What's new

Type 054A FFG News & Discussions

Presumably the new Chinese Frigate (Thpe 057) be a good enough to keep up with the carrier battle groups. Will it match the capabilities of the USN’ new Constellation Class?

The problem with "matching" against an unbuilt ship is that you can exaggerate the capabilities of the said unbuilt ship at any time. As of now, the 054A frigates are still the most capable ships of its type in Asia.

The problem with "matching" against an unbuilt ship is that you can exaggerate the capabilities of the said unbuilt ship at any time. As of now, the 054A frigates are still the most capable ships of its type in Asia.
The model the USN’s Constellations will be based on is the Italian FREMM frigates. Sure the USN ships will have domestic sub-systems (probably adopted from the Arleigh Burke Destroyers) but if you take the ship features of the fremm and the sub-systems of a Burke, we could approximate as close as possible to the capabilities of the future constellation frigates.

006vAw6Sgy1h5m481758wj31hc0u013y.jpg
006vAw6Sgy1h5m4816g3gj31hc0u0tki.jpg

Via @_老年_ from Weibo

The model the USN’s Constellations will be based on is the Italian FREMM frigates. Sure the USN ships will have domestic sub-systems (probably adopted from the Arleigh Burke Destroyers) but if you take the ship features of the fremm and the sub-systems of a Burke, we could approximate as close as possible to the capabilities of the future constellation frigates.

Comparing a 6,700 ton heavy frigate vs a 4,000 tons frigate is like comparing a 12,000 tons large destroyer vs a 8,000 tons destroyer.

Comparing a 6,700 ton heavy frigate vs a 4,000 tons frigate is like comparing a 12,000 tons large destroyer vs a 8,000 tons destroyer.
Italian FREMM is 6700 tons and the USS Constellations are expected to be approx. 7400 tons. 700 ton difference. It’s not as large a gap as you seem to suggest.

Italian FREMM is 6700 tons and the USS Constellations are expected to be approx. 7400 tons. 700 ton difference. It’s not as large a gap as you seem to suggest.
I did not suggest gap difference of 700 tons between FREMM and USS Constellation and any implication of their difference.

You wrote:
Presumably the new Chinese Frigate (Type 057) be a good enough to keep up with the carrier battle groups. Will it match the capabilities of the USN’ new Constellation Class?

And I wrote:

6,700 tons referred to FREMM and 4,000 tons referred to type 054a and its rumoured successor type 057 (If this type ever exist at all)

I did not suggest gap difference of 700 tons between FREMM and USS Constellation and any implication of their difference.

You wrote:
Presumably the new Chinese Frigate (Type 057) be a good enough to keep up with the carrier battle groups. Will it match the capabilities of the USN’ new Constellation Class?

And I wrote:

6,700 tons referred to FREMM and 4,000 tons referred to type 054a and its rumoured successor type 057 (If this type ever exist at all)

Ok, then I misunderstood you. I had in mind that the PLAN would build a heavier frigate then the Type 054A as the follow on design. Perhaps they won’t and will just refine the Type 052DL further as it seems they are currently building 6 Type 052DL and seem to be quite satisfied with it. Similar to how the USN for a long time used the Arliegh Burkes as their jack of all trades.

Back
Top Bottom