What's new

Turkish Sensor and Detector Programs

Thats not possible. Look how many years anka is taking and it is still not in service.

Comparing a Manned plane to and Unmanned one is the incorrect way at looking at it.

Also understand Roll Out does not mean it entering service, it's just a glorified press event to 'hey, we are almost there'.

A better comparison would be to look at Hurkus, development began in 2006, roll out happened in 2012 and first flight in 2013. All within time frame set out by TAI.

Comparing a Manned plane to and Unmanned one is the incorrect way at looking at it.

Also understand Roll Out does not mean it entering service, it's just a glorified press event to 'hey, we are almost there'.

A better comparison would be to look at Hurkus, development began in 2006, roll out happened in 2012 and first flight in 2013. All within time frame set out by TAI.

Yeah but it wasnt totally from scratch development but based on korean trainer so they helped a lot and we accomplished it... I am not so positive about TFX ofcourse we get some help but this bird will be much more complicated.. Lets wait and see

Yeah but it wasnt totally from scratch development but based on korean trainer so they helped a lot and we accomplished it... I am not so positive about TFX ofcourse we get some help but this bird will be much more complicated.. Lets wait and see

For program TFX also, you do not start from ‘scratch’. ;)

See link : JSF-F35 Fuselage Delivery Ceremony In TAI

Last edited:
For program TFX also, you do not start from ‘scratch’. ;)

I didnt say we are clueless about aircratfs :)) but this is another story mate we didn't developed or designed these parts, they were licensed products or arrived as ready-to-montage sets beside there are parts we designed on our own ofcourse. We are good at softawares and electronics and using indigenous mission cpu on our F16s. By these projects we gained a lot of experiences and we can build a figter jet with some help.. Thing we can't be agreed on is the timeline... By the year 2023 it may be not ready...

Last edited:
I think we have so many systems ready to be used on T/F-X already... Some of them just need to be modified for T/F-X like ASELPOD... I think 2023 is not an unrealistic target... Even if you think it is unrealistic date, 2023 is the best date as a target... Because it's a so meaningful date for our country which is 100th anniversary of our country's founding date... So this special date will provoke all our goverment, institutions, companies, engineers, workers etc. in a very good way... I don't think we will not reach the target of '1st Flight in 2023' however if we can not reach it in 2023 we will be so close to 1st flight... In worst case we will see roll-out till 2023 inshaAllah...

I'm sure TAI already started to work on 2nd phase of T/F-X...

Where are you getting your info from, Koreans did nada for development of Hurkus.

TAI developed everything from scratch (Except landing gear) including air foil, stop spreading misinformation..

TAI developed everything from scratch

I am proud of our engineers... electronics, avionics and critical parts are Turkish made thats what makes a plane fly.. beside landing gear, english made ejection seats, canadian motor, I heard fuel system is also italian beside environmental control system... Are obogs and anti-g also indegenous? I wont mention about body it's clearly inspired from korean trainer.
k1a2 v altay... k-9 thunder v fırtına obüsü... kt1 v hürkuş... I wont underestimate neither our engineers hard work for making a better one than already existed nor koreans help... there is nothing to be ashamed of getting some help, they built these aircrafts long ago before us... getting tech and creating a better product is the strategy of our defense sector, we made a multimillion contract with koreans 7 years ago to buy a couple of dozens trainers and now we build our owns considered way better than kt1s. You can't find every deal on paper as official release... Lets face it, we follow from way behind, we have capacity to built from scratch but without some help we will miss the train, no time and no such a luxury... thats it

I am proud of our engineers... electronics, avionics and critical parts are Turkish made thats what makes a plane fly.. beside landing gear, english made ejection seats, canadian motor, I heard fuel system is also italian beside environmental control system... Are obogs and anti-g also indegenous? I wont mention about body it's clearly inspired from korean trainer.

No those parts aren't Indigenous and if you want to knit pick electronics and avionics aren't Turkish made aswell (not the basic civilian model at least) I accept that, until there are companies in Turkey that can produce specific sub-assemblies they never be will, but those parts should not take the essence away from Hurkus being an Indigenous (built from scratch) plane. If we want to make comparisons, I suggest you look over at Embraer, Pilatus and even KAI and see how much of their sub-assemblies are foreign designed/made, even with years on TAI.

k1a2 v altay... k-9 thunder v fırtına obüsü... kt1 v hürkuş...

Going for projects which allow you to walk before you run has strengthened Turkish defence Industry tenfold - Look at India continuing to struggle with their projects and finally receiving foreign assistance.

Finding deals where assistance and tech transfer for Altay and Firtina is clear, try and find some for Hurkus and back your claim with solid proof. There are many R&D files on Hurkus completed by TAI and Turkish universities that would not exist if Hurkus was based off KT-1.

