What's new

The Wehrmacht In Pictures: A Look At One of History's Legendary Fighting Force

I've noticed that there are a lot of Nazi fans on this site.

One must wonder why..
Because Nazis are cool :coffee:

BTW @Desert Fox have you come across this channel before? They seem to do lot of heavy post processing/speeding etc to give a more dynamic feel to the video footage:

No I haven't. Thank you for directing me to it because that is some bad@ss quality of the videos. I am amazed. Did this uploader have access to similar production software as the makers of "They Shall Not Grow Old"? The quality is superb. Only now we need some voices to go with the video.

Did this uploader have access to similar production software as the makers of "They Shall Not Grow Old"? The quality is superb. Only now we need some voices to go with the video.

No idea...I just randomly stumbled into it, and will need to do some digging when I have some time.

Afrika korps 3t Opel Blitz 3600 S Zwillingssockel

Afrika_korps_3t_Opel_Blitz_3600_S__Zwillingssockel_36_and_sonderanhanger.jpg

Opel_Blitz_Wehrmacht_truck.jpg
Opel_Blitz_Wehrmacht_truck_2.jpg

Opel blitz and Czech 15mm ZB vz. 60 heavy machine gun
Opel_blitz_and_Czech_15mm_ZB_vz._60_heavy_machine_gun.jpg

Mercedes Benz Lo 2000
Mercedes_Benz_Lo_2000_Wehrmacht_truck.jpg

@Nilgiri @Desert Fox

Glorifying the Nazi army is a joke. They were well stocked, well armored and well geared and yet got a sound thumping in the war. Even during the initial invasion of Poland, the Nazi Wehrmacht was a useless force which took too long to defeat an under-equipped and small Polish army. It was the airforce with its screaming Stukas which shook the Polish army and not the Wehrmacht. The pictures of the Wehrmacht marching victoriously through Poland was staged by Hitler who was disappointed by their performance during the Polish invasion. The only advantage which the Wehrmacht had was its size. It was huge in number. If comparison is had to the size of the army of the UK, it's a shame that the Wehrmacht could never decisively defeat the British army before the US joined the war. If we consider the performance of the US army post world war 2, I would think that they put the Nazi Wehrmacht to shame.

Glorifying the Nazi army is a joke. They were well stocked, well armored and well geared and yet got a sound thumping in the war. Even during the initial invasion of Poland, the Nazi Wehrmacht was a useless force which took too long to defeat an under-equipped and small Polish army. It was the airforce with its screaming Stukas which shook the Polish army and not the Wehrmacht. The pictures of the Wehrmacht marching victoriously through Poland was staged by Hitler who was disappointed by their performance during the Polish invasion. The only advantage which the Wehrmacht had was its size. It was huge in number. If comparison is had to the size of the army of the UK, it's a shame that the Wehrmacht could never decisively defeat the British army before the US joined the war. If we consider the performance of the US army post world war 2, I would think that they put the Nazi Wehrmacht to shame.
Wrong on so many levels. The early war Wehrmacht was even less equipped and motorized than the French, and not numbers but tactics won them the Battle of France. While the Allies were primarily using semi auto rifles as service issued weapon, the Germans had the bolt action Kar98k, but their training was adequate for making maximum use of accurate fire and combined with good MG fire they had it going well.

Men like Guderian and Rommel are a fine example of their tactical prowess, had they not made the Soviets their foes, they could've easily ended the war on their own terms. German Staff was brilliant but hijacked by Hitler, who despite some remarkable feats during his commanding career, such as the outflanking and massive captures during Op Barbarossa, failed at a strategic level as he overestimated his potential, and in short was not realistic after initial feats.

The British were lazy folks, masters of the sea but i wouldn't rate them good as an army. The English Channel saved their arses. Their air force was however good enough on a tactical level to resist the Luftwaffe on homeground.

Germans had a weak ally in the European theatre, and that gave the Allies opportunity to thin the German deployments and divert attention from the Eastern Front by campaigns in the Mediterranean.

The biggest reason for higher Allied casualties was the Wehrmacht itself, even in it's final days, it inflicted heavier losses, such as Model's defence of Aachen, and operations in the Hurtgen Forest.

The fact that most armies post WW2 took inspiration from Hitler's War Machine in tactics and manouver, is a testament to it's prowess and legacy, as the war's best fighting force.

When a first German tank was captured by British and they analyzed the design and its features, the self congratulatory British tank designers were put to shame! This was one of the statements I heard in a History channel program about WW2 tanks.

Not just that, the quality of tanks was such that it looked like it was built in a Mercedes factory whereas British tanks looked like they were built by ironsmith.

@Nilgiri @Desert Fox Any pictures of Wehrmacht motorbikes? Their bikes were very cool.

When a first German tank was captured by British and they analyzed the design and its features, the self congratulatory British tank designers were put to shame! This was one of the statements I heard in a History channel program about WW2 tanks.

Not just that, the quality of tanks was such that it looked like it was built in a Mercedes factory whereas British tanks looked like they were built by ironsmith.

@Nilgiri @Desert Fox Any pictures of Wehrmacht motorbikes? Their bikes were very cool.

Especially cool when the sidecar had a MG34 or MG42:

Pretty neat when ppl restore them:

Especially cool when the sidecar had a MG34 or MG42:

Pretty neat when ppl restore them:

Although bikes were cool and looked bad a** but how about this? ;)

Kettenkrad
NSU_Kettenkrad_4.jpg
Italian_soldiers_ride_SdKfz_2_to_surrender_to_British_in_Egypt_42.jpg
Kettenkrad_dak_1942.jpg
Kettenkrad_of_6_Panzer_division_1942.jpg
Kettenkrad_pak35_36.jpg

"This unusual vehicle was initially intended to be used as an air-portable artillery tractor for very light weapons in German airborne units, being small enough to be carried in the cargo hold of the standard Junkers Ju52/3m transport aircraft. The Kleines Kettenkraftrad made its operational debut in the 1941 Crete landings, but following this German airborne troops were generally employed only as elite regular infantry, and so the Kettenkrad (as it was now named), with its intended role now largely redundant, became eagerly sought, despite its sluggish performance, by other units (particularly those serving on the eastern front) as a supply vehicle in difficult terrain, where other vehicles could not travel.

Despite limited production, Kettenkrads were later widely issued to other branches of the German armed forces and became a highly popular light supply vehicle, particularly in the Russian and North African theatres of war. Some were even employed by the Luftwaffe to tow Me 262 jet fighters on airfield runways to conserve aircraft fuel supplies. However, by 1944, they were seen as an expensive luxury and production was discontinued. By this time some 8,345 had been constructed. After the war NSU went on to manufacture around 550 more Kettenkrads for agricultural use.

One interesting variant was a high-speed cable-laying vehicle for linking command posts with forward positions."

Full read

I'd drive this instead :P

Pretty crazy:

Also if anyone interested in the sublime piece of music (used by RRG radio for their broadcasts), it is the preludes opening/finale (by Liszt):

The complete piece (has other great moments):

Karajan really takes it to the tempo that the piece deserves, most other conductors go bit too fast imo.

That!! Was EPIC!! Man I'm glad that was chosen as the theme for op. Barbarossa. Such a grand music is befitting for an equally grand military operation the likes of which the world might never see again (especially with the advent of nukes and the likelihood of MAD).

DIE-DEUTSCHE-WOCHENSCHAU.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom