What's new

13 out of world's top 20 polluted cities in India, only three in China

Maarkhoor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1355150_Wallpaper1.jpg

According-to-a-Lancet-study-in-2012-air-pollution-was-found-to-be-the-sixth-biggest-killer-with-an-annual-estimated-toll-of-66-million-in-India-Sunil-Ghosh-HT-Photo
India may be lagging behind China on several economic indicators but when it comes to environmental degradation, the country has definitely outsmarted its giant neighbour.

Of the world’s top 20 polluted cities, 13 are in India compared to just three in China. Air pollution slashes life expectancy by 3.2 years for the 660 million Indians who live in cities, including Delhi. In China, the corresponding dip is marginally lower at three years.

The Ganga and Yamuna are ranked among the world’s 10 most polluted rivers. China has just one. An evaluation in February ranked Vapi in Gujarat and Sukinda in Odisha among the 10 most environmentally-degraded zones in the world. China had no entries on the list.

The two nations have seen furious economic growth in the past decade fuelling a rapid rise in pollution. China leads the world in carbon emissions and India is in third position. But one important difference between the two emerging economies lies in China’s ability to manage the impact of breakneck economic growth on its environment much better than India. The effect of China’s success is most visible in its air and water, both of which have a direct bearing on public health.

Both countries were saddled with almost identical environmental concerns a decade ago, but China cleaned many of its polluted rivers and managed to check the spiralling urban air pollution through stringent rules.

The results are showing. “Beijing's air pollution has dipped 40% since 2000 as we have taken steps to phase out polluting vehicles and put checks on building heating systems,” said Beijing municipal officer Li Kunsheng at an event in Delhi earlier this year.

In contrast, Delhi’s air pollution has steadily climbed by 20% in the same period with successive governments reluctant to act. The story is the same in cities across the country. Coimbatore is the only exception as the air there was found to be fit for breathing.

The impact of rising toxins in the air is clearly visible on an average Indian's life, as proved by a Lancet study in 2012 that ranked air pollution as the sixth biggest killer with an annual estimated toll of 66 million.

A 2015 report by the Centre for Science and Environment, a Delhi-based NGO, says the decline in the country's overall environmental standards was because of river pollution, which is worse now than it was three decades ago, piling garbage in cities and increasingly toxic urban air.

"In India, environment degradation is a runaway problem impinging on public health an exacerbating poverty," says Sunita Narain, the NGO's director general. “We need to act and act fast ... otherwise the health cost would be enormous,” she added.

A three-year analysis of the water quality in 290 rivers by the Central Pollution Control Board said about 66% of the stretches monitored had high organic pollution. It means 8,400 km of these rivers are badly polluted and not fit for supporting aquatic life. "Increasing flow of untreated waste water from cities into these rivers is the reason for our rivers getting polluted," says Shashi Shekhar, CPCB chairman and special secretary in the environment ministry.

But not all news is bad with innovative green initiatives sprouting all over the country. The bicycling clubs in Bengaluru act as one of the biggest networks of bikers in the country, a group of people have generated organic fertilizer from waste in Kolkata and Bungroo and a programme of the Gujarat Ecological Commission has turned wasteland into a good agri-production zone.

And then, there are a new band of young environment activists such as Ritwick Dutta who took authorities to court for violating environmental laws and protect people's right to a clean environment. As a result, the National Green Tribunal has compensated locals for pollution and one such case is in Tamil Nadu.

Union environment minister Prakash Javadekar is also hopeful of people's participation pushing governments to improve the environment, saying a policy of "development without destruction" is in place.

In the coming years, his ministry plans to introduce a new environmental regime that will focus on "self-regulation" and strengthen the "polluter-pay principle" with higher penalties for violation of environmental laws.

india_vs_world.gif

13 out of world's top 20 polluted cities in India, only three in China | india | Hindustan Times

i dont belive chinas data ,but there are more that 13 polluted cities in India.

to the op how many cities are there in Pakistan,i mean just cities no adjectives added.

to the op how many cities are there in Pakistan,i mean just cities no adjectives added.
The source already mentioned Hindustan times not Pakistan time. Debate it on healthy way i am not those who posted for bashing only. Sure there are many cities in Pakistan also but if you compare with Indian cities Pakistani cities are quite less polluted and dirty.

There indeed are, a lot of them,, adding that adjective, dirty and polluted cities but if you can trust me on this the situation is many folds better then a lot of other countries. Specially in Punjab the situation is excellent. KPK have improved a lot, a huge lot in last few years. Sindh is also OK.

In short, the overall situation is much better. Off course there is always room for improvement. This is all about the actual situation on ground, off course it is not difficult to find pictures of trash and dirt in Lahore or even London or find another image of lush green grass patch in that same city. The thing i am mentioning are what actually is the situation on ground.

If you can't clean the human faeces on the roads,then you certainly can't handle the pollution caused by industry.Who the f**k will care about industrial pollution when they are surrounded by human faeces.

1355150_Wallpaper1.jpg

According-to-a-Lancet-study-in-2012-air-pollution-was-found-to-be-the-sixth-biggest-killer-with-an-annual-estimated-toll-of-66-million-in-India-Sunil-Ghosh-HT-Photo
India may be lagging behind China on several economic indicators but when it comes to environmental degradation, the country has definitely outsmarted its giant neighbour.

Of the world’s top 20 polluted cities, 13 are in India compared to just three in China. Air pollution slashes life expectancy by 3.2 years for the 660 million Indians who live in cities, including Delhi. In China, the corresponding dip is marginally lower at three years.

The Ganga and Yamuna are ranked among the world’s 10 most polluted rivers. China has just one. An evaluation in February ranked Vapi in Gujarat and Sukinda in Odisha among the 10 most environmentally-degraded zones in the world. China had no entries on the list.

The two nations have seen furious economic growth in the past decade fuelling a rapid rise in pollution. China leads the world in carbon emissions and India is in third position. But one important difference between the two emerging economies lies in China’s ability to manage the impact of breakneck economic growth on its environment much better than India. The effect of China’s success is most visible in its air and water, both of which have a direct bearing on public health.

Both countries were saddled with almost identical environmental concerns a decade ago, but China cleaned many of its polluted rivers and managed to check the spiralling urban air pollution through stringent rules.

The results are showing. “Beijing's air pollution has dipped 40% since 2000 as we have taken steps to phase out polluting vehicles and put checks on building heating systems,” said Beijing municipal officer Li Kunsheng at an event in Delhi earlier this year.

In contrast, Delhi’s air pollution has steadily climbed by 20% in the same period with successive governments reluctant to act. The story is the same in cities across the country. Coimbatore is the only exception as the air there was found to be fit for breathing.

The impact of rising toxins in the air is clearly visible on an average Indian's life, as proved by a Lancet study in 2012 that ranked air pollution as the sixth biggest killer with an annual estimated toll of 66 million.

A 2015 report by the Centre for Science and Environment, a Delhi-based NGO, says the decline in the country's overall environmental standards was because of river pollution, which is worse now than it was three decades ago, piling garbage in cities and increasingly toxic urban air.

"In India, environment degradation is a runaway problem impinging on public health an exacerbating poverty," says Sunita Narain, the NGO's director general. “We need to act and act fast ... otherwise the health cost would be enormous,” she added.

A three-year analysis of the water quality in 290 rivers by the Central Pollution Control Board said about 66% of the stretches monitored had high organic pollution. It means 8,400 km of these rivers are badly polluted and not fit for supporting aquatic life. "Increasing flow of untreated waste water from cities into these rivers is the reason for our rivers getting polluted," says Shashi Shekhar, CPCB chairman and special secretary in the environment ministry.

But not all news is bad with innovative green initiatives sprouting all over the country. The bicycling clubs in Bengaluru act as one of the biggest networks of bikers in the country, a group of people have generated organic fertilizer from waste in Kolkata and Bungroo and a programme of the Gujarat Ecological Commission has turned wasteland into a good agri-production zone.

And then, there are a new band of young environment activists such as Ritwick Dutta who took authorities to court for violating environmental laws and protect people's right to a clean environment. As a result, the National Green Tribunal has compensated locals for pollution and one such case is in Tamil Nadu.

Union environment minister Prakash Javadekar is also hopeful of people's participation pushing governments to improve the environment, saying a policy of "development without destruction" is in place.

In the coming years, his ministry plans to introduce a new environmental regime that will focus on "self-regulation" and strengthen the "polluter-pay principle" with higher penalties for violation of environmental laws.

india_vs_world.gif

13 out of world's top 20 polluted cities in India, only three in China | india | Hindustan Times

Pollution even before Industrialization?

Thank you for pointing out our short comings, we badly need social awareness to keep our cities clean. I hope in the coming time we will see a concentrated effort in this regard.

I think it have a lot do do with cultural aspects as well. I mean, the government or management is not the only one to be blamed. Also with so much population, it takes only a very small percentage to cause all that filth and dirt we see in the cities in India. It have a lot to do with the living style of the people of that area or the cultural values etc. For examples, i quote Karachi, no matter how much effort the administration put in, the people there eat Pan and they will spit it all on the roads. That is surely not a justification and neither it is like there is no way around it but this is how it is.

i dont belive chinas data

What China's data? Do you believe World Health Organisation (WHO)?

WHO | Ambient (outdoor) air pollution in cities database 2014

World Health Organization (WHO) which looked at the air pollution levels of 1,600 cities across 91 countries. Based on PM2.5 reading (considered the best indicator of assessing health impacts from air pollution and examines the concentration of fine particulate pollution of 2.5 micrometers or less in diameter), their results are as below:

Out of the 1,600 cities surveyed, top 20 cities with highest PM 2.5 are as below:

1. Delhi, India: 153
2. Patna, India: 149
3. Gwalior, India: 144
4. Raipur, India: 134
5. Karachi, Pakistan: 117
6. Peshwar, Pakistan: 111
7. Rawalpindi, Pakistan: 107
8. Khoramabad, Iran: 102
9. Ahmedabad, India: 100
10. Lucknow, India: 96
11. Firozabad, India: 96
12. Doha, Qatar: 93
13. Kanpur, India: 93
14. Amritsar, India: 92
15. Ludhiana, India: 91
16. Igdir, Turkey: 90
17. Narayonganj, Bangladesh: 89
18. Allahabad, India: 88
19. Agra, India: 88
20. Khanna, India: 88

***Note: No Chinese cities were found in the Top 20. The 5 highest from China were Lanzhou #36, Urumqi #61, Xi'an #70, Xining #72, Beijing #76.
Below is an article that analysed the situation using exactly the same database from WHO
Top 20 most polluted cities in the world - CNN.com

Last edited:
I think it have a lot do do with cultural aspects as well. I mean, the government or management is not the only one to be blamed. Also with so much population, it takes only a very small percentage to cause all that filth and dirt we see in the cities in India. It have a lot to do with the living style of the people of that area or the cultural values etc. For examples, i quote Karachi, no matter how much effort the administration put in, the people there eat Pan and they will spit it all on the roads. That is surely not a justification and neither it is like there is no way around it but this is how it is.
Yes i second that, I mean we do need to overhaul the whole cleaning department but still we need people to take up the responsibility or put in efforts to keep the cities clean. Entire blame can't be shifted on government departments it's our collective duty. Younger lot is more conscious about cleanliness and they do point it out to the elders not to litter but still a long long way to go before we start seeing the result.

If you can't clean the human faeces on the roads,then you certainly can't handle the pollution caused by industry.Who the f**k will care about industrial pollution when they are surrounded by human faeces.
We are working on it, 8.9 million toilets build in last year, a step in the right direction.
89 lakh toilets built in rural India in 1 year, govt says - The Times of India

This is to be expected of a developing poor nation that holds 1/6th of the population .

Atleast the government is taking steps for renewable energy .
In 20 years things will change .

All developed nations have under gone such a stage in their life .

Well when it comes to animals , we all know who the culprits are .

Yes i second that, I mean we do need to overhaul the whole cleaning department but still we need people to take up the responsibility or put in efforts to keep the cities clean. Entire blame can't be shifted on government departments it's our collective duty. Younger lot is more conscious about cleanliness and they do point it out to the elders not to litter but still a long long way to go before we start seeing the result.
Yes you are right about it. Education will play an important role as well as improvement in life style and culture etc. Lets see how much time it takes. I am glad that things are much better here in Pakistan. Specially when it comes to litter and other general cleanliness. Perhaps it also have to do a little bit with religions may be, don't know, but yes it is quite good here in this regard.

Cultural problem. Yes to an extent.

I really really want to know what has congress achieved in 60 years? I mean are they to be held accountable for any of our problems or am I being naive here?

Back
Top Bottom