I wont underestimate neither our engineers hard work for making a better one than already existed nor koreans help... there is nothing to be ashamed of getting some help, they built these aircrafts long ago before us... getting tech and creating a better product is the strategy of our defense sector, we made a multimillion contract with koreans 7 years ago to buy a couple of dozens trainers and now we build our owns considered way better than kt1s. You can't find every deal on paper as official release... Lets face it, we follow from way behind, we have capacity to built from scratch but without some help we will miss the train, no time and no such a luxury... thats it

Hurkus started in 2006
KT-1 negotiations ended in 2007

I don't see a single Korean in this video
Oh look Koreans 6:08

But moving onto the subject which started this discussion, would Turkey need Assistance with TFX, hell yess. Could TAI produce a flying prototype by 2023? (if started this year or next) Yes. Has Turkish Government given the Green light to start development? No.

I thought this was interesting, keep in mind Aselsan is developing radars with Gallium Nitride
cafrad3_zpsffd93cfe.jpg

upload_2014-4-26_13-2-51.png

Last edited:
Suprised this hasn't been posted, Aselsan's new Radar facility
Along with all those radar programs, Aselsan agreed on constructing a new institute called REHIS to keep development of domestic radar technologies in there.

According to Aselsan officials,

-Aselsan will invest about 204 million $
-REHIS will contain Radar&Electronic warfare technologies Design/Manufacturing facilities, New Radar/system assembly areas, Microwave amplifiers Moduls Design/Manufacturing, Special Computation Labs, Accurate Mechanical Manufacturing facilities...etc
-400 Qualified Engineers

rehis.jpg

In winter :)
df.jpg

@Kaan Would it be possible to make this thread into a sticky thread?

Last edited:
http://kokpit.aero/aselsan-mikes-buyuyor-golbasi
f0414c038b5a4c83a8adbcf024cf1293a497e1e9907f58256396371ad91c4c982bb11cf7c4cc4d9dc7494ba0fc3b3656edf5d88151c9db88b4570d80d3b81c23fff2f7fd6185a6969b6a7020de82df35f025d747a49f17227

MIKES
http://www.mikes.com.tr/en/page.asp?id=9

With a $200mln investment about 1000 engineers will work in Mikes.

Mikes is an Aselsan owned institute which is working on following equipment system/subsystems to Aselsan for complete avionic packages.

• Self Protection Electronic Warfare Systems
  • Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) and Electronic Counter Measure (ECM) System
  • Chaff/Flare Dispensing System (CMDS)
  • Electronic Support Measures (ESM) System for Naval and Airborne Platforms
  • ECM Systems for Naval and Airborne Platforms
  • Electronic Attack (Support, Jamming) Systems
  • Avionic System/Subsystem Solutions
  • Software Solutions
  • Test/Support Systems
  • Digital Signal Processing Cards
  • GSM / Wi-Fi Jammers
  • RF Signal Generators

In additions to MIKES, This year, Aselsan is going to open a new Europe's biggest Electronic warfare and Radar microwave R&D, manufacturing center called REHIS in Gölbasi, Ankara...

04-aselsan-g%C3%B6lgeli-_copy(1).jpg

REHIS will have 2-3 Radar test masts.
14-aselsan.jpg

12-aselsan.jpg

SAAB unveils first GaN based radar which performs much better performance in terms of duration, range, heat resistance than GaAS based radars. Radars with GaN based Modules is considered as next generation and supposed to close the page of current generation radars.

Saab pulled off a bit of technological surprise in rainy Gothenburg on Monday. I had shown up expecting something new, but not the first-off-the-line Giraffe 4A radar, complete with gallium-nitride (GaN) active electronically scanned array technology. Everyone's been talking about GaN and its merits for a few years, but as far as we knew the closest thing to a production application was Northrop Grumman's G/ATOR, which is supposed to get upgrated to GaN in time to be operational in 2018-19.

Saab's first Giraffe 4A radar
Meanwhile, Saab's electro-tomtens in Gothenburg were quietly working in the moonlit farmyard, as tomtens do, and now have a customer (not named) for the GaN-based. 2,000-module Giraffe 4A, with delivery due in 2016.
Saab's new AESA radars | Ares

Target results of Aselsan were achieved in joint activities conducted since 2002 by ASELSAN and BİLKENT University for the production of Gallium Nitrate (GaN) semiconductors and microwave transistors. The first GaN high capable transistors were successfully manufactured in last years. Serial production of GaN high capable transistors are going to be commenced in this year, 2014 in REHIS installation of Aselsan.

GaN semi conductors are able to be manufactured just 4 countries in World and Exportation of GaN technology is limited based on countries' export policies.

Without any doubt, Those semiconductor, transistor and IC's are one of the Turkey's most critical projects.

rfteknolojileri.jpg

In Additions, Different Electro-optic critical subsystems (In additions to MCT (HgCdTe), Aselsan developed uncooled CMOS detectors succesfully as well) detectors, fuel chemicals/ G-OLED, P-LED and Grafen screen solution programs. Aselsan is playing Top-5 critical technology owner institute of the World without any doubt and It is planned to gain million $ thanks to those small nanotech critical subsystems.

That's why Aselsan is investing hundreds of million $ for new REHIS installations and converting MIKES in accordance with serial production process of those technologies. I am talking about 1500+ Microwave module and Electronic warfare/radar engineers to be employed in REHIS+Aselsan/MIKES.

New REHIS instalation
03-aselsan-gC3B6lgeli-bC3BCyC3BCk_copy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom