What's new

100 houses collapse; 11 dead, over 50 missing as rain batters Uttarakhand

soumya1989

Reaction score
uttarkashi-rain-landslide-295.jpg

Dehradun: Uttarakhand has been battered by the rain fury. The torrential rain has caused landslips in the higher reaches and swept away several roads and bridges in Uttarkashi and Chamoli districts. It has also led to suspension of the Char Dham Yatra.

The rain has caused havoc in Kedarnath Valley, one of the four Hindu pilgrim spots (Char Dham) in Uttarakhand, where more than 100 houses have reportedly collapsed due to landslide. Reports say 11 people have been killed and more than 50 others are missing. Reports also say that nearly 30,000 pilgrims are stranded in the valley because of landslides.

10 choppers have been ordered to assist in evacuating those stranded, however, unfavourable weather conditions have made it impossible for the choppers to land.

Flash floods in the Assiganga in Uttarkashi swept away vehicles and heavy machineries yesterday evening with a high alert being sounded for local residents and labourers to move to higher ground. The state government has sounded a warning of 48 hours to all those on the Char Dham Yatra across the hill-districts.

Both Mandakini and Alaknanda, major tributaries of the Ganga, are flowing over the danger mark and the bridge connecting Rudraprayag and Gaurikund has been damaged leading to its closure, disaster management officer Meera Kenthura said.

State Disaster Management and Rehabilitation Minister Yashpal Arya said the administration is on alert to deal with any emergency.

All government schools in capital Dehradun have been closed as precautionary measure.

The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is busy repairing the roads damaged by rains, he said, adding that the state government has also sought the assistance of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) to clear the roads blocked due to landslides.

100 houses collapse; 11 dead, over 50 missing as rain batters Uttarakhand | NDTV.com

RIP to dead.

1500 tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh after heavy rain"]1500 tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh after heavy rain

tourist_stranded_uttarakhand_295.jpg

Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and around 1,500 tourists were stuck in the Sangla Valley after the area was cut off due to landslides.

Incessant rainfall in the region has triggered massive landslides that blocked the road leading to the valley in Kinnaur district.

Mr Singh has been stranded in Sangla since yesterday evening. A helicopter sent to fetch him, had to return due to unfavourable weather conditions, Himachal Pradesh Chief Secretary Sudprita Roy said.

"Work is on to reopen road link to the Sangla Valley and other major roads. Tourists are also stranded across the district, mainly in Sangla area," Deputy Commissioner JM Pathania told IANS.

He said high alert has been declared as more than 60 percent of the district was badly hit by heavy rain. Some areas in Pooh experienced snow.

The chief minister, who was on election tour for the Mandi parliamentary by-poll slated for June 23, has been stationed at Sangla village, some 275 km from state capital Shimla.

The Hindustan-Tibet road leading to the China border along Kinnaur is blocked at several locations, said officials.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/1500-tourists-stranded-in-himachal-pradesh-after-heavy-rain-380505?pfrom=home-otherstories

Heartiest condolences to those who lost their life's and for those who are injured. I wish and pray a speedy recovery. :cry:

Blog: 'My family is stuck in Uttarakhand

New Delhi: 27-year-old Vamshi Varangani stays in Hyderabad. His family is stranded in Uttarakhand. He shares how his family spent the last two days:

15 members of my family, including my parents, are stuck in Uttarakhand because of heavy rain and landslides. They left Hyderabad on the 8th of this month to go to Gangotri and were scheduled to be back on the 22nd. But they got stuck while coming back from Gangotri to Uttarkashi; they are 18 km away from Uttarkashi.

They are stuck since Saturday evening. They earlier took shelter in a hotel, but that too got washed out. Then they moved into a small house. But just now, I came to know that a gentleman, a retired army officer named Rana Pratap Singh, has given them shelter and food.

I am in Hyderabad and trying to get their contact number. I am looking for help, but I must tell you that there has been very little help from administration. I mean, they should have at least provided them some food.

Right now, I am not planning to go there but I am in constant touch with the authorities and hope for my folks' safe return.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this blog are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this blog. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing on the blog do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/blog-my-family-is-stuck-in-uttarakhand-380581

Devastatingly heavy rain with cloud burst is responsible but administrative machinery is also not geared up to meet the monsoon furry. How sad?:ashamed:

Devastatingly heavy rain with cloud burst is responsible but administrative machinery is also not geared up to meet the monsoon furry. How sad?:ashamed:

No one can do anything about this. You can see how devastating it is. Administration is not capable of handling it.

No one can do anything about this. You can see how devastating it is. Administration is not capable of handling it.

I know we cannot fight with Nature and how devastating it is...Every year in monsoon this is happening in Uttarakha. Therefore, I expect our Disaster Management Team and Uttarakha's Govt. to be ready to deal with such situations, so that they can keep the human life loss to minimum....Further, rescue operations can be done aptly...:undecided:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom