What's new

The death of cinemas in Bangladesh

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2016/apr/23/death-cinemas-bangladesh

today's paper >> back page >> published: 01:41 april 23, 2016 >> updated : 01:43 april 23, 2016
The death of cinemas in Bangladesh
Promiti Prova Chowdhury

Cinemas, once a popular place for entertainment, have gradually lost appeal. Dhaka Tribune’s Promiti Prova Chowdhury explores the sector’s decline in the first story of a two-part series
  • Mehedi-Hasan-19.jpg
    The recent photo shows the empty entrance of Dhaka’s Ananda Cinema Hall. The falling number of moviegoers has forced many cinema halls to shut their doors for good over the past decade
    Photo- MEHEDI HASAN
Since 2000, as many as 914 cinemas have been closed down, according to Bangladesh Motion Pictures Exhibitors Association. Only 321 cinema halls remain open across Bangladesh.

Reasons for the sharp decline in numbers are manifold. Many blame piracy, poor film quality, obscenity, and run-down condition of theatres.

“Piracy is one of the main issues,” said BMPEA Vice-President Sudipta Kumar Das. “For example, a hall owner may spend Tk1 lakh to screen a film. Imagine what he feels when he finds out that people at nearby tea stalls are watching that film on the very day it is released.

“Also, people in rural areas prefer watching films in tea stalls rather than coming to cinema halls.”

He said people working for distributors are involved in piracy in most cases. They make copies of films before screening.

Sohanur Rahman Sohan, vice-president of Bangladesh Film Directors Association (BFDA), said: “Piracy is biting off profits and discouraging producers. Low budgets mean poor-quality films.”

He suggested films be released digitally across halls through a server, as done in India, to prevent piracy.

Sudipta said people can now enjoy movies on hand-held devices. Several decades ago, people went to cinemas as it was the only place where films were screened.

The target group, too, has changed; before 1971, it was mainly the middle-class but now it is the low-income group.

Sudipta explained: “The change occurred in mid-1990s with the advent of satellite channels when local directors started producing low-quality remakes of Hindi films.”

Commercial film-maker Sohan claimed some cinema owners deliberately inserted nudity. Also, most cinemas are dirty and have poor or no sanitation facility. These factors discourage people from going to movies with friends and families.

“We have to rent projectors for screening films at some halls. Projector owners charge Tk3 from every ticket sold,” Sohan said.

Director Morshedul Islam said he believed hall conditions need to be improved first to encourage producers but Sudipta claimed that after incurring losses for years, “it was impossible to digitalise the halls.”

SM Delwar Sentu was forced to close down Sangeeta Cinema Hall in Narsingdi in 2004. “It was established in 1975. I took over from my father in 1994. Forty-six of my employees became jobless when it was shut down,” he said, blaming the government and directors for mostly focusing on the television sector.

Safar Ali Bhuiyan once owned 13 cinemas around the country but has only two of them – Obhishar and Neptune – running at present.

“I had been incurring losses since 2001. Only 15-16 people came for shows,” he said. “I shut down Agomoni and Otithi cinema halls as their electricity bills were higher than the income they generated. The monthly utility bill was Tk1.5 lakh whereas I earned around Tk50,000 and had to pay the staff as well.”

Safar believes opening the market for foreign films is the way to save Bangladesh’s dying cinema halls – an idea highly opposed by local film-makers.

- See more at: http://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/2016/apr/23/death-cinemas-bangladesh#sthash.MPglupov.dpuf

Last edited:
Although I am against Indian cultural intrusion in BD and favor less and less import from that country,but I am willing to make an exception for Indian cinema.It seems the only way in current realities to revive the dying local film industry.Hollywood movies are too expensive to import,and local trashy quality film prohibit the people to go to cinema.Result is, cinema hall is closing down at an alarming rate,multiplex movie theater also not coming to fill the gap.As multiplex can't run on only local low quality movie.

There is a huge popularity of Bollywood film in our country whether we like it or not.This can halt the closing down of cinema hall and encourage to open more multiplex theater.Initially local trashy film will be kicked out from the hall and they will suffer loss,but it will encourage the good producer to come out with good film.

Competition is the only way to forward.The worst decision was to shield our local cinema from competition with captive market.So it went only downhill as there is no incentive to try better.With cinema hall closer the budget of film also inevitably going down and quality of cinema.If we want to break this vicious cycle we need a competitive environment.We need to learn from Tamil,Telegu film industry.

Last edited:
Although I am against Indian cultural intrusion in BD and favor less and less import from that country,but I am willing to make an exception for Indian cinema.It seems the only way in current realities to revive the dying local film industry.Hollywood movies are too expensive to import,and local trashy quality film prohibit the people to go to cinema.Result is cinema hall is closing down at an alarming rate,multiplex movie theater also not coming to fill the gap.As multiplex can't run on only local low quality movie.

There is a substantial popularity of Bollywood film in our country whether we like it or not.This can halt the closing down of cinema hall and encourage to open more multiplex theater.Initially local trashy film will be kickedout from the hall and they will suffer loss,but it will encourage the good producer to come out with good film.

Competition is the only way to forward.The worst decision was to shield our local cinema from competition with captive market.So it went only downhill as there is no incentive to try better.With cinema hall closer the budget of film also inevitably going down and quality of cinema.If we want to break this vicious cycle we need a competitive environment.We need to learn from Tamil,Telegu film industry.

I think BD should lift its restriction south asian films. But still should put restriction on bollywood films. Its not good thing how they promote sexual content, prostitution and drugs in their films. I think there can more integration with Indian Bengali films. And some from south. But movies with excessive sexual content or glorifying Hinduism or Indian nationalism should be prohibited. People associated with BD film industries created a third class monopoly which keeping BD people away from this sector.

I think BD should lift its restriction south asian films. But still should put restriction on bollywood films. Its not good thing how they promote sexual content, prostitution and drugs in their films. I think there can more integration with Indian Bengali films. And some from south. But movies with excessive sexual content or glorifying Hinduism or Indian nationalism should be prohibited. People associated with BD film industries created a third class monopoly which keeping BD people away from this sector.
Not all bollywood film, but like pk,Bajrangi Bhaijan type. And of course good quality Indian Bangla,Tamil and Telegu film should be shown in BD.

Last edited:
Although I am against Indian cultural intrusion in BD and favor less and less import from that country,but I am willing to make an exception for Indian cinema.It seems the only way in current realities to revive the dying local film industry.Hollywood movies are too expensive to import,and local trashy quality film prohibit the people to go to cinema.Result is cinema hall is closing down at an alarming rate,multiplex movie theater also not coming to fill the gap.As multiplex can't run on only local low quality movie.

There is a huge popularity of Bollywood film in our country whether we like it or not.This can halt the closing down of cinema hall and encourage to open more multiplex theater.Initially local trashy film will be kickedout from the hall and they will suffer loss,but it will encourage the good producer to come out with good film.

btw bollywood also killed many regional cinema like bengali, marathi and kannada movie industry. They faced same issue(poor quality movie that drove people to bollywood that forced produces to make poor quality movies)

but you are right, multiplexes can attract middle class movie goers and stop the vicious cycle and you need bollywood/hollywood to be screened in those multiplexes. There is a revival of movie industry in pakistan now.

Not only cinema our TV Drama industry has also declined rapidly after Star Plus and Zee TV managed to cater all women folks of our country but currently a drama of new BD channel Deepto TV caught my attention. Its called 'Aparajita'.

12583618_739920982805365_875640833_n.jpg

Not only cinema our TV Drama industry has also declined rapidly after Star Plus and Zee TV managed to cater all women folks of our country but currently a drama of new BD channel Deepto TV caught my attention. Its called 'Aparajita'.

12583618_739920982805365_875640833_n.jpg
Sultan Suleman Bangla dubbing is the most popular serial on that channel.Many women turn to Deepto tv specially for that.I hope they can replace Zee Bangla.

killed many regional cinema like bengali, marathi and kannada
some of the local regional cinema like kannada which had a vibrant industry lost out bcos
1) they dint allow outsiders . (tamil,telegu has all the hindi heroines landing roles. they constantly get and exchange artists from other regions.
2) monopoly, one or two groups control industry.
3) lack of creativity , absolute trashy third rate dialogues.

Earlier bengali,marathi and kannada film industry was good because they used local langauge literature for their story lines. Films were based on social causes. There were actors who dint give into third rate kinky dialogues or songs.

BD has to allow in competition and learn from competitors. It will bring in money which will encourage local talent talent. Shutting of outsiders is what creates a monopoly and finally death of the industry.

If bengalis cannot make film based on tagores novels then they are not good enough. They have rich literature that they have ignored.

Sultan Suleman Bangla dubbing is the most popular serial on that channel.Many women turn to Deepto tv specially for that.I hope they can replace Zee Bangla.

Sultan Suleman is a Turkish drama about Ottoman empire. Our audience want local quality dramas.

First time national film award is revoked after accusation is proved that the director plagiarized the story from an Indian book without giving any credit to the real author.

Brihonnola has prizes revoked

brihonnola_1.jpg

The three national awards “Brihonnola” was awarded back in 2014 from the categories of Best Film, Best Dialogue and Best Story have been revoked owing to the accused plagiarism of the film's story. It was accused that the story from “Gaachti Bolechilo” by novelist Syed Mustafa Siraj of Kolkata, has been plagiarised and used under the director Murad Parvez's name. After the accusations were proven true, the decision was taken to revoke the awards for the film. In addition to that, the director has been asked to return the Government grant of BDT. 24 lac, which they previously received for producing the film.

The Best Film Award will be given to “Nekabbor'er Mohaproyan,” while “Meghmallar” writer Akhtaruzzaman Iliyas will receive the award for Best Story. Zahidur Rahman Anjan will receive the award for Best Dialogue for “Meghmallar.”

http://www.thedailystar.net/showbiz/deshi-grapevine/brihonnola-has-prizes-revoked-1213015

Not all bollywood film, but like pk,Bajrangi Bhaijan type. And of course good quality Indian Bangla,Tamil and Telegu film should be shown in BD.

Will Bangladeshis chant jay jay bajrangbali in the streets seeing Bajrangi Bhaijan? And what about BNP's JMB will explode some bombs seeing people going to cinema halls. We want less of Hinduism in the country not more. I saw top BNP leaders worship Allah and Mansha same time. And top BNP leaders promote alocohol consumption in the country. India movies will escalate the existing effect. And BNP leader promote secret jalsha, prostitution and drug party with Bollywood songs and actresses these will help to add up more.

It is not the film but the condition of the theater which is the main reason of decline. Besides most middle class with family and female friends dont like to sit by the rickshaw pullers.

Although I am against Indian cultural intrusion in BD and favor less and less import from that country,but I am willing to make an exception for Indian cinema.It seems the only way in current realities to revive the dying local film industry.Hollywood movies are too expensive to import,and local trashy quality film prohibit the people to go to cinema.Result is, cinema hall is closing down at an alarming rate,multiplex movie theater also not coming to fill the gap.As multiplex can't run on only local low quality movie.

There is a huge popularity of Bollywood film in our country whether we like it or not.This can halt the closing down of cinema hall and encourage to open more multiplex theater.Initially local trashy film will be kicked out from the hall and they will suffer loss,but it will encourage the good producer to come out with good film.

Is that really worth a sacrifice? Bollywood is by far a very commercialized film industry. If we allow that to happen wouldn't that only influence Bangladesh's native film makers to go for more Bollywood inspired movies? I'll admit there are good and sometimes great Bollywood movies out there but, it is few. Trying to find a good Bollywood movie as I said before, is trying to find gold in a wasteland. Granted with the age of the internet it makes things much easier.

Is that really worth a sacrifice? Bollywood is by far a very commercialized film industry. If we allow that to happen wouldn't that only influence Bangladesh's native film makers to go for more Bollywood inspired movies? I'll admit there are good and sometimes great Bollywood movies out there but, it is few. Trying to find a good Bollywood movie as I said before, is trying to find gold in a wasteland. Granted with the age of the internet it makes things much easier.
Bangladeshi film can't go anymore bollywoodization as it is thoroughly bollywoodized from top to bottom for a long time.What we are seeing in Bangla film is,cheaper and dumber version of bollywood.It would be even immense improvement if they can achieve current bollywood film quality or from 3rd grade bollywood copycat to 1st grade bollywood inspired film.

We have banned bollywood film for over 50 years.Has it improved our cinema quality or people having difficulty at watching them? How it will be culturally more harmful if anyone see those movie in cinema hall rather than in dvd player or compuer? Afterall those who want to watch them,watching it on their dvd player or compuer without any hasle?
And how we can maintain our crystal clear cultural purity by allowing more than half our cable tv channel Indian origin? Showing bollywood film in our living room day and night? Is watching them in cinema hall will be more harmful?
At least our cinema hall could survive and make some money and some of them could be invest to make quality film locally?How can you make good movie if there are not enough cinema hall to show them?

Last edited:
Bangladeshi film can't go anymore bollywoodization as it is thoroughly bollywoodized from top to bottom for a long time.What we are seeing in Bangla film is,cheaper and dumber version of bollywood.It would be even immense improvement if they can achieve current bollywood film quality or from 3rd grade bollywood copycat to 1st grade bollywood inspired film.

We have banned bollywood film for over 50 years.Has it improved our cinema quality or people having difficulty at watching them? How it will be culturally more harmful if anyone see those movie in cinema hall rather than in dvd player or compuer? Afterall those who want to watch them,watching it on their dvd player or compuer without any hasle?
And how we can we maintain our crystal clear cultural purity by allowing more than half our cable tv channel Indian origin? Showing bollywood film in our living room day and night? Is watching them in cinema hall will be more harmful?
At least our cinema hall could survive and make some money and some of them could be invest to make quality film locally?How can you make good movie if there are not enough cinema hall to show them?
You do have a point, I just dread Bangladesh's film industry becoming a Little Bollywood. But, then again movies in the US are heavily commercialized as well, yet there is still a strong places of movies with artistic quality to them. Hopefully Bangladesh's film industry doesn't produce the same quality to crap ratio that Bollywood does if we allow this to happen.

Back
Top Bottom