What's new

100,000 Pakistani workers in Malaysia by next year

Hyde

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

KARACHI (August 29 2009): Pakistan is set to join Indonesia, Bangladesh and Myanmar as a primary source of foreign labour for Malaysia, with a three-fold increase in workers, taking their numbers to 100,000 by December next year. This was reported by Balan Mosses, the Deputy Chief News Editor of Malaysia's second highly circulated English language news papers the "New Strait Times' in a four column story published prominently on Thursday.

While quoting High Commissioner for Pakistan Lieutenant General Tahir Mahmud Qazi (Retd). Balan Moses, who is the top most writer and columnist of Malaysia, conduced an exclusive interview of the High Commissioner on August 24 and mainly focused on bilateral relations with Malaysia, the trade investment and business opportunities available in Pakistan especially after signing of Malaysia Pakistan Comprehensive Economic Co-operation Agreement (MPCEPA) in 2007, and opportunities for Pakistani workforce in Malaysia.

The High Commissioner told Balam that inflow of Pakistan's skilled and semi-skilled workers would contribute in Malaysia progress and prosperity, especially after the expected boom in construction activities in Malaysia as an aftermath of creation of various corridors of development in the country including Iskandar Development Region in Johor, Malaysia.

He said all necessary steps would be taken to increase the Pakistani workers to 100,000) from the existing 30,000 by December next year to assist in the development of Malaysia's various newly announced construction projects. Tahir Qazi said a memorandum of understanding (MoU) had already been signed between the two countries in 2005, wherein Pakistan had been declared as one of the source country for Malaysia for recruiting workers.

The High Commission was also liasing actively with the Construction Industry Development Board of Malaysia on the anticipated need for Pakistani workers in the short-and long-term. Giving the existing status of Pakistan labour force in Malaysia, he said there were about 30,000 Pakistani workers who were mostly employed in construction industry.

They had a proven track record of being hardworking and dependable. They had made a name for themselves in the Middle East as well, due to their ability to adapt to local conditions besides their high level of skills and expertise in the building industry. The High Commissioner said Pakistani workers were doing very well in Malaysia, too, as they had been able to work well with local employers.

There is a popular phenomena that that the pakistani based foriegn labour that is mainly deployed in the middleast and the southeast asia helps the country to earn valuable foreign exchange but despite the fact it also shows the inability of the past and the present gov to generate job opportunities for the local population . This is not only the case for the manual labour but also for the qualified masters and bachelors graduates , as a result we have been seeing a brain drain at the local level which is some what a sad news for Pakistan

well i guess this was is the good step by the government of both countries. If people will go to work abroad (as a labour) they will earn some $$$ and send the money back to Pakistan and what will happen is our government will get some remittace and his family too will get some money and the poverty will be reduced in Pakistan. Its like back in 1980s i my town most of the families were poor and then every 1 person from one of the houses moved to Japan, UK, America, Europe and other countries and withi couple of years everybody from my home town is now rich and owing properties somewhere in Pakistan. So they no longer cry like before and now enjoying their established life on different part of the world.

Same is i believe here, if 100,000 peoples will go to Malaysia they will send money back and the poverty will be reduced in Pakistan and also don't forget this is just a labour job (for construction projects) and not any Highliy skilled peoples

Malaysia is 60% muslim and is a muslim nation. It encourages Shariya (sareya) laws for muslims and is a great supporter for Islamic courses.

I have lived in Malaysia for some time and can say that 'bhumiputras' are in awe of Arabs ,Iranians and Pakistanis. One of the official languages (in train stations for example) are in Arabic (even though there is a miniscure arabic population).

For that reason, they do not like Indians very much. North Indians are tolerated but South Indians are looked down upon. Indians make up 7-8 % of the population and would have made sense to encourage their culture and religion (like Singapore does).

I lived up the good life in KL. They assumed I was Iranian or Afghani and a muslim. I did not have a heart to tell them that I was of a mixed Irish-West Punjabi stock and was a agnostic.

Hence all I can say, is this move is to increase the %ve of muslims. Good move if it suceeds but I must say, that Malaysia has seen its best days and is now moving downwards!!

lill off topic perhaps, but i wanna ask, if pakistan trains these laborers, who are not only the labour force of this country alone, but they carry an important responsibility of representing their country overseas. is there any development program the govt offers to them as to train them such a way, that they rise their country name and reputation, before they leave for abroad??? because ofcourse, we are currently facing deficiency of education and literacy in our country.

I dont think Malaysia will import manpower before the recession is over. They prostponed 55,000 bangladeshi workers' visa who were waiting to go there. They said they will take them once the economy comes back to its feet again.

"100,000 Pakistani workers in Malaysia by next year"
Not a good sign for Pakistan,it means job opportunity is less in pakistan,i think same goes with Indian also,but condition in india is improving.

U-571:"lill off topic perhaps, but i wanna ask, if pakistan trains these laborers, who are not only the labour force of this country alone, but they carry an important responsibility of representing their country overseas. is there any development program the govt offers to them as to train them such a way, that they rise their country name and reputation, before they leave for abroad??? because ofcourse, we are currently facing deficiency of education and literacy in our country. "

Labour representing their country overseas:rofl:

what i call it "nonsense",it give bad name to country which means country is unable to provide opportunity so they move to other nation for few mony and work as labour.

Ya, lots of Indian too work abroad as labour and i hate it,hope we can provide them jobs in India itself and good thing is that GOI is working on it....

December gone............. any updates on this news please?

I'm guessing all this would be labor force again as Malaysians are expanding their Palm oil plantations and they need cheap labor for it. Also remember that palm oil plantations are destroying the world's most diverse biomes i.e the tropical rain forests.

self delete

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom