What's new

Many countries express interest in JF-17 Thunder

Pakistan was supposed to raise the third JF-17 Thunder squadron in March 2013. It's now approaching June 2013. What's the holdup? Has the production halted, slowed down?

... but no one has bought it yet.

How is Pakistan going to manufacture and deliver the aircrafts to it's customers on time when there's an energy crises in the country?

No energy crisis for PAC

Pakistan was supposed to raise the third JF-17 Thunder squadron in March 2013. It's now approaching June 2013. What's the holdup? Has the production halted, slowed down?

I think they merged the third with the first two for the time being. Seniors can correct me if I am wrong.

From the source:

That's the system cost, now a new Mig 29SMT for the air force and with less customisations might come around $35 millions, which is still roughly $10 to 15 millions more expensive than a JF 17 for exports might be. Add the higher operational costs and a lot countries that searchers for cheap 4th gen multi role fighter will opt for the JFT. It's actually the perfect successor of the Mig 21, single engine, cost-effective interceptor and comes in a time where not much similar oppnents are available. The main opponent might be of the same origin, with the J10, similar cost as the Mig 29, but cheaper to operate and more capable by design, which puts it between JFT and the Mig in a cost vs capability comparison.
The west have mainly more expensive, but also more capable fighters to offer. Most of them not available, or affordable for African countries, which again should increase the chances for Chinese fighters. But at the end, most of this deals are decided by politics, which can turn everything again.

well, don't debate me on this issue, I did not come up with this figure, you need to take the argument to the writer of the article I quote, they get the base price figured out, I am merely quoting what they say. I have no interest on Mig-29 what so ever....

No energy crisis for PAC

I think they merged the third with the first two for the time being. Seniors can correct me if I am wrong.

How do you merge a new squardron with the existing two squadrons. Did Pakistan loose many JF 17 that we are not aware of?

They can be as interested as they want, it won't matter until someone actually buys the damn thing. :coffee:

Well, if the deal with Sri Lanka actually goes through, sales may pick up. The fighter has nowhere to go but up, simply because it can't go below zero sales, which is where it is at right now.

There have been rumors that Pakistan is trying to get Russia to directly sell the engines to Pakistan, instead of through China. Though, if the Chinese WS engine comes through by 2014, the RD-93 engine may not even be needed

This is not possible at all coz Russia never want to upset Chinese for PAKISTAN ...Russian cannot deal with PAKISTAN on the cost of CHINA and INDIA....

engine......engine......engine...

No engine...

Until the day there is a chinese engine in jf.17-
These will remain enquiries only.

hmm...Very true... Just take an example of Bangladesh ...They went for outdated J-7 , but they did not think about JF-17.

This is not possible at all coz Russia never want to upset Chinese for PAKISTAN ...Russian cannot deal with PAKISTAN on the cost of CHINA and INDIA....

China is building it's own engines and plans on moving the entire production line for the JF-17 to Pakistan as was agreed upon. The Russians blocked the transfer of engines before to China , because of Indian fears that the engines would go to Pakistan (and they did), later on, Russia let the engines through and has rebutted Indian officials on the sale.

With the warming up of relations, the recent and very first visit by the Russian Air Chief to Pakistan may be a sign that Russia and Pakistan are in negotiations of transferring the engine directly to Pakistan. At this point, Russia is still upset about India, as India decided to buy the Rafale instead of Russian fighters like India traditionally did in the past.

If Pakistan and India's relations improve in the coming years, and they're very likely to improve under Nawas Sharif, it may give Russia and Pakistan more breathing room to negotiate further and agree to the transfer without upsetting India too much anyways.

hmm...Very true... Just take an example of Bangladesh ...They went for outdated J-7 , but they did not think about JF-17.

According to some BD members, this may have more to do with China not wanting to upset Pakistan, rather than BD actually being interested in the J-7 rather than JF-17. They said that Pakistan views BD through India-centric lenses. As BD and India are close, there were fears that India may actually be allowed to look at the JF-17s and learn it's secrets.

How true this is, we don't really know. I do think that BD has no need for the JF-17, which is why it showed no interest, but I also think that it has little to do with the engines and more to do with affordability.

China is building it's own engines and plans on moving the entire production line for the JF-17 to Pakistan as was agreed upon. The Russians blocked the transfer of engines before to China , because of Indian fears that the engines would go to Pakistan (and they did), later on, Russia let the engines through and has rebutted Indian officials on the sale.

With the warming up of relations, the recent and very first visit by the Russian Air Chief to Pakistan may be a sign that Russia and Pakistan are in negotiations of transferring the engine directly to Pakistan. At this point, Russia is still upset about India, as India decided to buy the Rafale instead of Russian fighters like India traditionally did in the past.

If Pakistan and India's relations improve in the coming years, and they're very likely to improve under Nawas Sharif, it may give Russia and Pakistan more breathing room to negotiate further and agree to the transfer without upsetting India too much anyways.

According to some BD members, this may have more to do with China not wanting to upset Pakistan, rather than BD actually being interested in the J-7 rather than JF-17. They said that Pakistan views BD through India-centric lenses. As BD and India are close, there were fears that India may actually be allowed to look at the JF-17s and learn it's secrets.

How true this is, we don't really know. I do think that BD has no need for the JF-17, which is why it showed no interest, but I also think that it has little to do with the engines and more to do with affordability.

First thing you need to understand that …there are only 4 countries in the world that is making engine, i.e. UK, USA, RUSSIA and FRANCE. … In any circumstance they are not going to give this secret to anyone…Example: You might have seen that we INDIANS are struggling to make engine, even we have very good relationship with RUSSIA and FRANCE …. In short they have Monopoly in this world.

Mark my word INDIA and PAKISTAN relation will never improve…coz in general any country owns Army, but in case of PAKISTAN, Army owns country…. And PAKISTAN Army never wants good relationship between INDIA and PAKISTAN…Whatever government will come in PAKISTAN, it will work like a Puppet of Army.

I don’t want to comment much on JF-17, as I think this is a metal body compromised aircraft.

I think our Parkistan friends do not need to worry about export of JF-17. As I know, the production capacity for both Parkistan and China are not sufficient to fullfill PAF's need for at least in the near 5 years. So any order agreed on in 5 years is OK. Moreover, in 5 years, the engine problem will be solved definitely.
Moreover, according to news from the factory, the quantity for WS-10A's production/year has increased twice for last year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom