What's new

20 Road Trips Every Serious Indian Traveller Must Take

I have done 3 of them and 1 in parts......

1) Goa to Mumbai by bike - The whole ride was bangalore - hubli-margaon-mumbai 3 days
2) Chennai to yelagiri - 3 times by car have done Bangalore -Yelagiri twice.....
3) Bangalore to Koorg - 1ce by car.....(mysore to coorg several times by bike)
4) Bangalore to Ooty by Bike (Some one has mentioned in the thread)
4) Bangalore to Munnar in parts
5) Trichy to Munnar by Bike

For me the best was Goa to Mumbai.... The view is just amazing..... and we did the entire stretch in one day.....

For me the best was Goa to Mumbai.... The view is just amazing
This!! I've only done that once but it was really cool!

Chennai-Pondicherry is the one that I've done the most.
Madurai to Munnar - once
Chennai- Ooty

But not much apart from these, sadly have never been up north or north east

When i take retirement, I will most likely travel the country to experience all the old forts and palaces, not to mention the national parks.

Road trip requires lot of stamina at least in India, where road trip means, bad road(some stretch), dust, noise and exhaustion (except for hilly and cold areas). So after retirement age may not permit...........:D

I have done Mumbai to goa on Motorcycle,
Bombay to Pune - Old Highway - motorcycle,
Pune to Goa- Motorcycle/Car,

thats it , haven't traveled much.

that's it? That's considerable considering bike ride. But its too much for me on bike. Reminds me of spondilitis. I can only travel by four wheeler/train.

delhi to jaipir???? why?? name a single good tjing about the trip?

Dust and in Jaipur I asked the traffic constable the way to Maharani Palace and he took 100/- from me for not wearing my seat belt. I was on passenger seat!!....:D

This!! I've only done that once but it was really cool!

Chennai-Pondicherry is the one that I've done the most.
Madurai to Munnar - once
Chennai- Ooty

But not much apart from these, sadly have never been up north or north east

Oh yeah i forgot to add, Chennai Pondicheri, i have done couple of times,

I have done Chennai - ooty once in a car (used the mettur route ) that was very good ,
Also done cochin - Yercaud several times..........

I'm more of a railway journey guy who enjoys trains moving slowly and getting late, which gives me time to enjoy :D

However i must mention East Coast Road Tamilnadu, and i traveled quite a lot between Chennai and Mahabalipuram during my first days of professional career in 2001. The road almost follows Bay of Bengal coastline and is amongst the most pretty roads dotted with lot of places you can stop by and some really good places to eat as well.

Also recently i traveled on Amhembad-Vadodra expressway. Nothing scenic on the road, but those who enjoy speed, this road is an absolute delight.

are those cars porsche ??
Nope, Maserati GT

Ferrari actually.

22712ee04266a29c0abdf1cb9c8051ce.jpg

@thesolar65 Kolkata to Digha I have done many times, I have photos & videos also. There are four major beaches there, Digha, Shankarpur, Tajpur & Mandarnani. Tajpur is the most recently developed and serene one, the last few miles to Tajpur at night through a completely dark, empty & no-mans land type of landscape on both sides of the road with only the sound of the sea was an awesome experiencee, there were large waterbodies on both sides of the road and nothing else was visible, that mixed with the sounds of wave in the sea ahead at one point made us thought that probably we have mistakenly drove into the sea!! The road is far less intimidating during the day though. :)

Oh yeah i forgot to add, Chennai Pondicheri, i have done couple of times,

I have done Chennai - ooty once in a car (used the mettur route ) that was very good ,
Also done cochin - Yercaud several times..........

In an Ambassador Car(AC), from Pondichery to Kanya Kumari (visit all the temples on the way), back to Chennai (visit all the places on the way) and back to Pondicherry in 7 days - beautiful experience!! Only south state remains to be visited is Kerala. May be during next Summer!!

I'm more of a railway journey guy who enjoys trains moving slowly and getting late, which gives me time to enjoy :D

However i must mention East Coast Road Tamilnadu, and i traveled quite a lot between Chennai and Mahabalipuram during my first days of professional career in 2001. The road almost follows Bay of Bengal coastline and is amongst the most pretty roads dotted with lot of places you can stop by and some really good places to eat as well.

Also recently i traveled on Amhembad-Vadodra expressway. Nothing scenic on the road, but those who enjoy speed, this road is an absolute delight.

Me too. For sight seeing sleeper class without rush in the Compartment and for sleeping - AC compartment..

In my last trip to India...I did Chennai to Pondicherri in bike it was good..and then I did Ooty to Bangalore in bike wow!!! that was really fantastic trip....You guys should try it....Roads are also not that bad expect in reserve forest area....

I went to vijayawada many times.... bt dont know about khandala!!!

Nallamalla forest is only for winter or rainy
you cant bare the heat of summer! its a tiger reserve but its unlikely to see one....

only the last one....nothing else!!!!
@thesolar65 also open one on train trips!!
I and my friends frequently make trips to Srisailam in weekends, Till date i haven't seen a tiger in my numerous trips there but have seen other wildlife there like leopard,bear,nilgai,sambar,peacock etc.

Road trip requires lot of stamina at least in India, where road trip means, bad road(some stretch), dust, noise and exhaustion (except for hilly and cold areas). So after retirement age may not permit...........:D
You have to mention ,health too as you face the risk of diarrhea,vomiting,sunstroke especially while you travel and eat in some roadside dhabas. "Delhi belly"

In my last trip to India...I did Chennai to Pondicherri in bike it was good..and then I did Ooty to Bangalore in bike wow!!! that was really fantastic trip....You guys should try it....Roads are also not that bad expect in reserve forest area....

That itself is an experience (reserve forest) there are 2 routes, one which goes thru goodallur, the shorter one deviating from muthumailai...... Have tried both routes...... Amazing drive.....

Well lets see ,
done most of these trips , mostly on my bullet in the late nineties and early 2000, the roads were not so good back then .
did the manali leh route thrice. the Bombay -goa and pune goa probably at least 50 times.traveled all over the Bangalore -ooty , Bangalore - coorg, Bangalore-kerala, Bangalore tamil nadu routes.
Traveled extensively throughout Maharashtra , now am exploring AP.
been all over UP , Rajasthan , Gujarat, Punjab , HP and Kashmir.
just last week i was in Kolkatta , i have never been to the east of India.
And yes i have in the past 20 Days traveled to all four metros:)

Back
Top Bottom