What's new

1,000 Ship Navy

Adux

Reaction score

1,000 Ship Navy

"Whenever and wherever the opportunity exists, we must develop and sustain relationships that will help improve the capacity of our emerging and enduring partners’ maritime forces, and help them achieve common desired effects." (From CNO’s 2007 Guidance Focuses on Execution, February 2, 2007 )

"Fifteen years ago that would have been all U.S. Navy 6th Fleet ships. Now I am looking at getting the leverage of 10… That’s a model of a thousand-ship navy." (From article in Military Officer Magazine, October 2006)

"We talk about a “thousand ship Navy”. That’s not just our ships. It’s an international fleet of like-minded nations participating in security operations around the world." (Remarks made at a town hall meeting in Millington, Tenn. Sept. 7, 2006.)

"You’ve heard me speak of the notion of a 1,000-ship navy. It is an idea that is gaining traction. Everywhere I go, heads of navies I speak with are excited about the concept of bringing together a Fleet comprised of ships and capabilities from many law abiding nations, standing watch over the seas – standing watch with each other. " (Current Strategy Forum, Naval War College, 14 June 2006)

"I have been talking frequently about the need to bring together an international 1,000-ship Navy, not just grey hulls flying the U.S. flag, but a network of international navies, coast guards, maritime forces, port operators, commercial shippers and local law enforcement -- all working together. " (World Affairs Council, Pittsburgh, Pa., 19 May 2006)

"No nation can do everything, but all nations can do something. Maritime security starts with every nation's capacity to contribute and expands outward from there." (Regional Sea Power Symposium, Argentine Naval Staff Headquarters 7 April 2006)

"No matter how large or small your navy or coast guard may be, we all face similar internal constraints like shrinking budgets, aging equipment, and populations that may not be attracted to military service. Our level of cooperation and coordination must intensify in order to adapt to our shared challenges and constraints. We have no choice in this matter, because I am convinced that nobody - no nation today - can go it alone, especially in the maritime domain. " (17th International Seapower Symposium, 21 Sept. 2005, Newport, R.I.)

"I'm after that proverbial 1,000 ship Navy -- a fleet-in-being, if you will -- comprised of all freedom-loving nations, standing watch over the seas, standing watch over each other. Because I believe, with every fiber of my being, that we are all united by more than just fear." (To Students and Faculty of the Naval War College, 31 August 2005 at the Naval War College Newport, R.I.)

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/leadership/quotes.asp?q=11&c=2

Back
Top Bottom