What's new

Oliver Hazard Class Frigate Acquisition by Pakistan

I wonder what our plans our regarding UAV helicopters.....

is there any possibility of integrating sea-launched version of the Babur missile, or will that be for the F-22P Chinese frigates

the Babur missile is pretty much double the length of an antiship missile like Harpoon or Exocet, larger diameter and therefore much heavier. If at all, very few could be carried on a frigate like the F22P or OHP. And these would be land-attack (IIRC there is no antiship version of Babur as yet). So, it really doesn't make much sense to put Babur onto frigates.

Last edited:
Nice to see our navy getting the toys it needs to secure our waters, what will be the role of these babies and what is their effectiveness?

Pakistan has requested a major refurbishing at a cost of $65 million.

The overhauling includes fitting of modern guns and other weapons.
:police:

FFG-8 firing missiles
tey r harpoons>?? :pop:

:undecided:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan has requested a major refurbishing at a cost of $65 million.

The overhauling includes fitting of modern guns and other weapons.
:police:

It doesn't need work on its guns: the 76mm naval compact gun and the Phalanx are modern (at best you might get a later block Phalanx). What it would need - possibly - is reinstallation of the Mk13 missile launcher arm forward of the bridge, so that it can once again fire Harpoon and Standar SM-1MR missiles. Also, it would need reinstallation of the STIR/CAS behind the main mast (needed for SM-1MR missile guidance). Interestingly, this particular OHP frigate has been involved in onboard trails of the MQ-8B Fire Scout unmanned air vehicle, which was used throughout 2008 to assist McInerney during its counter illicit trafficking deployment to Latin America. Wonder if she will retain this...

Pics: Frigate Photo Index FFG-8 USS McINERNEY

Last edited:
haaaaaa again the old second hand 80's battle ship for Pakistan....its better to develope our own except waisting resouces on these old mechines.

haaaaaa again the old second hand 80's battle ship for Pakistan....its better to develope our own except waisting resouces on these old mechines.

Ever wonder what new ship PN could get for just 65 million USD?

well isnt it a waste of money!!

theseplatform are way too old, the US are retiring them,
also there is no kind of missiles inmstalled on these junk ships,,
why the hell we are going for them, insted of spending on these we mayget two new frigates but they would be worth enough atleast!!

it is just disgusting to imagin a frigate with no missile system!

can anyone please help me out!!!

well isnt it a waste of money!!

theseplatform are way too old, the US are retiring them,
also there is no kind of missiles inmstalled on these junk ships,,
why the hell we are going for them, insted of spending on these we mayget two new frigates but they would be worth enough atleast!!

it is just disgusting to imagin a frigate with no missile system!

can anyone please help me out!!!

The US is retiring them for reasons of economy, not because these platforms are worn out (why else would Turkey bother to modernize its ex-US ships of this class). Sop, these are no junk ships. For starters, they are at least as good ASW platforms than the Type 21's the PN currently operates (2x Mark 32 Surface Vessel Torpedo Tubes for 12.75-inch / 324mm lightweight ASW torpedoes, SQS-56 sonar & SQR-19 Towed Array sonar, AN/SLQ-25 Nixie torpedo decoy, 2x ASW helicopter).

There are 2 easy remedies for the current lack of missile armament.
1. (assuming the Mk13 launcher is still mostly intact) reinstalling the launcher arm and the STIR illumination/guidance radar.
2. (assuming most control systems for Harpoon are still intact ) install 2x2 or 2x4 Harpoon deck launchers forward and a single 21-round RAM launcher on top of the remains of the Mk13

In both cases, very limited expenditure will yield a frigate likely to be aty least as good or better than the current Type 21.

The US is retiring them for reasons of economy, not because these platforms are worn out (why else would Turkey bother to modernize its ex-US ships of this class). Sop, these are no junk ships. For starters, they are at least as good ASW platforms than the Type 21's the PN currently operates (2x Mark 32 Surface Vessel Torpedo Tubes for 12.75-inch / 324mm lightweight ASW torpedoes, SQS-56 sonar & SQR-19 Towed Array sonar, AN/SLQ-25 Nixie torpedo decoy, 2x ASW helicopter).

There are 2 easy remedies for the current lack of missile armament.
1. (assuming the Mk13 launcher is still mostly intact) reinstalling the launcher arm and the STIR illumination/guidance radar.
2. (assuming most control systems for Harpoon are still intact ) install 2x2 or 2x4 Harpoon deck launchers forward and a single 21-round RAM launcher on top of the remains of the Mk13

In both cases, very limited expenditure will yield a frigate likely to be aty least as good or better than the current Type 21.

well dont you think there are way too many assumptions!!
what if there is no such system intact as said by the reports! i think it will be very different to get hands on something good enough to meet the current challenges without spending lots of money!

for me navy is about quality not quantity, we must have gone for some heavier platform, having VLS and supprting the naval cruise missile meant for land attack or anti-surface ships! though this ship may be good for ASW but what about missile and air threats!??

again personally i think that we must have gone for state of the art ship even if we managed to get two or three of those it would have been good enough considering the for F22 P fleet! chines or turkey would have been the best option!
anyways it is my opinion and members ma disagree with we,
however i will look forword for your response!

regards!

well dont you think there are way too many assumptions!!
what if there is no such system intact as said by the reports! i think it will be very different to get hands on something good enough to meet the current challenges without spending lots of money!

for me navy is about quality not quantity, we must have gone for some heavier platform, having VLS and supprting the naval cruise missile meant for land attack or anti-surface ships! though this ship may be good for ASW but what about missile and air threats!??

again personally i think that we must have gone for state of the art ship even if we managed to get two or three of those it would have been good enough considering the for F22 P fleet! chines or turkey would have been the best option!
anyways it is my opinion and members ma disagree with we,
however i will look forword for your response!

regards!

