2000 Indian Soldiers Committed Suicide In IOK

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2,000 jawans took own lives in J&K, says study
Srinagar, June 3. 2012, DHNS:

There has been a sharp rise in suicides in the Army and other para-military forces deployed in Jammu and Kashmir and a recent research carried by a leading sociologist of the valley has revealed that 1,500 to 2,000 soldiers have committed suicide in the last two decades.

The research by Prof Bashir Ahmad Dabla, head of the Sociology department of Kashmir University, says that a majority of the soldiers who committed suicides were married.

While there has been no exact number of total suicides in the state available as no official survey has been carried out in this regard, unofficial estimates vary from 7,000 to 20,000 in 20 years. However, Prof Dabla’s research carried out from 2009-2011 said armed forces share of suicides was around 2,000 cases.

“Since official records in this regard have remained confidential, the authentic figures and credible estimates are not possible easily. However, the relevant information from the local press suggests the number could be close to 2,000,” he told Deccan Herald.

The suicides, Prof Dabla said, were committed by personnel of the Army, soldiers from BSF, CRPF, ITBP and CISF and they belonged to all regions of the country. “However, there was a slightly higher number of suicides from the south Indian states,” he added. The common method of suicides, the research reveals, was shooting oneself with service rifle

“In certain such cases, the person committing suicide not only shoot himself but also killed his colleagues and senior officers also,” it added.

One of the reasons of suicides in armed forces, the research says “was denial on the part of authorities to sanction leave.”

“The second apparent reason reported in the press was that they often felt depressed and tension after counter insurgency operations which involved abuse, excesses, atrocities and violation of basic human rights against civilians.”

The third reason, the researcher found was that despite harsh and unbearable conditions in Jammu and Kashmir, the armed forces were not provided all necessary facilities needed for their safety and security.

“The fourth apparent reason reported was the verbal inter-personal altercation between various members of the armed forces on material and non-material issues which often led to the attempt of committing suicides,” the research added.

Probes kept secret

While all the cases of suicides in Jammu and Kashmir have been investigated officially, the research says all reports were kept confidential and not released.

“A scientific, professional and comprehensive study/survey of suicides in the armed forces in Jammu and Kashmir must be carried out immediately. The necessary records must be made available to identify the trend and direction of the suicides,” Prof Dabla demanded.

A senior army official wishing anonymity said that the army is losing more soldiers due to suicides than in action.

“There is need to strengthen formal and informal interaction between soldiers and officers. Leave policy, especially for soldiers posted in difficult areas, should be liberalised so that a soldier can go home to sort out his domestic problems,” he said.

2,000 jawans took own lives in J&K, says study

It is a sad trend, hope the new chief takes some serious steps to mitigate this state...

Suicides may be a global menace but it seems to be a sad trend amongst Indian society, another author also carried out this study.

Alarming Suicide Rate Amongst Indians

During my recent visit to India I came across some interesting news, which has been in my mind ever since. For the Indian media it was not that important - they printed it in some corner in the inside pages, to fill some empty space, while the electronic media did not bother to report it at all.
I am talking about the high suicide rate among India's central forces that guard its border and look after its internal security. This rate is also very high among India's farmers, who feed the country.

Of the two, news about suicides on India's farms have been doing the rounds for some time now, but what I found surprising is that it is also very high in the security forces.

Media reports note that every 30 minutes, a farmer commits suicide in India.

Following is, further, the number of suicides by security forces: 38 suicides in CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force - like our own RCMP in Canada); 36 suicides in BSF (Border Security Force); 11 in SSB (Sashastra Seema Bal - Armed Border Force); 10 in CISS (Central Industrial Security Force); 8 in Assam Rifles; 4 in ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police); and 2 suicides in NSG (National Security Guard).

The above figures are for the first 10 months of 2011 (so the number would likely have grown by year-end) from a combined personnel strength of less than 500,000. The figure does not include the personnel from the regular Army, Air Force and Navy; it also does not include the numbers from fratricide, or family murders.

Further, more than 8,500 personnel opted for VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme) because they were unable to cope with the workplace environment, and persuaded themselves to opt for VRS rather than commit suicide.

The question that arises is whether it is the Government of India that is to blame, or whether it is the pressure from the new economic revolution in India.

Whatever be the cause, I myself feel it is the human mind that decides to take the fatal step of taking one's own life, perhaps due to depression. But why?

In the Hindu religion, life is defined as a roller-coaster ride with many ups and downs. It is up to the individual mind to take the pressure - though, like in the ride, one has to buckle up and face it with pleasure, in positive spirit.

It is easy to say that life is a reality. But many times one gets the feeling of being helpless. The situation gets beyond the individual's control. This is the time when one's inner self guides one to control the individual's mind. As in the Bhagwat Gita Lord Krishna told Arjun: "Do your duty (Karma) to the best of your ability and leave the rest to Destiny which will follow you automatically."

I always remember that when one's favourite door shuts down, Destiny opens another door for you. And I always believe that whatever happens your way, might also happen for the best for you. So why must one take one's life?

Thoughts generate action, which create reaction. When one concludes that he or she has no purpose to live, that defeatist thought generates the reaction for suicide.

That, I believe, is the job environment in the Indian security forces, or of the farmers' poor conditions, which lead to such high suicide rates. There is meanwhile no meaningful or sympathetic guidance from the Defence authorities, when defending the country overrides the security personnel's personal welfare. And in similar fashion, there is no direct or indirect social/family support to farmers.

Every individual wants happiness. The secret of happiness is that one must first accept that happiness is a journey and not a destination. To be happy one must appreciate the beauty of life. Appreciate the present and live for today only.

Life is not perfect. There is grief and sadness all around. But the mind has to accept the fact that life's ups and downs must not crush the soul, or being in a helpless situation should not hold up our 'Karma'.

These are my views. But in respect of the security personnel who took their lives, had the Government of India/Defence Department acted rightfully and empathetically, these souls, who volunteered for their country, would have been saved.

But the politicians and bureaucrats couldn't care less. There is no debate in Parliament, no comment in media. Their own concern is mafia-style corruption and materialistic happiness for themselves.

South Asian Focus - The Voice of Brampton's South Asian Community

Sad..............
the grievances needs to be addressed.
why wait till it comes to that stage, all incidents must be studied and steps should be taken to avoid these things. In US there are counsellors who deal with soldiers under pressure, we need to do the same, these guys protect us with their lives, the forces and govt should care more bout them.. A sad trend indeed.

This problem is not only present in INDIA but throughout the world among the Armies facing war like conditions.

This graph shows the suicide rate of US Army in the previous years

suicides-brain-injuries.jpg

Suicides among Army personnel up 80% in four years

Army suicide rates

The study authors estimated that 25% to 50% of the suicides were directly related to the combat commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan. (M. Ryder / Tribune Media Services)

March 8, 2012, 9:56 a.m.
Suicide among young Army personnel is among the saddest tolls of the country's two long wars this century. A report released Thursday found suicides among U.S. Army personnel rose 80% between 2004 and 2008.

For the last years in which data were available in this study, 2007 and 2008, 255 soldiers took their lives. The authors estimated that 25% to 50% of the suicides were directly related to the combat commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan. From 1977 to 2003, suicide rates among active U.S. Army personnel were decreasing.

The suicide figures stand out against a backdrop of rising rates of mental health disorders among enlisted personnel -- what the authors of the study call "sentinels for suicide risk." From 2000 to 2008, rates of adjustment disorders, mood disorders, anxiety disorders and substance-abuse disorders have soared in the Army. The number of visits for mental health disorders among personnel nearly doubled during this time.

"The 2008 rate [of mental health problems in personnel] indicates that more than one-fifth of all active duty soldiers had an ambulatory visit for a mental health disorder, implying a prevalent public health problem," the authors wrote.

They called suicides "the tip of the mental health iceberg."

Among the 255 suicides in 2007-2008, 17% of the soldiers previously had been hospitalized for a mental health problem during that year and 50% had visited a health professional for a mental health issue.

The suicide rate in the Army has surpassed that of the civilian population, according to the authors.

Army personnel suicides up 80% in four years - latimes.com

Having said that..we must also look into the problem and i can say that IA is making a lot of effort to reduce the stress level of our jawans.We have home theaters in every company and Satellite TV connections,Yoga sessions,games,gym etc so that the jawans can relax after a tough day at work.There was also talk of setting up a commity to create a organisation which will look after the problems faced by jawans back home and looking after those problem..So steps are being taken and the results will definitely show sooner than later.

