What's new

Pakistan's acquisition of the U-214

So u guys gonna party tonight?...

Are you buying it with full TOT or is it just maintainance at Karachi?

New policy adapted by military think tank under Musharraf is to aquire new platforms with full ToT. Current requirement stands for 6-12 new subs by 2015, half of those will be built at Karachi.

AoA
Good news indeed. This full ToT concept is a misnomer. Most of the equipments would be imported as is. This is just not this deal but any deal signed worldwide.

64 months is a long time! in next 4 years. IN will have 2 new type subs while PN will be stuck with 3 odd agousta-90B the 70 is a subjunk.
i thought the plan was for 4 u-boats? could it be like the PN wants 1 sub build in HDW while the other 3 will be build later in pakistan?

I think it is time to move for Pakistan from jst building subs to designing and developing them. :)

Report: Pakistan to buy German submarines

Wed, 26 Nov 2008

Author : DPA

Islamabad - Pakistan has formally decided to buy three Type 214 German submarines under a more than 1 billion dollar deal that the two countries are expected to sign in coming months, a media report said on Wednesday. German shipbuilding company Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW) will construct the diesel-electric submarines in a shipyard in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi, Pakistan's English-language daily The News reported.

"The commercial contract has been finalised up to 95 per cent," Walter Freitag, the chief executive officer of the HDW, the largest conventional submarine maker in the world told the newspaper, hoping that the final agreement will be signed soon.

Freitag, who was interviewed during Pakistani defence products exhibition named IDEAS 2008 in Karachi, said that the first submarine would be delivered to Pakistan Navy in 64 months once the contract is signed.

"The rest would be completed in the next 12 months," he added.

Pakistan has traditionally relied on French submarines for its Naval defence and it is first time that the South Asian country has opted for German boats.

Earlier, French firm Armaris, a subsidiary of France's Thales group, had lobbied for the sale of three Marlin type submarines, the latest version of the three Agosta 90-B boats, the last of which the company handed over to Pakistan in 2006.

"The Pakistan navy understands submarines and ours are best," Freitag said.

"We use higher grade steel material, which allows greater diving depth. Also, we have fuel cell AIPs and can integrate Harpoons with the Type 214," he added.

The non-nuclear Type 214 is a 65-metre-long boat which can dive more than 25 metres but it lacks technology to avoid detection.

Pakistan's quest for new submarines was prompted after its traditional nuclear-armed rival India reached a 1.5 billion euro deal in 2005 with a French company for seven Scorpion submarine.

But even with Type 214, Pakistan will be lagging behind India as Scorpion submarines are believed to be technologically superior to the German boats.

Copyright, respective author or news agency

Report: Pakistan to buy German submarines

Wed, 26 Nov 2008

Author : DPA

Islamabad - Pakistan has formally decided to buy three Type 214 German submarines under a more than 1 billion dollar deal that the two countries are expected to sign in coming months, a media report said on Wednesday. German shipbuilding company Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH (HDW) will construct the diesel-electric submarines in a shipyard in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi, Pakistan's English-language daily The News reported.

"The commercial contract has been finalised up to 95 per cent," Walter Freitag, the chief executive officer of the HDW, the largest conventional submarine maker in the world told the newspaper, hoping that the final agreement will be signed soon.

Freitag, who was interviewed during Pakistani defence products exhibition named IDEAS 2008 in Karachi, said that the first submarine would be delivered to Pakistan Navy in 64 months once the contract is signed.

"The rest would be completed in the next 12 months," he added.

Pakistan has traditionally relied on French submarines for its Naval defence and it is first time that the South Asian country has opted for German boats.

Earlier, French firm Armaris, a subsidiary of France's Thales group, had lobbied for the sale of three Marlin type submarines, the latest version of the three Agosta 90-B boats, the last of which the company handed over to Pakistan in 2006.

"The Pakistan navy understands submarines and ours are best," Freitag said.

"We use higher grade steel material, which allows greater diving depth. Also, we have fuel cell AIPs and can integrate Harpoons with the Type 214," he added.

The non-nuclear Type 214 is a 65-metre-long boat which can dive more than 25 metres but it lacks technology to avoid detection.

Pakistan's quest for new submarines was prompted after its traditional nuclear-armed rival India reached a 1.5 billion euro deal in 2005 with a French company for seven Scorpion submarine.

But even with Type 214, Pakistan will be lagging behind India as Scorpion submarines are believed to be technologically superior to the German boats.

Copyright, respective author or news agency

Another blunder by reporters. It is not Scorpion but Scorpene. Definetely it is not a typo.

AFAIK, German subs are the silent and deadliest ones than Scorpene. Can somebody throw some light on this.

The legend of U-Boats lives on.

Its a great choice for Pakistan navy and i hope Pakistan Navy will have a great boost after this Deal but the problem is it will take a lot of time like 5 to 6 years, its like The sailors and officers who will operate these subs have not even joined Pakistan navy.

Indian navy is far superior to Pakistan navy "NUMERICALLY", the only way Pakistan can bridge this gap is not by adding Quantity but by adding Quality to its fleet .

U 214 is nice choice for Pakistan Navy and in future we can see the Turkish co-operation in this project as well.

The legend of U-Boats lives on.

Its a great choice for Pakistan navy and i hope Pakistan Navy will have a great boost after this Deal but the problem is it will take a lot of time like 5 to 6 years, its like The sailors and officers who will operate these subs have not even joined Pakistan navy.

Indian navy is far superior to Pakistan navy "NUMERICALLY", the only way Pakistan can bridge this gap is not by adding Quantity but by adding Quality to its fleet .

U 214 is nice choice for Pakistan Navy and in future we can see the Turkish co-operation in this project as well.

Why would Pakistan buy something India rejected ? which missile will it fire ?

Regards

The first submarine would be delivered to the Pakistan Navy in 64 months after signing of the contract while the rest would be completed successively in 12 months. Walter Freitag stated that they would be using facilities at the Karachi Shipyard for building Type 214 and minimal upgrade would be required. He added that the Type 214 was 100 per cent German and there was no chance of embargo on it in any case.

This is what confused me...he mentioned the words EMBARGO and MINIMAL UPGRATE IN KARACHI....and hey I cant fly a 1000kms for a party..u know that and wisely invited me...anyways cheers! drink well :tup:

Thx Sathish bahi we will send the drinks to you boss :cheers: :smokin:

Regards

I presume the are just entering the deal for second line of subs or else we It would have won hands down as we already operate the HDW 212...Foxtrot class I think.

I presume the are just entering the deal for second line of subs or else we It would have won hands down as we already operate the HDW 212...Foxtrot class I think.

No you operate the Type 209. The ex Navy Chief said that when deciding on the Scorpene, the Type 214 was also evaluated but since the 214 can only fire US / French missiles ( the french refused to supply that) so the scorpene was selected.

Regards

64 months is a long time! in next 4 years. IN will have 2 new type subs while PN will be stuck with 3 odd agousta-90B the 70 is a subjunk.
i thought the plan was for 4 u-boats? could it be like the PN wants 1 sub build in HDW while the other 3 will be build later in pakistan?

How long do you think it would take IN to operationalize and learn to employ their new subs? 64 months is not a long time as significant ToT is involved here.

Secondly, why are Agosta-90Bs "odd"? Any reasoning, thought behind this statement? We have consistency of platform, we have consistency of capabilities and weapons so not sure why they are odd as such?

Also why is the Agosta-70 junk? It is still a pretty solid platform boasting sub-surface Harpoon AShM capability. While its aging, it is still a very potent capability in the Indo-Pak context.

I think your assessment is rather harsh.

No you operate the Type 209. The ex Navy Chief said that when deciding on the Scorpene, the Type 214 was also evaluated but since the 214 can only fire US / French missiles ( the french refused to supply that) so the scorpene was selected.

Regards

I am sorry....pure negligence on my side....:hitwall:

Regards

Depends on what was offered to India vs Pakistan. While both Navies see each other as a threat, they operate in slightly different ways. While one platform may not meet all of the requirements of one, it may of the other. I am sure India's rejection does not mean that a platform in use with the German, Turkish, Korean and Greek navies is a non-option for others. For Pakistan, there are very many other considerations with this system as well.

It will fire Harpoon AShM but the launchers are large enough to accommodate other options as well.

Back
Top Bottom