What's new

PAF successfully test-fires indigenously developed long-range smart weapon from JF-17 Thunder

I'd like to think 'long-range' or 'extended-range' essentially means 'stand-off range'. However, you don't need to be at 300 km to achieve 'stand-off', just enough to let you hit an enemy target from safety. That can mean 60 km, 120 km, 280 km, 350 km, 550 km, 1,500 km, etc.

Besides that, there are several parts at play:

1. The munition has a gliding mechanism (a wing and tail kit), but we already have the REK/Takbir, so why hide this munition? Hence the idea that it's something new and not just REK/Takbir.

2. Based on what others said above, this munition may be able to penetrate hardened/reinforced targets, which indicates that it might be more than just a REK'D Mark 80-series dumb bomb.

2A: But if we recall the Small Diameter Bomb, GBU-37, and the like, then penetration warheads are not the same as dumb bombs, they're designed differently.
So based on the above, did AWC (?) make a guided, stand-off range penetration bomb?

Good question mate. There is definitely something very odd about this test. We can only make educated speculations at this stage. But I reckon, the test was done to send message not only to India but to a few others as well.

Good question mate. There is definitely something very odd about this test. We can only make educated speculations at this stage. But I reckon, the test was done to send message not only to India but to a few others as well.
The beauty of this whole episode is they're all - apparently not to be found inside one basket - are all like "all for one, one for all" vis-à-vis Pak!!!! And, it's they vs THE ONE and ONLY ONE....

What were those Clever Mr. Indians were thinking when they were being turned into a sacrificial lamb????

Hey Oscar, yes agreed there is no way a glide bomb can do this range. However, since the PAF deliberately blackened the weapon in their release video, and then specifically used the words 'Long Range', people are speculating that it was not a glide bomb but a hybrid, and also the massive explosion was not your usual glide bomb exploding.

I was saying above that ASSUMING that this is a new weapon with a long range, then the only way to achieve it by the use of jet engine tailkit.
Even with a jet tailkit the max you get is 100km. The Aasm hammer does 130km but is considerably larger

I'd like to think 'long-range' or 'extended-range' essentially means 'stand-off range'. However, you don't need to be at 300 km to achieve 'stand-off', just enough to let you hit an enemy target from safety. That can mean 60 km, 120 km, 280 km, 350 km, 550 km, 1,500 km, etc.

1. The munition has a gliding mechanism (a wing and tail kit), but we already have the REK/Takbir, so why hide this munition? Hence the idea that it's something new and not just REK/Takbir.

2. Based on what others said above, this munition may be able to penetrate hardened/reinforced targets, which indicates that it might be more than just a REK'D Mark 80-series dumb bomb.

2A: But if we recall the Small Diameter Bomb, GBU-37, and the like, then penetration warheads are not the same as dumb bombs, they're designed differently.
So based on the above, did AWC (?) make a guided, stand-off range penetration bomb?

How did you deduce the 'gliding mechanism'?

Even with a jet tailkit the max you get is 100km. The Aasm hammer does 130km but is considerably larger

Thanks Oscar. I read an article by Flight Global which I am listing below. It has to do with extending the range of conventional JDAM by 10 times.

Boeing makes progress developing extended-range JDAM
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...ogress-developing-extended-range-jdam-372885/

Boeing is making progress on developing an extended range version of the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), company officials say.

The weapons recently completed initial wind-tunnel tests, says Kerry Bush, Boeing's JDAM programme manager. It will enter into preliminary design review this July.

"We expect to be in production with extended range in the 2014-2015 timeframe," he says.

The initial extended range variant is a 500lbs-class weapon, Bush says.

But the weapon is not a US Department of Defense programme, rather it is being co-developed with a US ally. Boeing is not able to disclose which nation is purchasing the weapon, but Australia has dabbled in designing such a JDAM wing-kit as back as in 2006.

Boeing says the addition of the wing-kit gives the weapon three times the range of a normal JDAM. Future developments might include a powered variant, Bush says. A powered version could have 10 times the range of a conventional JDAM.

JDAM is 15km, JDAM ER is 45 km
So ten times is 150km.. whats the figure I put? ~100km right?

Look at @JamD's post, there are clearly wings attached to the munition similar to the REK's glide wings.

This is the image of Pluto and Charon when New Horizons was three months away

upload_2019-3-15_23-26-54.png

This is up close

upload_2019-3-15_23-28-1.png

You cannot determine details from blurry, pixelated images, and any attempts to do so will result in misinformation.

Exploded above the surface at specific height...... Tell much being smart weapon that we have been hearing a lot from rival & unlimited boasting stories that how it works. Seems to be above comparison with the weapon India has at the moment. :-)

Contrary to what many others on the thread are saying, this video looks like a smaller version of this:

So, basically, a fuel air bomb that can be carried by the Thunder. The weapon in the video I have posted is also guided by GPS and gyros, so could be labeled as 'smart bomb'. Its reported flight distance is 3 nautical miles. Given the trajectory, this is the vertical distance. So we are looking at weapons release around 18000ft. The Thunder seems to be flying somewhere between 18000ft - 30000ft. The 'extended range' maybe a combined achievement of Thunder and weapon.

We have BLU 109. This seems like a local development akin to BLU 111, and mated with Takbir.

We need SDB type bombs (if we don't have any). So that JF-17s can be loaded with more bombs to target each hanger separately. This way we can have them loaded on up to 4 hard points with each carrying two SDBs along with a centerline fuel tank and two WVR missiles.

Only thing i know is that this is not a product of AWC... Rest i dont know

Back
Top Bottom