What's new

110 killed in hajj stampede

A

A.Rahman

110 killed in hajj stampede
Jan. 12, 2006. 10:14 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MECCA, Saudi Arabia - Muslim pilgrims rushing to complete a symbolic stoning ritual at the hajj stampeded Thursday, tripping over luggage, killing 110 and injuring more than 1,000, medical officials said.
The stampede broke out as tens of thousands of pilgrims filed past al-Jamarat, a series of three pillars representing the devil that the faithful pelt with stones to purge themselves of sin. The ritual has seen deadly stampedes in the past, including one in 1990 that killed 1,426 people and another in February 2004 that killed 244.

Maj.-Gen. Mansour al-Turki, a ministry spokesman, said the stampede happened as pilgrims were rushing to complete the last of three days of the stoning ritual before sunset. Some pieces of luggage spilled from moving buses in front of one of the entrances to al-Jamarat, causing pilgrims to trip and pile up, al-Turki said.

Al-Turki said there were deaths but could not immediately give an exact number.

The pillars are located on a large pedestrian bridge, the width of an eight-lane highway over the desert plain of Mina outside the holy city of Mecca. A number of ramps lead up the bridge to give pilgrims access to the site, and the stampede occurred at the base of one of the ramps.

The stampede took place despite Saudi efforts to improve traffic for the massive crowds of pilgrims at the site, where all 2.5 million pilgrims participating in the annual hajj must pass, move from pillar to pillar to throw their stones, then exit. Saudi authorities recently widened the bridge and built extra ramps and increased the time pilgrims can carry out the rite — traditionally done between sunrise and sunset.

forget about the terrorist attacks, stampede is enough.
whats wrong with them?.

I know how it happens. When i did my Umra during Ramzan days in Mecca. Its beautiful indeed, you see many types of muslims there. African, Middle Eastern, Pakistanis, Indians, Arabs, American Mulims and so on. The way how the imam does quirat is beautiful.

This was just during the Umra in Ramadan time, during the Hajj i heard the public is 2 times more than that.

The bad thing is some people push and do it in a hurry, those who push and hurry are often strong, that they ignore the weak people even disabled people. I been there, i know how it is like. People should be teached these things during the flight or something, that way it can avoid these kind of accidents, as they occur most of the time.

Originally posted by A.Rahman Posted Yesterday@ 08:49 PM
forget about the terrorist attacks, stampede is enough.
whats wrong with them?

The place where there are people are in millions then there is a probability for these kind of mishaps. But the Saudi Govt must take it seriously and they must make it easy for the Hujjaj to perform the Hajj.

Originally posted by Kashif@Jan 13 2006, 12:21 AM
The place where there are people are in millions then there is a probability for these kind of mishaps.But the Saudi Govt must take it seriously and they must make it easy for the Hujjaj to perform the Hajj.
[post=5334]Quoted post[/post]​

but it happens every year.

By the grace of almighty my relatives in Haj are safe.

They will be completing the Haj tour as schedule and come back as their timetable.

I feel sorry for those who are dead.

Stampade's are often occur in religious festivities but with Saudi's it happenes every year.

Saudi Gov needs to improve the infrastructure.

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 15 2006, 11:57 AM
By the grace of almighty my relatives in Haj are safe.

They will be completing the Haj tour as schedule and come back as their timetable.

I feel sorry for those who are dead.

Stampade's are often occur in religious festivities but with Saudi's it happenes every year.

Saudi Gov needs to improve the infrastructure.

Miro
[post=5375]Quoted post[/post]​

ur muslim?

Its not about infrastructure actually, its actually how carelessly these people perform Hajj. They can perform in a good manner, but as there is a big population of muslims performing Hajj at the same time, people try to do it in a hurry, and these things eventually lead to injury.

Saudis have really improved the infrastructure in the past year, they have spent big bucks on it. They have also increased the time to perform Hajj, so i see a challenge for them to continuely improving the infrastructure.

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Jan 15 2006, 11:21 PM
ur muslim?
[post=5376]Quoted post[/post]​

My mother is muslim and the relatives I am talking about are from my maternal side.

My mother herself is not allowed to perform Hajj.

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Jan 16 2006, 08:01 AM
My mother is muslim and the relatives I am talking about are from my maternal side.

My mother herself is not allowed to perform Hajj.

Miro
[post=5408]Quoted post[/post]​

so ur dad is Hindu?

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Jan 16 2006, 10:21 PM
so ur dad is Hindu?
[post=5409]Quoted post[/post]​

My dad was Hindu.

He was in Army and died in 1988/89.

Miro

Originally posted by WebMaster@Jan 16 2006, 08:24 AM
Its not about infrastructure actually, its actually how carelessly these people perform Hajj. They can perform in a good manner, but as there is a big population of muslims performing Hajj at the same time, people try to do it in a hurry, and these things eventually lead to injury.

Saudis have really improved the infrastructure in the past year, they have spent big bucks on it. They have also increased the time to perform Hajj, so i see a challenge for them to continuely improving the infrastructure.
[post=5396]Quoted post[/post]​

One can't blame everything on the devotees/pilgrims.

Go the Haj House(s) in India.

The Haj House is a Muslim organisation which allows permission to the Indian Muslims to perform Haj.

The basterds dosent do anything except eating bribes under the name of Jakat.

They should brief the pilgrims before they leave the country.

Why every time in a plane we are briefed about safety?????

Also I can understand your Saudi defending, but this has not happened first time.

It happenes almost every year with low/high numbers.

If the authorities decide there will be no disaster.

Take on example.

Last year in my state there was a disaster in annual Mandhardevi Yatra (Hindu God).

Approx 300 pilgrims died in stampade.

This year the Police and Government has kicked assess of every anti-social elements and there is a strict disipline.

Places like Makkah,Kashi and major temples/mosques the anti social elements and other stuff is more responsible for this incedences.

Government and Police sometimes ignore everything as they get bribes or some favors.

Miro

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom