What's new

News Flash: JFT carries out a successful WS-13 Flight test.

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Good news everyone WS-13 is being Flight tested :pakistan::china:

China and Pakistan Push Chengdu JF-17 Fighter for Export

By: Chris Pocock
August 6, 2010
Military Aircraft, Defense

35968_1508246299197_1025517435_1509144_3236834_n.jpg

In the same week that the Chengdu JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft made its international debut at the Farnborough airshow, the product of this co-development between China and Pakistan was offered to Indonesia. The Pakistan Defence Minister signed a defense cooperation agreement with his Indonesian counterpart in Jakarta.

The list of countries that the Sino-Pakistan joint venture is targeting for sales is expanding fast: it reportedly also includes Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Iran, Nigeria, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Turkey, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

At Farnborough, joint-venture partners Catic and PAC described the JF-17 as a multi-role light fighter with an “outstanding performance-to-cost ratio.” The two aircraft on display were ferried to Farnborough but did not fly during the show, and officials were reluctant to allow journalists into the cockpit to view the three multifunction displays plus head-up display, HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick) and other avionics. The aircraft were shown with PL-5II IR-guided air-to-air missiles on wingtip rails and ferry tanks on the centerline and inner wing stations, leaving the outer wing stations unloaded. Mockups of five Chinese stores were displayed next to the aircraft: a C802A anti-ship missile; an SD-10A active radar-guided air-to-air missile; an LS-6 glide bomb; a WMD-7 targeting pod; and a KG300G electronic warfare pod.

Program officials said that a development JF-17 is now flying in China with a Chinese-developed engine, presumably the WS-13 Taishan. All other JF-17s are powered by the Russian-supplied RD-93 turbofan. On the eve of Farnborough, a Russian newspaper reported the opposition of Sukhoi and MiG director-general Mikhail Pogosian to a further sale of RD-93s to China because the JF-17 is competing with the MiG-29 for export sales. At the show, however, Russian officials, including Pogosian, played down this concern.

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/china-and-pakistan-push-chengdu-jf-17-fighter-for-export-25788/

Bye bye RD-93 & Russkis :partay:

Regards::tup:

Last edited:
Another story of success between All weather frnds.. Any test result data released of ws -13 perfomence with jft?

If true........ news is good, as it sounds... we should thank Russinas and with all honesty appreciate RD-93 as a good product.
RD-93 fall victim to the mistrust in dependence on foreing suppliers.
Congrats to both Pakistan and China on the feast.

Another story of success between All weather frnds.. Any test result data released of ws -13 perfomence with jft?

We need to wait , though i am digging into it but again everything remains under wraps until its done - a SinoPak way of doing thing:D

Just because the WS-13 was flight tested doesn't mean it will enter production any time soon. There are certain engines that took decades to develope.

Russki RD-93 isn't bad neither we wanted to replace it - its Indian propaganda which tried to ban the engine for 3 times.

There are great financial gains for Russia too in this program but as long as we as buyers remain uncertain , we would need our own Engine.

It has flight tested which means that the development is going steady which is a good indicator.

BTW tell me in PM how are fires on your side - you must be wearing a gas mask- & must be looking sick bro:lol:

Only, if he is in Moscow!
Smoke will only go away if the fires are no more and i don't know how they can do it underground!!!
It is also fog mixed with smoke.... sounds horrible..
I think soon flights will be suspended or perhaps they are already!!

Russki RD-93 isn't bad neither we wanted to replace it - its Indian propaganda which tried to ban the engine for 3 times.

There are great financial gains for Russia too in this program but as long as we as buyers remain uncertain , we would need our own Engine.

It has flight tested which means that the development is going steady which is a good indicator.

BTW tell me in PM how are fires on your side - you must be wearing a gas mask- & must be looking sick bro:lol:

Well i see the importance and benifits in the WS-13 program but i still had to point out that the engine likely needs more time before it's ready. We have to remember that the WS-10 made a test flight in 2002 but even as recently as 2009 there was reports of problems, perhaps the WS-13 program is doing better but based on other engine programs, including ones outside of China it is too early to celebrate a testflight.

Last edited:
I personally think we should buy more RD-93 and configure them like we have been. Oh you guys thought we were flying these engines with dry specs? :lol: RD-93 has proven to be a little beast and a perfect fit for this fighter. ;)

Honestly, Russians and Chinese keep providing us the hardware, in 8 years time you will see 300+ Thunders. It is great that the Chinese are testing their WS-13. But in no way does this mean that the JF-17 program was dependent or hinged upon this development. It will help Pakistan but it will do more in terms of swaying China to adopt this fighter.

Hi, the WS-13 engine is based on the RD-93 engine. Is it possible that reverse engineering this engine cut down some of its development time? Thanks!

Well i see the importance and benifits in the WS-13 program but i still had to point out that the engine likely needs more time before it's ready. We have to remember that the WS-10 made a test flight in 2002 but even as recently as 2009 there was reports of problems, perhaps the WS-13 program is doing better but based on other engine programs, including ones outside of China it is too early to celebrate a testflight.

generally,it will take 15-20 years to develope an engine,WS-10A project was officially approved in 1996,made the first test flight in 2006

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom