What's new

1000 years of Ascending the Throne- Remembering the King

I can only laugh by seeing illogical comments by some Indians here. after all not amazed by any of it :D :D for those illogical

While considerable evidence points to western India as the home of the first immigrants, it seems probable that a subsequent wave arrived from the vicinity of Bengal and Orissa in the northeast. One band of settlers landed in Sri Lanka at the east-coast port of Gokanna, a natural port of disembarkation for vessels arriving from the Bay of Bengal. The traditional accounts of the arrival of Panduvasudeva may portray a second wave of migration following the first mentioned in the Vijaya legend. Linguistic affinities between the early Sinhalese- and Prakrit-speaking peoples of eastern India strengthen the hypothesis of a migration from this area.
The tradition speaks primarily of settlement by conquest, and tribes of conquerors led by a warrior nobility would certainly have propelled the Indo-Aryan migration southward. Also important, however, was the pursuit of trade (as opposed to military conquest). Indo-Aryan merchants probably reached Sri Lanka while sailing down the Indian coast, and some of these merchants, motivated by a lucrative trade in Sri Lanka’s natural products, may have founded settlements.
The view that Indo-Aryan migrants laid the foundations of Sinhalese civilization increasingly has come into question since the late 20th century. Archaeological evidence has indicated that settled agriculture, tank irrigation, use of iron, and pottery were features present before the Indo-Aryan migrations. During the early phases of these migrations, a synthesis seems to have taken place between Indo-Aryan, pre-Indo-Aryan, and possibly Dravidian elements to create the early Sinhalese culture of the Anuradhapura period, which spanned the 3rd century bce to the 10th century ce. The chronicled account of Vijaya’s confrontation with the yakshas and the search for consorts in the Pandu kingdom of Madurai (if this may be presumed to be the Pandya Tamil kingdom of southern India) point to such integration.
In any case, Indo-Aryan settlements grew in different parts of the island from about the 5th century bce. The settlers came in numerous clans or tribes; the most powerful were the Sinhalese, who eventually gave their name to the descendants of the various groups. The earliest settlers were those on the west-central coast, who pushed inland along the Malwatu River and founded a number of riverbank villages. Their seat of government was Upatissagama.
Tradition attributes the founding of the kingdom of Anuradhapura to Anuradhapura and the nearby settlements flourished. Kings built up the city and developed it for urban life as they extended royal control over villages and outlying settlements. With the establishment of strong government, the population grew and the kingdom expanded into the north-central region

There is not much difference among Indians . Indians do understand united we stand divided we fall . I dont think that the people of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal,Orissa, Telangana, Jharkhand, Chattishgarh and Tamil Nadu etc are different.

12YT_TNJ24BIG_TEMP_2240457g.jpg

This year marks 1,000 years since Rajendra Chola’s ascension to the throne. Under him, the kingdom rose in strength and power. His military prowess is remembered even today.

For the palaces of Thanjavur, 1014 A.D. was a remarkable year. One of the greatest emperors of their time, the King of the Chola dynasty, Raja Raja Chola I, had passed away. It was time for his son, Rajendra Chola I, to take over the vast empire. Everyone was apprehensive. Even though Rajendra and Raja Raja had ruled as regents since 1012 A.D., the kingdom mourned the passing of its king and awaited its new one anxiously. So much had been written and sung in his father’s praise the Brihadeeswara Temple, which stood towering over the city was a constant reminder of his great deeds. What would Rajendra do as King?

Rajendra Chola I came from a long line of great kings. Here are some other kings of the medieval Chola kingdom, in chronological order

Vijayalaya Chola

Parantaka Chola I

Gandaraditya Chola

Sundara Chola

Raja Raja Chola I

Rajendra Chola I

Rajadiraja Chola I

Rajendra Chola II

Virarajendra Chola

Growing up in the shadow of his great father, Rajendra had often assisted him on many campaigns. As a young soldier of the Chola army, Rajendra led conquests against the Chalukyas and Rashtrakutas. He established himself as an able leader. The Chola kings had the habit of appointing their successors while they were alive, probably to avoid dispute among the heirs later. And so, Rajendra was appointed as yuvaraja or regent and ruled along with his father in his last years.

Rajendra’s reign

Contrary to everyone’s expectations, Rajendra rose up to his father’s name and went even beyond his legacy. While Raja Raja Chola was the first king to have a Navy, Rajendra organised the fleet and used it to extend the Chola rule far and wide. He also took charge of his army and finished the battles that his father fought for long — with Sri Lanka, the Pandya kings and in the Kalinga territories. He brought them all under his reign. However, the best was yet to come.

Rajendra’s army marched north, and along the Ganges, bringing the water of the sacred river back to the kingdom of the South. From then on, he was called Gangaikondan (he who brought the Ganges). His navy was unmatched and would sail to kingdoms that are now Malaysia, Indonesia and Cambodia. In fact, it was his successor, Surya Varma II, who built the Angkor Wat, the largest Hindu temple in the world, in Cambodia.

To commemorate his success over the Pala dynasty, Rajendra built a new capital for his vast kingdom which extended from Sri Lanka in the south up to the Tungabhadra. Gangaikondacholapuram rose, about 80 km from the old Chola capital — Thanjavur. It was to be the new capital from 1025 A.D. for about 250 years. Here, Rajendra built a temple that looked much like his father’s historic feat in the old city and called it Gangaikonda Choleeswaram (it is now also referred to as the Brihadeeswara temple, a smaller version of the original at Thanjavur). While it is no match for the sheer size of its predecessor, its stone and sculpture work, done in exquisite detail by the master craftsmen of his time, more than makes up for its size. He is also credited with creating a vast lake which is 16 miles long and three miles wide. This water body is still one of India’s largest man-made lakes.

Under his reign, the Cholas became an indomitable dynasty in Asia, and rose in strength. Rajendra had a strong army and his navy had no match. Even today, the Indian Government calls its Naval Training Academy as T.S. Rajendra, after his expert command over the seas.

This year, 2014, marks 1,000 years since the ascension of one of the greatest rulers of India. In July, there were grand celebrations in Gangaikonda Cholapuram to remember the man who moved across land and sea, and surpassed his father to attain everlasting glory.

Remembering a king - The Hindu

what are the sources on chola history? any book to recommend?

12YT_TNJ24BIG_TEMP_2240457g.jpg

This year marks 1,000 years since Rajendra Chola’s ascension to the throne. Under him, the kingdom rose in strength and power. His military prowess is remembered even today.

For the palaces of Thanjavur, 1014 A.D. was a remarkable year. One of the greatest emperors of their time, the King of the Chola dynasty, Raja Raja Chola I, had passed away. It was time for his son, Rajendra Chola I, to take over the vast empire. Everyone was apprehensive. Even though Rajendra and Raja Raja had ruled as regents since 1012 A.D., the kingdom mourned the passing of its king and awaited its new one anxiously. So much had been written and sung in his father’s praise the Brihadeeswara Temple, which stood towering over the city was a constant reminder of his great deeds. What would Rajendra do as King?

Rajendra Chola I came from a long line of great kings. Here are some other kings of the medieval Chola kingdom, in chronological order

Vijayalaya Chola

Parantaka Chola I

Gandaraditya Chola

Sundara Chola

Raja Raja Chola I

Rajendra Chola I

Rajadiraja Chola I

Rajendra Chola II

Virarajendra Chola

Growing up in the shadow of his great father, Rajendra had often assisted him on many campaigns. As a young soldier of the Chola army, Rajendra led conquests against the Chalukyas and Rashtrakutas. He established himself as an able leader. The Chola kings had the habit of appointing their successors while they were alive, probably to avoid dispute among the heirs later. And so, Rajendra was appointed as yuvaraja or regent and ruled along with his father in his last years.

Rajendra’s reign

Contrary to everyone’s expectations, Rajendra rose up to his father’s name and went even beyond his legacy. While Raja Raja Chola was the first king to have a Navy, Rajendra organised the fleet and used it to extend the Chola rule far and wide. He also took charge of his army and finished the battles that his father fought for long — with Sri Lanka, the Pandya kings and in the Kalinga territories. He brought them all under his reign. However, the best was yet to come.

Rajendra’s army marched north, and along the Ganges, bringing the water of the sacred river back to the kingdom of the South. From then on, he was called Gangaikondan (he who brought the Ganges). His navy was unmatched and would sail to kingdoms that are now Malaysia, Indonesia and Cambodia. In fact, it was his successor, Surya Varma II, who built the Angkor Wat, the largest Hindu temple in the world, in Cambodia.

To commemorate his success over the Pala dynasty, Rajendra built a new capital for his vast kingdom which extended from Sri Lanka in the south up to the Tungabhadra. Gangaikondacholapuram rose, about 80 km from the old Chola capital — Thanjavur. It was to be the new capital from 1025 A.D. for about 250 years. Here, Rajendra built a temple that looked much like his father’s historic feat in the old city and called it Gangaikonda Choleeswaram (it is now also referred to as the Brihadeeswara temple, a smaller version of the original at Thanjavur). While it is no match for the sheer size of its predecessor, its stone and sculpture work, done in exquisite detail by the master craftsmen of his time, more than makes up for its size. He is also credited with creating a vast lake which is 16 miles long and three miles wide. This water body is still one of India’s largest man-made lakes.

Under his reign, the Cholas became an indomitable dynasty in Asia, and rose in strength. Rajendra had a strong army and his navy had no match. Even today, the Indian Government calls its Naval Training Academy as T.S. Rajendra, after his expert command over the seas.

This year, 2014, marks 1,000 years since the ascension of one of the greatest rulers of India. In July, there were grand celebrations in Gangaikonda Cholapuram to remember the man who moved across land and sea, and surpassed his father to attain everlasting glory.

Remembering a king - The Hindu

My forefathers hail from the region of Saurashtra but had to move south due to the strife and destruction during to Islamic incursions in the Northwest India and had settled in the city of Kumbhakonam (Tamilnadu) in the 13th century. There they have lived for over 300 years before moving northward into Andhra Pradesh Telangaana, Chhattisgarh and Odisha.

I personally would like to Thank the great Kings of Tamilnadu who had extended the hospitality to my forefathers when it mattered the most.

what are the sources on chola history? any book to recommend?

I am sorry. My knowledge of Cholas is only textbook and internet sources. I would love to read books on them. But I do not know any good books as of now. When I know I shall tag u.

Modi is the current King, no no, the emperor of Hindu empire!

I am sorry. My knowledge of Cholas is only textbook and internet sources. I would love to read books on them. But I do not know any good books as of now. When I know I shall tag u.

Funny thing for a Tamil to say. Kept ignorant about your own history and greatness. Stripped of anything that an make you proud of your Heritage and past.

Who do you have to thank for that ? CONgress or your "Dravidian" movement ? :azn:

Funny thing for a Tamil to say. Kept ignorant about your own history and greatness. Stripped of anything that an make you proud of your Heritage and past.

Who do you have to thank for that ? CONgress or your "Dravidian" movement ? :azn:

How many members here have read an exclusive book on Ashoka or Akbar or Shivaji or Krishnadevaraya?
Maybe one or two or three. I belong to the majority. I know Rajaraja's history, the empire's whereabouts from sources available. But do not know an good author on him.
So STFU

How many members here have read an exclusive book on Ashoka or Akbar or Shivaji or Krishnadevaraya?
Maybe one or two or three. I belong to the majority. I know Rajaraja's history, the empire's whereabouts from sources available. But do not know an good author on him.
So STFU

Ashoka, Akbar and Sivaji were taught in School Textbooks. Akbar in great detail. Ashoka and Shivaji in popular social and cultural discourses.

So yes, people are able to talk about all of them in some detail without having to beg for resources to understand their own past.

The very fact that you remain ignorant about Chola history and got educated in a PAKISTANI forum speaks VOLUMES. Funny thing considering your avatar and name in pdf.

You need to thank someone for this ignorance. Are you going to thank me ? If not , then who ?

Ashoka, Akbar and Sivaji were taught in School Textbooks. Akbar in great detail. Ashoka and Shivaji in popular social and cultural discourses.

So yes, people are able to talk about all of them in some detail without having to beg for resources to understand their own past.

The very fact that you remain ignorant about Chola history and got educated in a PAKISTANI forum speaks VOLUMES. Funny thing considering your avatar and name in pdf.

You need to thank someone for this ignorance. Are you going to thank me ? If not , then who ?

And who told we werent taught about Cholas or the Pandyas or the Cheras or Pallavas ? We were taught from 6th to 10th grade history syllabus. And unlike the CBSE drafted leftist history readed by the rest of the country, Tamil Nadu has its own syllabus. We know more than ourselves in history and very well about others. Infact we have read on every major Indian empires.

So do not change topic on ur own selfish replies. He asked for author. I dont have.

So again STFU.

And who told we werent taught about Cholas or the Pandyas or the Cheras or Pallavas ? We were taught from 6th to 10th grade history syllabus. And unlike the CBSE drafted leftist history readed by the rest of the country, Tamil Nadu has its own syllabus. We know more than ourselves in history and very well about others. Infact we have read on every major Indian empires.

So do not change topic on ur own selfish replies. He asked for author. I dont have.

So again STFU.

I cannot STFU for your convenience. I can do so only for mine.

If you already know everything there is to know about the chola then maybe you can educate him. That should end this matter once and for all.

True, I just realized several arent by city, etc ie. Rajput class, Vikrant Class Aircraft Carriers, class, etc.

Just that the they all have the same first letter for the most part.

INS Rajput (D51)
INS Rana (D52)
INS Ranjit (D53)
INS Ranvir (D54)
INS Ranvijay (D55)

INS Talwar (F40)
INS Trishul (F43)
INS Tabar (F44)
INS Teg (F45)
INS Tarkash (F50)
INS Trikand (F51)

INS Shivalik (F47)
INS Satpura (F48)
INS Sahyadri (F49)
Ships are named on desert people who had not even seen a ship in their life time, and never named one ship on great naval people of south India, let it be on the prinsess of the seas abakka
Who burnt down 7 Portuguese war ships with her guerrilla tactics in 17 century, or the great navies of the cholas, and there are many great naval generals in native Indian navies.

NoOTE="Hindustani78, post: 6540088, member: 156041"]There are full boats on names in ICGS.

ICGS Sarojini Naidu, ICGS Durgabai Deshmukh, ICGS Kasturba Gandhi, CGS Aruna Asaf Ali, CGS Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, CGS Meera Behn, CGS Savitribai Phule[/QUOTE]
Not fit for naming war ships these names are suitable for government schemes for women's welfare, there were many women naval commanders like abbakka of karkala Karnataka, rani kethki of Assam, and many warrier princesses.

Ships are named on desert people who had not even seen a ship in their life time, and never named one ship on great naval people of south India, let it be on the prinsess of the seas abakka
Who burnt down 7 Portuguese war ships with her guerrilla tactics in 17 century, or the great navies of the cholas, and there are many great naval generals in native Indian navies.

NoOTE="Hindustani78, post: 6540088, member: 156041"]There are full boats on names in ICGS.

ICGS Sarojini Naidu, ICGS Durgabai Deshmukh, ICGS Kasturba Gandhi, CGS Aruna Asaf Ali, CGS Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, CGS Meera Behn, CGS Savitribai Phule
Not fit for naming war ships these names are suitable for government schemes for women's welfare, there were many women naval commanders like abbakka of karkala Karnataka, rani kethki of Assam, and many warrier princesses.[/QUOTE]

Coast Guard ships can be named after eminent female personalities. After ICG ships arent meant to evoke fear and valour on enemies. But naval ships must do. I am not against naming after cities. But the names do not evoke fear.
There is a difference between INS Arihant and INS Chennai. Arihant , the name comes on top.

Back
Top Bottom