are the private yards. This is an answer for anyone wondering how L&T is delivering units upto 23 months in advance. They dont just employ modular construction, but actually thrive on it with a very organised plan.

Good Day!

Last edited:
17A is next gen Frigates.Its 15B Bangaluru Class.

Its bangalore class or vizag class???

Not enough for PLAN. We need stealth nuclear submarines with hyper-sonic missiles. Sourya as AShM on Arihant class is the best bet.

I think its enoug if we utilize its full capacity and add more firepower unlike kolkata class...

But yes... we do need more subs.

CsT8amBVUAIez3D.jpg:large

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @SrNair @sree45 @MilSpec etc

*This is what she'll look like in 2018.

New Stealth Qualities In India’s P17A Frigates?

LIVEFIST·WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2016
-pz5JhcNQ9P.png

14322223_1157394687632486_648956507092032293_n.jpg

Project 17A Stealth Frigate / Indian Navy
Excellent little nugget buried in an Indian Navy briefing today on the P15B destroyer line was this official art of the P17A stealth frigate. The follow-on class to the successful and proven P17/Shivalik-class, the P17A is known to be under build with significantly greater stealth qualities in its superstructures. While there's been some guesswork over the years about precisely how Directorate of Naval Design plans to hone the Shivalik-class for greater stealth (this isn’t the first art out there, there have been a few over the years), this image suggests a cleaner approach with higher inclines and a modular deck configuration.
The hope is that stealth will be significantly higher in these two classes than their predecessor classes.Livefist’s sources confirm that the P17A borrows stealth sensibilities being infused in the P15B destroyer line, with several areas of commonality in materials, system/housing shaping and deck assembly configuration.
Sure, art is art. But if this is the way the Indian Navy is going, it's more proof that its ship design and build capabilities are among the finest in the world.

While it's too early to say how exactly it'll turn out (although we can be sure it will be fairly similar to the existing Shivalik), I would be more than happy if they decide to omit the RBU-6000/IRL rocket launchers.

They do offer an additional capability (which is considered unnecessary by most European/Chinese ships) but they are playing a huge part in ruining whatever radar signature-reduction features we implement.

While it's too early to say how exactly it'll turn out (although we can be sure it will be fairly similar to the existing Shivalik), I would be more than happy if they decide to omit the RBU-6000/IRL rocket launchers.

They do offer an additional capability (which is considered unnecessary by most European/Chinese ships) but they are playing a huge part in ruining whatever radar signature-reduction features we implement.
I'm not so sure that the RBU-6000 mounts play such a serious part of the ships overall RCS. They do look out of place in otherwise sleek and integrated decks but the IN must have operational reasons for keeping them as part of the standard fit for all major surface combatants.

What I really want to see is the new gun CIWS that the IN is hunting for make its way onto these beasts. The AK-630 is very much yesterday's tech.

I hear each ship is costing over one billion dollars..each..

But these are so powerful they could take on most of the neighbours navies single handedly
Yeah around $1 billion each but then any modern destroyer with similar capability will cost as much if not more.

I'm not so sure that the RBU-6000 mounts play such a serious part of the ships overall RCS. They do look out of place in otherwise sleek and integrated decks but the IN must have operational reasons for keeping them as part of the standard fit for all major surface combatants.

What I really want to see is the new gun CIWS that the IN is hunting for make its way onto these beasts. The AK-630 is very much yesterday's tech.

In all likelihood, the selection for a new CIWS gun will be an international competition/tender. Don't expect that to get sorted any time soon.

In all likelihood, the selection for a new CIWS gun will be an international competition/tender. Don't expect that to get sorted any time soon.
Indeed it is and the IN begun the process over a year ago but yes, I don't expect an outcome for some time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom