What's new

110 billion increase in Defence budget

When you look at the rate rupee has devalued this increase hardly makes any difference

But then the question arises, isn't this devaluation of currency applicable to other budget heads also? ..ie defence budget vis-a-vis dollar has decreased due devaluation but similarly health budget aslo decreased.

there is a pension cut from ur salary while you work. so the magnitude of pension figure shouldnt really matter.

what should matter is army getting a budget rise while public sector development fund is reduced to half.

there is a pension cut from ur salary while you work. so the magnitude of pension figure shouldnt really matter.

what should matter is army getting a budget rise while public sector development fund is reduced to half.

I think PSDP budget has not been reduced to half though some reduction at federal level has been done, rather a good share of the PSDP has now been shifted to the provinces who now show it in their budgets, so that is why we see such a huge change. I guess the 18th amendment had to do something with it and the NFC award too, where PSDP fund used to be fully under federal level, but since last year, it has not been shifted to provinces with federation keeping some part of it for its use.

here, just found the source:

" Total amount of Rs. 663 billion has been allocated in PSDP-2010-11 for various ongoing and new schemes.

Out of total PSDP, the federal share is Rs. 280 billion, provincial share Rs.373 billion where as Rs.10 billion would be spent for Reconstruction and Rehabilitation of Earthquake-hit areas. "

Rs663bn allocated in PSDP-2010-11 - GEO.tv

" However, senior officials in the finance ministry expressed ignorance about the increase and one of them said it must have been a typographical error.

But sources told Dawn that the increase of Rs109.8 billion had been made for a major military operation in the tribal areas. "

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Uplift spending cut, defence budget hiked

I sense either some big purchase is coming or something is in the pipeline, as such a huge raise is not justifiable after the recent raise in the budget, plus there is no major operations going on, thus military activity is on the low, even if they are planning for some big operation (which i highly doubt), such a big amount is confusing as such huge amount is not spent on such operations that also in a short span of time.

My guess is, this is some one time thingy, major reason being something is being planned for purchase.

No other thing justifies it. Or as said some typo error and its still not clear or explained as for what the 110B raise it, its more then 1B $$ raise, which is huge.

Just found something else interesting, the figure in this report matches this new raise thing, most probably the document was showing the already done 110B raise in the defence budget as something new, thus confusion started.

" The proposal also would increase Pakistan’s defence budget 17% for 2010-11 from Rs 378 billion to Rs 442 billion. The government is allocating Rs 110 billion for security-related operations and Rs 25 billion for internally displaced persons. "

Pakistani defence budget to increase in 2010-11

Does Pakistan allocates money for defense research( i mean separately), if not separately then maybe it would be for some indigenous programmes.

Another reason, India's defence budget affecting Pakistan's.

Does Pakistan allocates money for defense research( i mean separately), if not separately then maybe it would be for some indigenous programmes.

Another reason, India's defence budget affecting Pakistan's.

such a huge raise, if it is in reality can not be for indigenous products.

No it isn't, as said again and again, we don't want to and can't match India $ for $, bullet for bullet and weapon for weapon. India needs to overhaul its whole military, so it needs big money, while we don't need to overhaul our full army, we induct whatever which is necessary for our operational requirements.

Just found something else interesting, the figure in this report matches this new raise thing, most probably the document was showing the already done 110B raise in the defence budget as something new, thus confusion started.

" The proposal also would increase Pakistan’s defence budget 17% for 2010-11 from Rs 378 billion to Rs 442 billion. The government is allocating Rs 110 billion for security-related operations and Rs 25 billion for internally displaced persons. "

Pakistani defence budget to increase in 2010-11
So we can expect a new big offensive in the remaining areas of FATA next year....maybe in spring....

So we can expect a new big offensive in the remaining areas of FATA next year....maybe in spring....

I highly doubt it, plus such a big amount has no justification for the operation.

I guess it to be a typo error, where the document might be describing the earlier raise in the defence during the last budget, but reporters may have thought it to be some new raise.

And as told many times, the expenses incurred in operations are charged to some other head which are reimbursed through CSF.

at the expense of cutting down HEC budget!

Did it said somewhere that it was done by cutting HEC budget ??

Do you know HEC is in trouble more due to the vetting process of the degrees of the members of our legislative assemblies ??

Or the PPP govt may have reduced the budget to divert their funds for the BISP, which has something like 40B+ funds just in a years time.

Before making any flase claim, do some research and come out with facts supporting it.

PPP govt from day one started to slash the HEC budget.

We should utilize retired army jawans and officiers who are retired well before the civil age of retirement.

Back
Top Bottom