What's new

100% FDI in defence to create 2 million jobs: An Assessment

Tshering22

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
How 100% FDI in defence will create 2 million jobs | Niti Central

While English-speaking mainstream news channels are worrying themselves sick over whether the removal of no-frisking privileges for Vadra means vendetta or not, some details on the “100 per cent FDI in defence” are coming to light. The draft that proposes 100 per cent FDI in defence was created by Nirmala Seetharaman within two days of taking charge of the new Commerce and Industry Ministry. The Commerce and Industry Ministry has circulated a Cabinet note in order to seek comments from other Government agencies.

Naturally, there are different reactions from different quarters according to affiliations, opinions and ideologies. For instance, the Centre of Indian Trade Unions has issued a statement that allowing 100 per cent FDI in the defence sector will be highly detrimental to the indigenous production. The union also believes that it may also encourage other public sector units push for privatisation. This seems like a self-serving posture.

Critics also say that this will make India more dependent on foreign countries for its defence and research needs. What happens, they speculate, if there are embargoes and sanctions due to whatever reason? All the indigenous production and research facilities will be shut down immediately. They also raise the bogey of these foreign companies getting hold of sensitive information and then passing that information onto other competing or enemy countries?

While there might be some iota of validity if these questions, the benefits of opening up foreign direct investment in defence outweigh apprehensions by a long margin. It will not just upgrade India’s military prowess in little time and with less money, it will also inject a new lease of life in the moribund manufacturing sector where the annual output has fallen to a miniscule 0.2 per cent in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. To make matters worse, India’s defence budget is growing at an average rate of 13.4 per cent due to inflation and related factors.

Government mulls over 100 per cent FDI in Defence

Besides, it’s not as if every investor in defence sector will get a free hand and they will run amok once they open their production and research units in India. The FDI will be categorised under various caps such as those who do not transfer technology will be allowed 49 per cent, those who also transfer technology will be able to invest to the tune of 74 per cent and those who manufacture state-of-the-art technology within India will be able to invest 100 per cent. This is quite fair. Companies and research organisations that have invested billions of dollars in research and development won’t just transfer the technology unless they have very good profit earning prospects.

Why not rely on indigenous production units? Although this is a good argument, their performance hasn’t been up to the mark due to inter-Ministerial lobbying and rivalry, bureaucratic hurdles, profiteering and red tape. After so many years India still imports $8 billion worth of defence equipment annually. And how much does India export? $183 million. Even when our defence equipment is produced within India, 70 per cent of the technology and parts used are imported so it hardly makes a difference. What’s the use of simply trying to prove a point when we can access the state-of-the-art defence and surveillance technology that has already been developed and tested in multiple countries?

What about the question of the security of the country being compromised? Well, if we’re already importing most of our equipment and even when we produce our weapons indigenously, 70 per cent of the technology is imported, how can we be sure of how secure these technology transfers are? On the other hand, when the production units are entirely setup within the country, the appropriate agencies will be able to monitor their production, and consequently, ensure more security. Regarding the prospect of countries like America playing spoilsports by imposing embargoes and other restrictive regimes, there is a greater vulnerability if we simply import; when we allow development and production within India, even after embargoes, the technology that is already with us, will remain with us and we can carry on our production irrespective of sanctions.

Once the units are set up in India initially the primary focus will be designing, developing and manufacturing equipment related to counterinsurgency, counterterrorism, surveillance, communication, night vision equipment and rescue operations, to name just a few. India will also be able to export helicopters, sensors, weapon platforms and applications and logistics vehicles to countries like Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia and other African and Asian countries.

And yes, 2 million new jobs will be created.

2 million? I think over estimated a tad bit too much

@Tshering22,

One valid criticism that was raised was that Indian made arms may land into the hands of terrorists and insurgent groups. A lot many foreign defense manufacturers deal with such groups and regimes.

There is a very good chance of such India made arms manufactured by these defense firms to make their way into conflict areas and terrorist regions and will be counter productive to us.

@Tshering22,

One valid criticism that was raised was that Indian made arms may land into the hands of terrorists and insurgent groups. A lot many foreign defense manufacturers deal with such groups and regimes.

There is a very good chance of such India made arms manufactured by these defense firms to make their way into conflict areas and terrorist regions and will be counter productive to us.

huh? how anymore or any less than what always happens.i.e. we see russian ak's in hands of terrorists. same terrorists that attack russia too. how will this instance be a catalyst?

2 million jobs is conceivable... they don't tell you over how much time...

actually it can be over 5 years easily. The claim is 2 million jobs and not 2 million defense jobs..."

example: US auto industry generates millions of jobs, but not all jobs are people working at the auto companies....they are folks who make spare parts for the auto company, some make tires, some vendors make the paint etc etc...there are retail shops and restaurants that open up around these companies and employ people. so indirectly plus directly - 2million is very much on the plate.

Last edited:
huh? how anymore or any less than what always happens.i.e. we see russian ak's in hands of terrorists. same terrorists that attack russia too. how will this instance be a catalyst?

AK's in terrorist hands are not necessarily Russian made - many countries make AK's. The concern given out here is specifically towards "Made in India" weapons may fall into the hands of terrorists or insurgents.

Gun running is a huge clandestine industry, terrorists acting against India (remember India is a major victim of terror) or countries that are friendly to India landing up with India made weapons will be a major embarrassment.

this segment provides an opportunity for foreign investors to earn gud ROI, I think we should promote mutually beneficial economic relationship b/w both countries.

Would india welcome Pkistani investment in this sector .... :whistle:
==============================================
With 100% FDI in defence, Desi manufacturer appoints investment banker to get funding

Meerut. As soon as he heard the news that the new government could allow 100% FDI in the defense sector, Chhota Don, the local desi katta manufacturer jumped from his seat and drafted plans to take his business global.

As per the confirmed sources of Faking News, Chhota Don has approached few prominent investment banks to get PE funding for its operations. Chhota Don is a market leader in the desi katta market in central India with almost 95% market share in UP, Bihar, MP, Haryana, and other northern states.

“Such firms were always major players in the overall defense sector, which includes domestic defense,” an expert pointed out, “Since the new government has promised not too overlook SMEs and small entrepreneurs, it’s logical that these guys are excited at the prospects.”

“We are very happy about the new policy for allowing 100% FDI in the sector. It shall not only allow us to legally manufacture our products, but will also help us to upgrade and expand our state-of-art manufacturing facilities,” confirmed an euphoric Mr. Chota Don, CEO and MD of his unregistered firm Chhota Don.

With fresh funds coming in, Chhota Don also plans to diversify into newer products such as grenades, rocket launchers, anti-aircraft missiles etc.

“Currently we sell our products only in India. We couldn’t even expand to Nepal, but now we are targeting overseas market of Syria and Sudan,” Chota Don said, adding a bullet point to his PowerPoint presentation that he intends to send to the investment bankers.

It is believed that the opening up of sector shall also enable such domestic firms to offer new marketing platforms such e-commerce and social media. Chhota Don has registered new domain name www.desikattakart.com to start its online sales operations.

“The overall arms market in India is unorganized and diversified amongst many players. The 100% FDI move shall enable such small domestic firms like Chhota Don to access capital not only from Dubai but from other territories like Somalia. The move is a clear walk the talk by Indian government with its adage minimum government and maximum governance,” commented one of the investment banker’s privy to the development but who did not want to be named.

However, Kroor Pratap Singh, one of the ex-robbers from Chambal, expressed his disappointment over the 100% FDI in the sector. He claimed that it will end up killing many small and cottage industries in central India. He went on to compare the same with FDI in retail.

“If FDI in retail could hamper the future of lakhs of small traders, then FDI in Defense shall also hamper the interest of thousands of illegal arms manufacturers in India. This new Government is working for benefits of only big companies!” Kroor Pratap Singh said.

But barring such small protests, the arms manufacturers are happy. Experts too believe that there can be about 10 PE deals in the next 2 years with investments of about USD 5 billion flowing in such deals. It is learnt that leading PE funds such as Ceqyoa capital and India growing funds are launching dedicated defense funds for such deals.

this segment provides an opportunity for foreign investors to earn gud ROI, I think we should promote mutually beneficial economic relationship b/w both countries.

yea sure but do you guys have the technology/money to do it? for all I know you guys buy much of your defence equipment from others as well

Would india welcome Pkistani investment in this sector ....
LOL you guys invest in other countries :sarcastic:
I thought you guys can just accept investment from other countries :whistle:
How much you guys will invest BTW 101 PKR rupees :omghaha:

==============================================
Institutional Investors can always invest.

This would include direct and indirect jobs mate. Think of the simple workmen who will cut and shape metal sheets or simply make nuts and bolts. All those things are being incorporated into this. I think a collective ecosystem of all the three streams of defence could create all the jobs. Maybe not 2 million exactly but around that figure.

I thought you guys can just accept investment from other countries :whistle:

what are you talking my dear ...... are you implying that India don't accept foreign investment ....:undecided::undecided:

yea sure but do you guys have the technology/money to do it? for all I know you guys buy much of your defence equipment from others as well

Don't you worry ham Ghaans Kha lain gey mager paroosio ko naraash nahi karain gey ...just give us a chance .... :whistle:

what are you talking my dear ...... are you implying that India don't accept foreign investment ....:undecided::undecided:
No Read it again dear
India accept and Invest both and Pakistan only accept that's what i was trying to say their :whistle:.

I dont agree with considering Defence Sector as another manufacturing sector. Technology Transfer should be monitored vigorously and make sure we do not become hub for nut n bolts.

Back
Top Bottom