Suicides increase in paramilitary forces

New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) The number of suicides in paramilitary forces BSF and CRPF has increased in recent years, Minister of State for Home Affairs Jitendra Singh said Wednesday.
Suicides in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) increased from 28 in 2009 to 42 in 2011. The incidents of fragging (one soldier killing other) was five in 2011, he said in a written reply in parliament.
In the Border Security Force (BSF), the number of suicides in 2011 was 39, compared to 26 in 2009.
In 2011, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police saw three suicides, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) recorded 12, the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) recorded 11 while Assam Rifles saw nine suicides.

Army jawan commits suicide in Rajouri
Jammu, Oct 29, 2012, (PTI)
An Army jawan allegedly committed suicide by shooting himself with his service rifle along the Line of Control (LoC) in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir.

Vijay Singh, a newly-recruited jawan, shot himself in Noushera forward belt of Rajouri district last evening, PRO, Defence, Col R K Palta said here today.

The Army has ordered a Court of Inquiry (CoI) into the incident to ascertain the reason behind the suicide, he said.

The 22-year-old jawan was taken by his colleagues to the hospital where he was declared brought dead.

Singh hailed from Faridabad in Haryana and the body is being shifted to his native place.

In another incident, a Special Police Official (SPO) Mohmmad Riyaz tried to consume poison at his residence in Darhal area of Rajouri district and was shifted to hospital for treatment last night.

Army jawan commits suicide in Rajouri

This is both sad and disturbing.....one could understand a mature person stationed away from home for duration of period but for some one only 22 and newly recruited, it's very tragic.
RIP.

Windjammer do you have an unnatural obsession with Indian suicides?? This has got to be your 5th such article on the subject. nd once again it is the same figures so I don't know what you are adding to what you've already said. As I've said before whilst each death is tragic, looked at relative to other armies the rates are infinitely small (<0.3% of the IA/CAPFs) and I'd suspect far better than in the PA and PLA but we can't compare because these armies for some reason don't publish any such figures so good on IA for being so open.

Trying to score cheap points on the deaths of others is worse than despicable- this has got to be the work of the sickest of the the sick.

Trying to score cheap points on the deaths of others is worse than despicable- this has got to be the work of the sickest of the the sick.

i think hes just trying to portray tht Indian ppl are weak or something

but sick are the ppl thanking such posts almost as if in glee:disagree:

This problem is not only present in INDIA but throughout the world among the Armies facing war like conditions.

This graph shows the suicide rate of US Army in the previous years

suicides-brain-injuries.jpg

Army personnel suicides up 80% in four years - latimes.com

Having said that..we must also look into the problem and i can say that IA is making a lot of effort to reduce the stress level of our jawans.We have home theaters in every company and Satellite TV connections,Yoga sessions,games,gym etc so that the jawans can relax after a tough day at work.There was also talk of setting up a commity to create a organisation which will look after the problems faced by jawans back home and looking after those problem..So steps are being taken and the results will definitely show sooner than later.

While very informative, you seriously think facts are going to stop some mentally deranged trollers from trollin? :P

Stop your vile propaganda for a change, OP! These are not all soldiers of the Army. These are mostly central police forces. How many PA soldiers have committed suicide and deserted their posts? We'll never know the truth as news about such stuff is heavily censored by the ISPR.

So go take a walk and get some fresh air instead of continually blabbering about India. Seems you have no work to do but surf the net 24x7 to dig out any anti India nonsense for brownie points.

Windjammer do you have an unnatural obsession with Indian suicides?? This has got to be your 5th such article on the subject. nd once again it is the same figures so I don't know what you are adding to what you've already said. As I've said before whilst each death is tragic, looked at relative to other armies the rates are infinitely small (<0.3% of the IA/CAPFs) and I'd suspect far better than in the PA and PLA but we can't compare because these armies for some reason don't publish any such figures so good on IA for being so open.

And those who have acute lack of comprehension are usually termed as fools, did you even note the date of the OP.
Besides, i wonder if the Indian media has same mathematical ingunity as you for comparative data......hell why else would they need to publish such news.......they should abide on the despicable level of thoughts....so what if Indian soldiers kill them-self....others do it too.
I must be on a different wavelength.....hell, even the drama queens seem to agree with you. !!

Back
Top Bottom