The assumptions aren't many and they are quite reasonable. If the Mk13 is not mostly intact, then install a RAM launcher or - better yet- a single Mk41 VLU for 32 ESSM. Then add decklaunchers for 2x4 Harpoon. If the controlsystem for Harpoon has been removed with the Mk13, then it or a new one can be reinstalled.

The assumptions aren't many and they are quite reasonable. If the Mk13 is not mostly intact, then install a RAM launcher or - better yet- a single Mk41 VLU for 32 ESSM. Then add decklaunchers for 2x4 Harpoon. If the controlsystem for Harpoon has been removed with the Mk13, then it or a new one can be reinstalled.

dear not out of offense to your post, but dont you think that installing these two many equipment to a ship will cost us alot!
we would have paid for three floating pltforms which are now to be converted into a frigate!!

we have to:
install ship to air missile!
anti missile threat guns like the phalnax
high tech radar as it will be having an obselete one
anti-ship missile
a fire and control system
threat warning system...

and the list goes on!!

these weapon less ships could only have been fesible if gifted or donaated to PN and we only had to spent on its weapon system, then we could have selected to spend half the amount or more of a new frigate to buy latest equipment and could have installed it on to these boat at karach ship yard!
for me it was the only point in favour of this deal!

i want to repeat that we could have opted for a latest frigate from turkey or china, in lesser amont, three or four rather ten buying huge lots of equipment for theses six ships!!

can any senior member come to our help and tell hwhat is going on!!:tsk:

Regards!

dear not out of offense to your post, but dont you think that installing these two many equipment to a ship will cost us alot!
we would have paid for three floating pltforms which are now to be converted into a frigate!!

we have to:
install ship to air missile!
anti missile threat guns like the phalnax
high tech radar as it will be having an obselete one
anti-ship missile
a fire and control system
threat warning system...

and the list goes on!!

these weapon less ships could only have been fesible if gifted or donaated to PN and we only had to spent on its weapon system, then we could have selected to spend half the amount or more of a new frigate to buy latest equipment and could have installed it on to these boat at karach ship yard!
for me it was the only point in favour of this deal!

i want to repeat that we could have opted for a latest frigate from turkey or china, in lesser amont, three or four rather ten buying huge lots of equipment for theses six ships!!

can any senior member come to our help and tell hwhat is going on!!:tsk:

Regards!
There is no nice way of putting it: you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about here!
- OHP is equipped standard with Phalanx CIWS as well as a full EW/ESM/ECM suite, communications suite, sonar suite, radar suite etc
- It's main radars are not obsolete.
- OHPs have always had Harpoon, just that they are launched from the Mk13 instead of racks on deck (it therefore suffices, in case of no Mk13 launcher, to place racks on deck > cheap). No additional firecontrols are needed (WM-25 dome was never removed. At worse, a console in the CIC was removed: this can easily be reinstalled > cheap)
- with USN no longer using Standard SM1MR, the Mk13 launcher arm was removed: it can easily be reinstalled > cheap. Likewise for the STIR antenna in the rear (for use with Standard only).

Should the above not be true (i.e. difficult te reinstate Mk13 use and use of Harpoon and SM1) then placing a RAM launcher + deckracks for Harpoon is CHEAP. A little more expensive is installing the Mk41+32ESSM. One could then revert to old set up with STIR (cheapest) or modernize SAM firecontrol as in Australian ships (a bit more costly). Which give very good capabilities

In all, whichever way, it is a lot of value for relatively litte money.

bro the report i went throuhg statsed that almost all of EW suite is removed and the ship is just the structure and the basic radar!
phalnax is also gone, gone are anti-ship and anti-air missile system (both launch and control)!!

that why i was sticking to my point!

if you can provide with some link of what you say it will surely be helpfull!!

your report perhaps say that nothing but the launch system of missil is removed while mine says that every thing other than a basic radar and naval guns is gone!

anyways to end it, i request you for source of your info so that all of us can get cleared!!

regards!

bro the report i went throuhg statsed that almost all of EW suite is removed and the ship is just the structure and the basic radar!
phalnax is also gone, gone are anti-ship and anti-air missile system (both launch and control)!!

that why i was sticking to my point!

if you can provide with some link of what you say it will surely be helpfull!!

your report perhaps say that nothing but the launch system of missil is removed while mine says that every thing other than a basic radar and naval guns is gone!

anyways to end it, i request you for source of your info so that all of us can get cleared!!

regards!

This is a picture of McInerney in December of 2008 in Mayport FL i.e. just 4 months ago.

Clearly visible are its main radar air search radar (AN/SPS-49), its surface search radar (AN/SPS-55), and the Signaal/Thales WM-25 radar dome associate with the Mk92 Fire Control System. Also visible (underneath serial number on the tail of the MQ-8B Fire Scout unmanned air vehicle) is the AN/SLQ-32 Electronics Warfare System. Also visible (below the orange and blue flag) is the Mk 75 76mm/62 caliber rapid firing gun and a satcom.

Source: Frigate Photo Index FFG-8 USS McINERNEY

If you look at other pics from this official source, it is clear that Mk13 launcher arm and STIR were removed sometime between 14 July 2003 and 8 June 2004. No items were removed for the remainder of her service life (i.e. at least the 4.5 years throughout 2008, as she has not yet decommissioned): she is active in service as of 2009.

Now, care to come foreward with and elaborate on you sources i.e. what report?

Do a search on McInerney and/or FFG on Navy News Service - Eye on the Fleet

September 14, 2008
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/080914-N-8310C-004.jpg
October 5, 2008
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/081005-N-1522S-006.jpg
December 10, 2008
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/081210-N-5677B-014.jpg
http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/081210-N-5677B-002.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom