What's new

1971 War: When Indian missiles attacked Karachi's port

What I don't understand is, Indian Navy's Mumbai base is just nearby and it happens to be one of the largest in the region ever since Independence. Okha might be at best a refuelling base or rest station. While Karachi was your one and only Naval station and it was attacked and some of you folks get or try to get yourself sympathetic to the Okha attack.

If you had hit Mumbai base, HQ of our Western Command, then it's really a feat. Hear yourself.. just one B57. Even a squadron would have found it very tough to attack Mumbai base.
But a few men held Mumbai hostage for how many days?

Zarb
This will complete the story

Sir, i would like to respectfully disagree, and yes i am a layman when it comes military. But my understanding is in modern conflicts the one who commands the sky will eventually win on ground. Even in Kargil, although PAF were kept in dark PA was able to hold ground. If you are able to have air superiority over kashmir and able to cut land supply routes of kashmir from the rest of india, which i think wont be many. The IA should capitulate. I know its easier said than done, but IA and location of J&K will have its shortcomings.

As for going nuclear, Kashmir is a disputed place, if pak invades and captures kashmir territory India using nukes will not have any justification (even if they deploy in worst case scenario) the whole world will jump in and than you can negotiate.

US and west wont have embargoed Pakistan only as India was the aggressor at that time, even in 65 they did embargoed both. But the embargoes and sanctions is a understood thing in any Indo-Pak conflict. But both parties will be supplied through backdoor channels.

I see kashmir just as to maintain military status quo from pakistan perspective. Since pak would never be able to solve this issue military and politically.
Your point about "one who commands the sky will eventually win on ground" does not apply in our case. As I mentioned, while we may have the ability to have tactical air superiority for a period of time, it does not translate to complete mastery of air over India and Kashmir. That means that Indians can continue to bring in reinforcements (they have a 3:1 superiority in manpower) from theaters beyond where we may enjoy air superiority while constantly challenging even PAF's tactical superiority.

India already has 750,000 troops in Kashmir. How do you expect Pakistan to wrest control from these forces while they are embedded in populated areas of IoK? Should we bomb them along with the local populace to take IoK back?

Your very last sentence is the key point. In the long game, maintaining military status-quo is okay for a smaller military power. While things look daunting and challenging for Pakistan and the Kashmiris currently, they don't stay constant.

during first attack Indian ships were sighted by Hangor heading towards Karachi.. hangor could have easily hit them .. but since war wasn't started PN didnt attack (professionalism at its peak). However Hangor did break the silence risking herself and messaged NHQ about it.. IN was only able to hit a small destroyer, a minesweeper a cargo ship .. and on second attack an oil tank and fishing boats.. they never dared come in close vicinity and when Hangor hit Khukri (200 IN personnel died) ... whole IN hid in the land...
I see one thing. In comparison to Indian navy, Pakistani losses very huge. But Pakistan was fighting anyway. And we sank a single ship, and here runs the whole Indian navy for their lives. What a brave enemy we have 😁

Well if that's the case, kashmiris should suffer, why does pakistan take stand on kashmir.
The pragmatic side in me likes to believe that we still believe the territory still belongs to us, despite the betrayal of the Muftis and Abdullahs of Kashmir, we still made the effort to liberate it in 1948 and we shall continue to do so for the remainder of the territory, Kashmiri people's right not withstanding.

I see one thing. In comparison to Indian navy, Pakistani losses very huge. But Pakistan was fighting anyway. And we sank a single ship, and here runs the whole Indian navy for their lives. What a brave enemy we have 😁
Sunk a ship, critically damaged another, and obliterated their port.

Next time it would be much worse for the IN...

Sunk a ship, critically damaged another, and obliterated their port.

Next time it would be much worse for the IN...
I don't think so. Here is why:
"Al-Qaida" attacks Mehran base to destroy P3c orion planes. Koi sense Hai is bat ki?
India attacks Mehran base to destroy P3c orion planes. This makes perfect sense.
Taliban attack Minhas, destroyed one Saab 2000. Well again it doesn't make any sense. But India attacks and destroys Saab planes, then it makes sense.
In nutshell, India tried to destroy your "eyes" and Pakistan kept sitting and watching. Indian has increased her similar capacity 8 or 9 times more than Pakistan. And we are still watching.
The first step in this direction may start from neutralizing Mr Ajit, who actually was the mastermind behind these terror attacks. Then, we may carryon from there.

I don't think so. Here is why:
"Al-Qaida" attacks Mehran base to destroy P3c orion planes. Koi sense Hai is bat ki?
India attacks Mehran base to destroy P3c orion planes. This makes perfect sense.
Taliban attack Minhas, destroyed one Saab 2000. Well again it doesn't make any sense. But India attacks and destroys Saab planes, then it makes sense.
In nutshell, India tried to destroy your "eyes" and Pakistan kept sitting and watching. Indian has increased her similar capacity 8 or 9 times more than Pakistan. And we are still watching.
The first step in this direction may start from neutralizing Mr Ajit, who actually was the mastermind behind these terror attacks. Then, we may carryon from there.
Who says the military was sitting and watching. What the militaty procures, it does not disclose until it needs to be disclosed, same with its operations...

Should a conventional war break out it wont be like 71 at all...

All their major naval bases are within striking range...

Back
Top Bottom