What's new

2016 Was a Big Year for China's Military: Carriers, Missiles and More

I would be careful when talking about these things my friend. No one really knows the extent of NK's nuclear program. No one.

And for the US missile defense. Last year the Israel fired 2 Patriot missiles at an UAV that penetrated its airspace from Syria and still failed to bring it down. An F-16 also tried to shoot it down but also failed. Nothing is absolute in this world.

Thanks, bro. But even with that, we can't call NK as great power. If with just nuclear and NK can be considered as great power, then why China needs to develop hypersonic speed vehicle, build SSBN, and long range bomber? Plus, NK doesn't have the capability to defend their nuclear arsenal. Any great power can conduct surgical attack to destroy their nuclear facility before Kim can equip NK missile with nuclear.

NK doesn't even possess GPS model of satellite, that can deliver their missile to the target, after being launch from NK. And their missile stock is limited. Not only US, even China can track their missile launch site and destroy them before Kim Jong Un can decide to push the "launch" button and active their nuclear arsenal.

Major power can afford to fight proxy war far away from home while small power can only take beating and destruction at their home turf.

By having CV, powerful navy, strong overseas power projection like large transport plane, strategic bomber are only the thing to allow such proxy war to happen.

WHAT'S THE MAJOR POWER?

If one checks the definition of the major power, the most common definition (linguistics) is "a politically organized body of people under a single government, powerful enough to influence events throughout the world".

I would like to expand it qualitatively that a major power should possess following traits or criteria:

- "certain size" of population and geography or landmass -- these traits automatically deny any smaller nation to be a major power irregardless its economic state nowadays (eg. Japan, South Korea let alone North Korea, Singapore, Nordic and Scandinavian countries, the wealthy Petrodollar Gulf states, and so on) or military state (eg. Israel). Even the First World countries like Germany, France and the Great Britain will be struggling to meet these criteria. India does meet these population and landmass factors yet it will still have to work very hard to meet the economic and military aspects in particular.

And the landmass factor is an absolute constraint for a nation can not expand it (in normal, peaceful situation)!

- the huge economic power incl. the significant manufacturing capacities and capabilities (huge and deep industrialization)

- the huge military power (land, sea, air and the rocketry forces) includes but not limited to the nuclear arms and space capabilities

- advanced technological prowess and significant resources of R&D (a major nation is supposed be able to produce the many of important manufactured goods domestically, not only can afford to purchase them... and arguably, keeps on rejuvenating itself)

- (feel free to add other important traits)

That's why on today's world there are only three "known" major powers: USA, China and Russia, though such official recognition never exist (I guess such recognition is quite sensitive in the international politics, along with its implications).

Last edited:
WHAT'S THE MAJOR POWER?

If one checks the definition of the major power, the most common definition (linguistics) is "a politically organized body of people under a single government, powerful enough to influence events throughout the world".

I would like to expand it qualitatively that a major power should possess following traits or criteria:

- "certain size" of population and geography or landmass -- these traits automatically deny any smaller nation to be a major power irregardless its economic state nowadays (eg. Japan, South Korea let alone North Korea, Singapore, Nordic and Scandinavian countries, the wealthy Petrodollar Gulf states, and so on) or military state (eg. Israel). Even the First World countries like Germany, France and the Great Britain will be struggling to meet these criteria. India does meet these population and landmass factors yet it will still have to work very hard to meet the economic and military aspects in particular.

And the landmass factor is an absolute constraint for a nation can not expand it (in normal, peaceful situation)!

- the huge economic power incl. the significant manufacturing capacities and capabilities (huge and deep industrialization)

- the huge military power (land, sea, air and the rocketry forces) includes but not limited to the nuclear arms and space capabilities

- advanced technological prowess and significant resources of R&D (a major nation is supposed be able to produce the many of important manufactured goods domestically, not only can afford to purchase them... and arguably, keeps on rejuvenating itself)

- (feel free to add other important traits)

That's why on today's world there are only three "known" major powers: USA, China and Russia, though such official recognition never exist (I guess such recognition is quite sensitive in the international politics, along with its implications).

True. That's why I said before that being "Great Power" is not limited to possessed nuclear weapon, and I give the example of North Korea.

Back
Top Bottom