What's new

Pakistan Tourism: Information Desk

Hmm, so perhaps you should wait for a couple of years and take them to Wah gardens. The fish ponds there are fascinating for the kids but i am not is a 4 year old will enjoy it that much, :)

515210d1186956060-trip-mughal-garden-wah-oodbalow-dsc00074_wt1_pakwheels-com-.jpg

The ponds are so FULL of fish you can just see hundreds of them swimming around. Put some bread on your hand and they will feed from your hand. It is usually fun as far as the kids are concerned. :)

If the ponds are deep then its a problem, because my four year one at the first sight of water wants to go into it (though we have to bear with his cries when he is told to take a bath). He kept asking me "Pani may jain, pani may jain" at side of Kunhar when others were getting ready for rafting. But still I would take them there to Wagah gardens someday they need to see as much Pakistan as they can at their father's cost :D.

If the ponds are deep then its a problem, because my four year one at the first sight of water wants to go into it (though we have to bear with his cries when he is told to take a bath). He kept asking me "Pani may jain, pani may jain" at side of Kunhar when others were getting ready for rafting. But still I would take them there to Wagah gardens someday they need to see as much Pakistan as they can at their father's cost :D.
Well the pond i showed in post above is about 5 foot deep however the stream to this pond is just a foot deep or so and again full with fish. However, Swimming is not allowed there. Still there are waterways connecting the ponds which are perfect for kids like yours :lol: i mean it is clear water and just a foot or so deep so not risky at all. The gardens are good, the structures are filthy, the weather in here is usually great.

Oh and it is not Wagha gardens, it is WAH gardens and it is some 20 minutes drive from Taxila.

Oh and it is not Wagha gardens, it is WAH gardens and it is some 20 minutes drive from Taxila.

Sorry my bad. :) I hope locals there can point us in the right direction if asked?

Sorry my bad. :) I hope locals there can point us in the right direction if asked?
Easily, you just keep going on the GT road, go past Taxila Chowk, drive for about 20 min (you will corss the link road Jhan Bahatar Motorway interchange on you left side, Wah model town on your right, then there will be the Gate 3 barrier of Wah Cantt which is a bit difficult to spot on your right, go past all of these things) After that Wah Cantt Barrier (you can ask someone for that) you will find the a small road on your right. Take that and just keep driving on it for about 5 min and you will end up at the gate of Wah Gardens. :)
Map 3.jpg

Easily, you just keep going on the GT road, go past Taxila Chowk, drive for about 20 min (you will corss the link road Jhan Bahatar Motorway interchange on you left side, Wah model town on your right, then there will be the Gate 3 barrier of Wah Cantt which is a bit difficult to spot on your right, go past all of these things) After that Wah Cantt Barrier (you can ask someone for that) you will find the a small road on your right. Take that and just keep driving on it for about 5 min and you will end up at the gate of Wah Gardens. :)
View attachment 321970

• Taxila Museum
  • Sirkap
  • Dharmarajika
  • Jaulian
  • Dam and lake and
  • Wah Gardens
The list of must see in Taxila. Should I consider this list exhaustive?

• Taxila Museum
  • Sirkap
  • Dharmarajika
  • Jaulian
  • Dam and lake and
  • Wah Gardens
The list of must see in Taxila. Should I consider this list exhaustive?
You SHOULD!

This is no way a single day trip. If you ask me i will recommend you to cover this on two separate occasions:

Considering the weather these day, plan a trip for Wah Gardens for this weekend (or whichever you are planning for) You can leave Pindi after lunch. Get here in an hour and a half or so, spend the evening and that is it. You can always try to have dinner in some good restaurants in the area. Shenwaris (in Taxila CHowk) make some exquisite Karahi and Namkeen ghosht or you can opt for more traditional dinning experience in in Wah Continental etc.

Museum, Sirkap and the Dharmarajika stupa is a 3 hours activity at best so i am not sure if that this alone is wroth the traveling from Pindi. I would suggest that you leave in morning and choose to visit Sirkap first (before it get too hot and keep praying for a cloudy day, you might get one). Then go to Museum (now you are actually traveling back towards the GT road that you came from) and finally to the stupa. You can do all this by around 2 pm. Bring along a food basket and have your lunch or go to Wah Cantt and have lunch in Aslam market. It will be OK. If you manage to get inside the cantt the directions are simple enough. This is just that one main road you will be traveling on and the Aslam market will come on your right hand side. After lunch you can keep traveling on the same road forward till you reach that Barrier 3, get out on to the GT road travel for a kilometer and you are at that diversion for Wah Gardens. :) If you are not able to get inside Wah then select any restaurant on you left side, these are the Shenwari Hotels and food tastes good. After that you can move to Wah Gardens via the same GT Road. Spend the afternoon and evening there (your kids can enjoy the water), On your way back you can go inside Wah Cantt (it will be easier to do so from barrier 3, don't ask me why) and go to Basti market for some shopping. Stop at Aslam Market in Wah or go to the same Shenwari Restaurants in Taxila for dinner and you will be back by 9-10 pm. (or you can chose to just travel back after Wah Gardens)

Khanpur and Julian are for another trip and Khanpur, specially with boating etc will keep you occupied for the whole day. Also plan that for later part of September. If i was you, i would make the first trip now and for second i would get some family or family friends on-board and plan that Bar B Q (evening) at Khanpur for late September/October. Preferably September. That will be a good experience.

I did enjoyed this but never in this spot. For us the Spillway was much easier to get to and since we did it like almost every week so never bothered going all the distance for this end. Yes, it sure is fun. I am not sure about this spot but at the spillway the extra thing was the two huge boulders underneath the water and you have to land between them which was about 4-5m area. Thankfully we never had any accident at all.

As for the bigger fixes, sure i am not comparing Khanpur to Lulusar lake :P It is just this is something in your backyard, that counts for something. :)

Ohoho......I envy you.

Occupational hazard? What line of work are you in bro? Again, you may chose to share the details in private but i am quite interested in it now. :)

Ah na na, I'm just a desk jockey. Meant it figuratively.

Lolz,
I said September (after monsoon) for the same reason. Plus the added advantage in September is that the lake is full. In April (specially if you get a dry winter) usually the water levels are low.

Ah yes, didn't think of that. Makes sense.

My favourite time for the whole stretch from Hassanabdal till Dassu is April-may. All these places become something else with the lush green early spring brush. Plus the temps are amazing as well.

Ohoho......I envy you.

Ah na na, I'm just a desk jockey. Meant it figuratively.
Well you are a bit too well informed about all those places for a desk jockey :P I travel nut i see!! Plus i assume you are from the northern areas so may be that is the reason for all that "awara gardi" which actually comes as routine family visits, lucky you if this is the case.

Ah yes, didn't think of that. Makes sense.
Yup!

My favourite time for the whole stretch from Hassanabdal till Dassu is April-may. All these places become something else with the lush green early spring brush. Plus the temps are amazing as well.
Agreed with this. Naran route is better for June to Mid July as well in addition to the months you mentioned. The KKH route is a bit too hot in June-July. After that, the rainy season starts to create problems. I think the best time to visit those areas will be mid April to mid July (now with Ramzan covering the June July section it is becoming more difficult to plan those trips :( , I missed out on one this year for exactly this reason, better plan something for May next year. :) )

Well you are a bit too well informed about all those places for a desk jockey :P I travel nut i see!! Plus i assume you are from the northern areas so may be that is the reason for all that "awara gardi" which actually comes as routine family visits, lucky you if this is the case.

Haha, you guessed right but I'm not from the North, well ethnically my family's pure ethnic Kashmiris but from Srinagar, no family up north this side of the LOC. I was just lucky to be born to a couple of absolute travel junkies from Lahore. The love affair with the mountains was only natural and then was compounded manifolds with the family trips. This absolute fasination grew along with myself and I just had to see what the world looked like from those monstrous peaks and thus I became an amateur mountaineer. Hence the 'awara gardi' :p

Agreed with this. Naran route is better for June to Mid July as well in addition to the months you mentioned. The KKH route is a bit too hot in June-July. After that, the rainy season starts to create problems. I think the best time to visit those areas will be mid April to mid July (now with Ramzan covering the June July section it is becoming more difficult to plan those trips :( , I missed out on one this year for exactly this reason, better plan something for May next year. :) )

You know what, if I were to pick only one season in a year to go North I'd always choose the winters. There is an indescribable aura in the air then. Feels as if from a fairy tale. I usually don't advise this to many because let's face it, most of our people aren't exactly very comfortable in the cold. I on the other hand am called the 'polar animal' by my friends, only in Urdu and less flatteringly.

ps: Sorry for the late reply, was out of town.

You know what, if I were to pick only one season in a year to go North I'd always choose the winters. There is an indescribable aura in the air then. Feels as if from a fairy tale. I usually don't advise this to many because let's face it, most of our people aren't exactly very comfortable in the cold. I on the other hand am called the 'polar animal' by my friends, only in Urdu and less flatteringly.

ps: Sorry for the late reply, was out of town.
Well that makes two of us on personal choice level. However i do not advise that either as the traveling is a bit harder, approach to some points may need some work up but otherwise, those area are made to be seen in winter,, that is when they are being what "they are meant to be" :)

@User just remembered, what happened with that tour of yours sir?
Were not able to go yet or didn't liked the places? :D

@User just remembered, what happened with that tour of yours sir?
Were not able to go yet or didn't liked the places? :D

Sir those places are still in to do list :( (written on a post it :D) ...................... I don't get two days weekend off and then with family you always have these markets to visit specially before Eid (in aurato ko ALLAH akal day 15 minute ki shopping 4 gantay tak chalti hay). Soon INSHALLAH soon :D

Sir those places are still in to do list :( (written on a post it :D) ...................... I don't get two days weekend off and then with family you always have these markets to visit specially before Eid (in aurato ko ALLAH akal day 15 minute ki shopping 4 gantay tak chalti hay). Soon INSHALLAH soon :D
Lolz!!
Chloo shukar ha i am not tied up like this yet :P
Let us know when you do visit. I hope it turns out to be a nice experience for you and your family janab! :)

Lolz!!
Chloo shukar ha i am not tied up like this yet :P
Let us know when you do visit. I hope it turns out to be a nice experience for you and your family janab! :)

INSHALLAH I will share the experience, hopefully everyone would enjoy and if possible I will share the pics as well (cellphone say he lo ga no hi fi tech) :lol:.

INSHALLAH I will share the experience, hopefully everyone would enjoy and if possible I will share the pics as well (cellphone say he lo ga no hi fi tech) :lol:.
Lolz!!
That will do just fine sir!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom