What's new

Featured PAF Center of Artificial Intelligence and Computing

Inaugurated by ACM.

Thoughts and ideas? I believe it is part of project AZM primarily.

If it's part of the AZM family, then I believe that we are very late here.

AI and Machine Learning are around for more than a decade now and that too in commercial use.

But still its good to see that the need of AI has been realized and a practical step has been taken.

Last edited:
Inaugurated by ACM.

Thoughts and ideas? I believe it is part of project AZM primarily.
Finally. An excellent venture. No not exactly, AZM started earlier and might come in parallel once it matures. I was offered a position at PAC Kamra a few years ago related to aerodynamic design optimisation. AZM was still very much in the early stages and R&D is still being performed in addition to what they have.

AI and Machine Learning are around for more than a decade now and that too in commercial use.

But still its good to see that the need of AI has been realized and a practical step has been taken.

You cant expect Pakistan to compete with multi trillion dollar economies.

Also, in other countries, such research is usually conducted by research institutions, not militaries.

So kudos to PAF for trying, and better late than never.

Also, in other countries, such research is usually conducted by research institutions, not militaries.

Jointly between militaries and other institutions. Like USAF as an example. The Air Force Material Command works jointly with various defence contractors. You'd see civilians and military personnel flying F-16s, F-35s, F-15s , F-22s. and numerous other projects. Still an excellent step for PAF.

We love to ban things initially or call them haram and later realize our stupidity. Few years ago youtube was haram now every molana is using them and making money. Same thing today, games and esports and tiktok and bitcoin is being threatened with bans. A decade or 2 later when new gen grows up they will have face-palm moments on the stupidity of current authorities.

Anyways good to see military feeling the importance on this very imp tech

I think this a step in the right direction. We may not be perfect and make all the right decisions all the time but it does some there's enough people with their head screwed on right. This is a crucial area for R&D. I am more excited about the computing part than the AI part. You need computing clusters to run FEM codes and FDC sims and I suppose PAF has realized this (it was about time they did). That being said many interesting applications for AI, but not in the way most people think (read autonomous fighter jets).

Jointly between militaries and other institutions. Like USAF as an example. The Air Force Material Command works jointly with various defence contractors. You'd see civilians and military personnel flying F-16s, F-35s, F-15s , F-22s. and numerous other projects. Still an excellent step for PAF.
To add to that, in the US the military has very large setups for R&D - namely ONR and AFRL. It's just that the private sector is larger here. In contrast, in Pakistan our military does all the R&D but it is tiny compared to even ONR and AFRL, let alone the private US defence sector.

On a related note, Pakistan needs to seriously work on a Defence Industry Policy that aims to streamline and promote private and semi-private investment in Pakistan's defence sector. We are a very huge market and also have great export potential. But for this we will need to view these things as defence+economics and not just super-secret-defence.

Back
Top Bottom