What's new

Six Russian Kilo Class Submarines to Vietnam, Worth $3.2 billion

The German law prohibits delivering lethal weapons such as submarines to a non-NATO foreign country in a war zone.

The South China Sea is turning definitely into a war zone. So I don´t believe that Germany will sell Subs to Vietnam. Well, there is only one exception: Israel. But the Germans have a special relationship with the Jews State. So no go here.

I hope, we will get some Nuclear Submarines from the Russians. Nuclear Submarines have more advantages over conventional ones. Let me post this one report from a U.S. sailor:

6258219449_c5f14aba02_m.jpg

Nuclear submarines

What are the advantages of nuclear-powered submarines over conventional submarines?

Having spent several years on a nuclear submarine, I can tell you that they have several advantages and a few disadvantages when compared to diesel submarines; some of these you can read about in the navy recruiter's literature, and some they probably won't go into much.

The single biggest advantage is that nuclear subs are truly independent of the surface for as long as their food (and the sanity of the crew) holds out. We made our own water and oxygen, we didn't have to come to the surface to run a diesel, our batteries could be recharged even while deeply submerged, and we were actually faster when submerged than on the surface. The nuclear reactor provided all the energy we needed and let us operate up to (in my case) 10 weeks continuously submerged. This was a huge tactical advantage.

The nuclear reactor also let us operate at high speeds for long periods of time. We could cross the Pacific at a higher rate of speed than any conventionally powered ship because we didn't have to slow down every so often to take on new fuel. So, for example, we made it from San Diego to the Kamchatka Peninsula in 10 days, compared to over two weeks for a conventionally powered surface ship. A diesel submarine would probably not have made the trip because they may not have had enough fuel to go over and back, while remaining on station long enough to do any good.

Which brings us to a third thing—endurance on station. We could spend as much time on station (in our designated operating area) as necessary because, again, we were not tied to a fuel supply. So, as long as the food held out, we could stay happily snapping photos of Soviet ships. This is why, for example, a missile submarine can stay out for three straight months.

Finally, we had a lot more room, and our living conditions were much nicer than a diesel boat. Our battery was much smaller, our diesels were much smaller, and the amount of fuel oil we carried was much smaller than a conventional sub, giving us a lot more room inside for weapons, electronics, and the crew. We did not live in the lap of luxury, but it was a lot nicer than on a diesel sub—and we could shower every two to three days, instead of every one to two weeks. Plus do laundry every week or so! Not the Ritz, but not bad.

The main disadvantage is that a nuclear power plant is noisier than a sub running on batteries. Our pumps were noisy, we had steam noise, and our electric plant put out a 60-cycle "hum," all of which could be picked up by a good sonar system. We were quiet, but even the quietest nuclear sub makes more noise than a conventional boat running on batteries. Luckily, most navies don't have very good sonar, so we were able to spend a total of eight months near the Soviet Union without being heard—as did most other fast attack subs in the US Navy.

The other disadvantages are fairly obvious—nuclear subs are larger, more expensive, and more complicated than diesel boats. However, the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages for the US Navy.

Lastly, believe it or not, our radiation dose dropped when we went to sea, in spite of the reactor being run at sea and shut down in port. It turns out that the nuclear reactor gave us less radiation exposure than natural background, so when we were at sea the drop in background (we were surrounded by water, which is a good radiation shield) more than offset the radiation from our reactor.

Andrew Karam, CHP, PhD

The German law prohibits delivering lethal weapons such as submarines to a non-NATO foreign country in a war zone.

The South China Sea is turning definitely into a war zone. So I don´t believe that Germany will sell Subs to Vietnam. Well, there is only one exception: Israel. But the Germans have a special relationship with the Jews State. So no go here.

I hope, we will get some Nuclear Submarines from the Russians. Nuclear Submarines have more advantages over conventional ones. Let me post this one report form a U.S. submariner

With due respect, conventional subs will fill the Viet Nam requirements far better than any Nuclear Sub. Many of the reasons are there already in Andrew Karam's article itself.

First and foremost, the Viet Namese subs will be operating in coastal, littoral waters not in the middle of the Pacific. In these waters that they will operate in Nuclear subs are more vulnerable and detectable. While a conventional sub is more silent/undetectable in that environment. Then even endurance is not an issue. The subs will not need to sail very far from their bases, while the US subs had to cross a vast ocean. Then again there is the question of operating costs. For the same money, more conventional subs can be operated, which will cover the endurance lacuna of conventional subs, which is probably the only lacuna in this context.

I see your points.
Though Vietnam has an ambition to have a blue-water Navy in the future. So Nuclear Subs will fit better.

I see your points.
Though Vietnam has an ambition to have a blue-water Navy in the future. So Nuclear Subs will fit better.

I am still doubtful how I can agree with that.

Viet Nam primarily needs to secure its borders and EEZ. After that anything else has to be well-thought and acted upon in calibrated fashion.

As an analogy, I'd need to keep just the number of Rottweilers and Dobermans that are necessary to protect my property, as many of them as I can afford to feed and as many I can control. So the important thing is the value and expanse of my property as well as my own capabilities.

Vietnam needs weapons that serve as deterrence to any enemy.
China is well ahead of Vietnam in terms of military power. And at the speed of current defence spending, we will get more uncomfortable day by day.

If China sends warships to the South China Sea, we should send ours to East China Sea.
I guess it is not far away that Vietnam has to decide if it wants to side with a Super Power.

What planet do you live on, fanboy.

Do you have any idea what will happen to India if it proliferates Nuclear and Missile Technology.

Oh, Sir please kindly enlightens us with the fate what would await us if we went ahead with proliferation.
Americans did , the French did, Chinese did, even you did. So why should we not join the group , Vietnam is democratic state, if a state like Pakistan can go nuclear then why not a state like Vietnam should go nuclear.

great news! looks we will get the first submarine this year, earlier than expected.

Russia to launch first Kilo class submarine made for Vietnam
2012-08-15 03:37:40 GMT2012-08-15 11:37:40(Beijing Time) SINA.com

By Mei Jingya, Sina English

Vietnam+Kilo.jpg

The first of six submarines of the Vietnam navy in the manufacturing process (photo : ttvnol)

Russia's Ria Novosti reported on Tuesday that the first of 6 Kilo/ Project 636 class submarine Russia is building for Vietnam will be launched this month.

Citing sources with Russian Defense officials, the first submarine will be launched from a shipyard in St Petersburg by the end of August and will be delived to Vietnam within 2012 after a series of trials on the sea.

What planet do you live on, fanboy.

Do you have any idea what will happen to India if it proliferates Nuclear and Missile Technology.

Really? I mean, you are still existing as a country, aren't you, after all that proliferation your generals and scientists did?

What makes you think shyte will hit the fan for us?

If at all we give nuke tech to Vietnam, it would make US's job easier.

Unlike you, they don't like to axe their own feet. :lol:

But yeah, we have a very strong record that speaks for itself and we would like to maintain it. Our nuclear program is only meant for defense of our territory.

Oh, Sir please kindly enlightens us with the fate what would await us if we went ahead with proliferation.
Americans did , the French did, Chinese did, even you did. So why should we not join the group , Vietnam is democratic state, if a state like Pakistan can go nuclear then why not a state like Vietnam should go nuclear.

They are not democratic, but we Indians are not democracy worshippers, being the point.

Vietnam is a friendly country with whom we never have had any issues.

If we had a slightly more pro-active government (and a lot more patriotic), it would acknowledge this.

Helping Vietnam strategically is good for our country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom