What's new

Vietnam signs 25-year oil deal with Russia

Yes i know you said Vietnam should reconsider its relation with Russia, though i doubt it will, since it still thinks Russia will help it against China, and is trying to play both Russia and U.S card. Which i think at the end it will backfire on them very badly. I think they should choose the U.S while they still have the time/choice. Overalll i think it was unfortunate south Vietnam/U.S didnt win the war, if they did vietnam will have been democratic and allied with the U.S a while ago. Think China is to blame for this, since without its support the Vietcong wouldnt have won the war. Vietnamese have china to blame for their current oppressive/communist regime. This limits the vietnamese government from allying with the U.S. since they are still wary of U.S intentions, this wouldnt have been the case had the South won the war, since they trusted the U.S very much.

Nice to know you. Well Im british yes, but my dad was originally irish and my mum French. Though they both were born and grew up in britain. My mum mother was british though, same with my dads mum. Kind of a mixture.:-)
You should visit Shanghai its a pretty nice,open, mordern and same time traditional city. Im sure you will enjoy it.:-)
I will try and visit this Sapporo you talk about, i guess it must be a nice place. Ive been just to tokyo(few times) and kyoto in Japan. As for the States i have been to the states just for visits/holidays but not really lived there for long per say. Been to carlifornia, Chicago, washington, New York and new Orleans. U.S is a vast/huge country. However people there are quite uninformed when it comes to other countries(as opposed to say even authoritarian China, which really shocked me, since people i met there were quite open, willing to learn about other countries and well informed), was surprised to see most americans know little to nothing of the outside world. Apart from that its a great country. :tup:

I want to ask you, what do Japanese people think about the U.S occupation and the fact that they cant make an independent foreign policy without U.S consent?

whats the meaning of your name?:-)

Hi buddy @mike2000 ! Sorry for not responding sooner, just read this now. First and foremost, my name's Kenji. You can call me Ken lol. I've been in the United States for graduate school, finished my M.S in Industrial & Organizational Psychology and now on the final stages of my Ph.D. dissertation for I/O Psychology. So its almost been a decade that I've lived here and the country has become almost of a second home for me, its funny now you become really attached and acquainted to a new country after several years. That's awesome that you've been to california, chicago, and also the east coast! There's so much places to visit when you're in the US, i mean there are also unique linguistic variances here; like int he north east they have a very funny sounding New England accent; then in the south they have their own southern accent (and there are many types of southern accents eg, there's the Virginian accent, the Georgian accent, and even Louisiana cajun accent). lol. As for American people; they are very direct, quaint, pleasant, and overall very friendly.

As for Japanese view of America....that in itself is complex. Overall, majority of Japanese love American culture, we are so amazed at their language style, their music, and social scene. Its funny because if you go to Japan you see a lot of younger Japanese in my younger brothers' generation who try to mimick American hair styles, and attire lol. For example, the Justin Bieber hair style was quite popular several years ago. LOL.

In another much more sensitive level, many Japanese want to have a more robust Japan. As you verily well know, from your postings that i've read already, that Japanese politicians are under duress to appease international community about visitations to the Yasukuni shrine, whilst at the same time, trying not to undermine their own national sensitivities. The Yasukuni shrine is not only a shrine to Japanese war criminals of WWII (they are only but a subset there), but the Shrine is also a shrine to all the soldiers who have fought for Japanese Empire in the past; including the Japanese soldiers who fought in Bakufu, Meiji Restorative era, 1st Sino Japanese War, Russo Japanese War, and the recent war. In fact, shinto priests say the shrine is not only for those who were in the military, but also the victims. So it is a very delicate situation where to totally give up visiting the shinto shrine in Yasukuni would be to undermine one's own religion, and national duties to honor the dead. The United States has tried to , in the past, encourage leaders to cease this in the context of maintaining positive relations with their regional partners namely rok , prc, japan and taiwan. But overall, i see a mutually beneficial relationship with the United States; and the recent encouragment by the United States to support Japanese military resurgency, to increase patrols and responsibilities is a radical change in the country. So , there is much to look forward to in that aspect.

PS. Nihonjin meaning; Nihon = Japan; the suffix -jin means person from. So : Nihon-jin = person form Japan or Japanese.
Take for example a person from China would be known as Chugukojin. China = Chugoko; -jin = person from.
Another is person form Korea would be known as Kankukojin; Kankuko= Korea; -jin = person from.

Arigadou Gozaimasu!
:-)!

Hi buddy @mike2000 ! Sorry for not responding sooner, just read this now. First and foremost, my name's Kenji. You can call me Ken lol. I've been in the United States for graduate school, finished my M.S in Industrial & Organizational Psychology and now on the final stages of my Ph.D. dissertation for I/O Psychology. So its almost been a decade that I've lived here and the country has become almost of a second home for me, its funny now you become really attached and acquainted to a new country after several years. That's awesome that you've been to california, chicago, and also the east coast! There's so much places to visit when you're in the US, i mean there are also unique linguistic variances here; like int he north east they have a very funny sounding New England accent; then in the south they have their own southern accent (and there are many types of southern accents eg, there's the Virginian accent, the Georgian accent, and even Louisiana cajun accent). lol. As for American people; they are very direct, quaint, pleasant, and overall very friendly.

As for Japanese view of America....that in itself is complex. Overall, majority of Japanese love American culture, we are so amazed at their language style, their music, and social scene. Its funny because if you go to Japan you see a lot of younger Japanese in my younger brothers' generation who try to mimick American hair styles, and attire lol. For example, the Justin Bieber hair style was quite popular several years ago. LOL.

In another much more sensitive level, many Japanese want to have a more robust Japan. As you verily well know, from your postings that i've read already, that Japanese politicians are under duress to appease international community about visitations to the Yasukuni shrine, whilst at the same time, trying not to undermine their own national sensitivities. The Yasukuni shrine is not only a shrine to Japanese war criminals of WWII (they are only but a subset there), but the Shrine is also a shrine to all the soldiers who have fought for Japanese Empire in the past; including the Japanese soldiers who fought in Bakufu, Meiji Restorative era, 1st Sino Japanese War, Russo Japanese War, and the recent war. In fact, shinto priests say the shrine is not only for those who were in the military, but also the victims. So it is a very delicate situation where to totally give up visiting the shinto shrine in Yasukuni would be to undermine one's own religion, and national duties to honor the dead. The United States has tried to , in the past, encourage leaders to cease this in the context of maintaining positive relations with their regional partners namely rok , prc, japan and taiwan. But overall, i see a mutually beneficial relationship with the United States; and the recent encouragment by the United States to support Japanese military resurgency, to increase patrols and responsibilities is a radical change in the country. So , there is much to look forward to in that aspect.

PS. Nihonjin meaning; Nihon = Japan; the suffix -jin means person from. So : Nihon-jin = person form Japan or Japanese.
Take for example a person from China would be known as Chugukojin. China = Chugoko; -jin = person from.
Another is person form Korea would be known as Kankukojin; Kankuko= Korea; -jin = person from.

Arigadou Gozaimasu!
:-)!

Thanks for your reply bro, appreciate. Yes i know American culture, music, language, movies etc. U.S is great because it offers equal opportunities to everybody from any country to succeed/make it in life be it Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Africans, Latinos, Arabs, etc. That is one reason why i believe America will continue leading the world for a long time to come, and will remain the most influential nation on earth, simply because its a real melting pot, where anybody can make it regardless of their race/nationality. This is one point where i think Asia is lagging behind big time. No matter how knowleageable/competent a foreigner might be, he will never be given a position of responsibility in Asia(be it China, Japan, Korea, India, Malaysia etc). Asia is still a quite close society overall, they still ahve difficulties accepting others who are not from their region. Thast why its difficult to compete with the U.S/west, since its like competing with the best in whole world combined.:agree::usflag:
Im still waiting for a day when i can see a someone of European/Latinos/african origin hold a position of responsibility in Asia government.:azn:

As for Japan being under duress/pressure from the west/U..S to stop visiting Yakushini shrine/making silly comments about sex slavery Japan inflicted upon Asia, i must say it is really disgusting that its the west/U.S who has to even pressure Japan to stop doing such things. In fact Japan should have done this decades ago after the war. Its mainly due to the U.S fault of not purging Japan of its facists government completly like we did with Nazis Germany. Several top Japanese war criminals were spared and kept in their positions after the war because the U.S wanted to use them/support against Communism/U.S.S.R. This was a huge mistake, since it made these criminals to avoid assuming/accepting what they did or formulate a clear policy/education about what they did wrong(i cant blame them, since you cant make laws/policies to blame/condemn yourself.lol), which would have enabled the younger generation to be more aware of where their country went wrong, thus avoiding any misunderstandings with its Asians neighbours who suffered greatly under Japan. Japan is still finding it hard to accept the past and move forward. This will keep on going until Japan fully take responsbilities for this and make laws that makes it criminal/ban anyone who denies sexual slavery or Japans crimes during the war, just like Germany did. If Japan doesnt take this measures then im afraid South Korea ,China and other Asian countries will still be wary of Japan intentions/sincerity.
Today im watching the D-Day landings ceremony in Normandy(France), and im happy we in europe have moved on and are now united/live in peace with each other. This is all thanks to Germany accepting its sincerely its past and making amendments/reparations towards those who suffered under its rule. Today germans Chacellor is also present in the ceremony. I doubt there will ever be something like this in Asia, since Japan will never accept to participate in a ceremony that marked its defeat/end of the war in Asia. Its sad, but Asia still has a long wayyyyy to go.:undecided:
As for the U.S allowing Japan to rearm/take more responsibilties, i must say the U.S is doing this only because its trying to contain China and to create a divide between them. However this might not work the way the U.Shad plan, because South Korea will view this very negatively/as a threat to it. So it might make south korea be even more paranoid/wary of Japan, thus increasing Sino-Korea relations. Japan really needs to look into its recent actions of denials/attempt to look into/revise its past apologies etc This makes it look insincere no matter how many apologies it might issue later only to deny it after a while.

Awesome, so your name means person from Japan?:-)

Norge, born in Shanghai.

Cool. How often do you visit Shanghai and Asia?
I love Asia, and im planning to visit all asian countries before i turn 35.:D Next year or year after, i will be in Vietnam and probably Nepal as well. Heard from a friend of mine who has been there that its a nice/unforgettable place. Can't wait.:cheers::yahoo:

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply bro, appreciate. Yes i know American culture, music, language, movies etc. U.S is great because it offers equal opportunities to everybody from any country to succeed/make it in life be it Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Africans, Latinos, Arabs, etc. That is one reason why i believe America will continue leading the world for a long time to come, and will remain the most influential nation on earth, simply because its a real melting pot, where anybody can make it regardless of their race/nationality. This is one point where i think Asia is lagging behind big time. No matter how knowleageable/competent a foreigner might be, he will never be given a position of responsibility in Asia(be it China, Japan, Korea, India, Malaysia etc). Asia is still a quite close society overall, they still ahve difficulties accepting others who are not from their region. Thast why its difficult to compete with the U.S/west, since its like competing with the best in whole world combined.:agree::usflag:
Im still waiting for a day when i can see a someone of European/Latinos/african origin hold a position of responsibility in Asia government.:azn:

As for Japan being under duress/pressure from the west/U..S to stop visiting Yakushini shrine/making silly comments about sex slavery Japan inflicted upon Asia, i must say it is really disgusting that its the west/U.S who has to even pressure Japan to stop doing such things. In fact Japan should have done this decades ago after the war. Its mainly due to the U.S fault of not purging Japan of its facists government completly like we did with Nazis Germany. Several top Japanese war criminals were spared and kept in their positions after the war because the U.S wanted to use them/support against Communism/U.S.S.R. This was a huge mistake, since it made these criminals to avoid assuming/accepting what they did or formulate a clear policy/education about what they did wrong(i cant blame them, since you cant make laws/policies to blame/condemn yourself.lol), which would have enabled the younger generation to be more aware of where their country went wrong, thus avoiding any misunderstandings with its Asians neighbours who suffered greatly under Japan. Japan is still finding it hard to accept the past and move forward. This will keep on going until Japan fully take responsbilities for this and make laws that makes it criminal/ban anyone who denies sexual slavery or Japans crimes during the war, just like Germany did. If Japan doesnt take this measures then im afraid South Korea ,China and other Asian countries will still be wary of Japan intentions/sincerity.
Today im watching the D-Day landings ceremony in Normandy(France), and im happy we in europe have moved on and are now united/live in peace with each other. This is all thanks to Germany accepting its sincerely its past and making amendments/reparations towards those who suffered under its rule. Today germans Chacellor is also present in the ceremony. I doubt there will ever be something like this in Asia, since Japan will never accept to participate in a ceremony that marked its defeat/end of the war in Asia. Its sad, but Asia still has a long wayyyyy to go.:undecided:
As for the U.S allowing Japan to rearm/take more responsibilties, i must say the U.S is doing this only because its trying to contain China and to create a divide between them. However this might not work the way the U.Shad plan, because South Korea will view this very negatively/as a threat to it. So it might make south korea be even more paranoid/wary of Japan, thus increasing Sino-Korea relations. Japan really needs to look into its recent actions of denials/attempt to look into/revise its past apologies etc This makes it look insincere no matter how many apologies it might issue later only to deny it after a while.

I love Asia, and im planning to visit all asian countries before i turn 35.:D Next year or year after, i will be in Vietnam and probably Nepal as well. Heard from a friend of mine who has been there that its a nice/unforgettable place. Can't wait.:cheers::yahoo:

@mike2000 , is MIke your real name? My real name is Kenji. Nice to meet you , buddy! Also, thank you for your sincere response. I will write a solid response later.

I was born in Shanghai and went to Norway when I was in primary school, so I am Norwegian citizen. And what does the "1051" mean? "日本君1051"

The importance of 1051: its a sentimental date for me. A personal reason, lol.

Awesome! How do you like it over there? :-)
感謝君の返信. Norway is a country with quite a lot resource, so we can own one of the best life quality in the World, but meanwhile, one of the most expenisive price(so I'd rather drive to Sweden and buy groceries there, if having business there) Even holding such good life quality, we still know the importance of saving rescource and Money, and the life style is quite different from USA, Norway has not so much amusements, Everything is in a good order and people are happy and satisfied^^

Once every year, to see my family there. 35 yrs old? havent you finished your gap year yet now? Lots of them do that after graduating from high school or university.

Last edited:
Awesome! How do you like it over there? :-)
Shanghai shouldnt be strange for Japanese people. Lotssssssssss of them live there taking lots of 日本料理^^ to Shanghai, whatever people come from 关東 or 关西, they can find their local food there. About 动漫, as you see, I love 海贼王 best, meanwhile, I focus on 頭文字D(第六画still hasnt been released, 拓海の86 VS 信司の86, 神奈川県最终战!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom