What's new

Karachi vs Lahore food debate,

From Kharian so only GT road. We were thinking about taking M2 from Kala shah kaku to reach our destiny but decided against it because we wanted to see interior Lahore.

I don't even wanna go there. I like the atmosphere of the cramped mohalas and the old buildings but the traffic decorum makes me want to pull my hair out.

Even poor eastern europe old cities are clean and well maintained let alone western europe.

Not true. There is littered trash everywhere, obviously not at the scale of our cities. I didn't wanna mention the smell of urine and vomit at every corner. And I am talking of cities such as New York, Toronto and London.

We were expecting more from old Lahore considering claims of development.

Those are just claims. It's only within the walled city that they have done anything. Did you visit there? The work is still ongoing.

The real issue are the Pakistanis, even more so than the lack of development. It is our life long mission to destroy everything that we have or try to build. I can't count the times I've asked a shop owner for a trash can and he advised me to just throw the garbage on his shop floor or right outside of it.

Anyway the new malls like Emporioum and Packages are probably best ones in Pakistan.

Hate them. Get dragged to them more often than I'd like.

Those are just claims. It's only within the walled city that they have done anything. Did you visit there? The work is still ongoing.

The real issue are the Pakistanis, even more so than the lack of development. It is our life long mission to destroy everything that we have or try to build. I can't count the times I've asked a shop owner for a trash can and he advised me to just throw the garbage on his shop floor or right outside of it..

We did go to walled city, 2nd time around experience was better. Though traffic was still a mess because of Imran Khan visit. You are right about garbage thing, its a mess. Its mission impossible to find out empty trash can in Pakistan or trash can at all.

Frankly for authentic 'Karachi' food I would go to New Delhi/Mumbai or Hyderabad, India. I suppose Lahore can be regarded as centre of authentic Punjabi food.

@padamchen Thoughts?

Erm many of the famous Pakistani foods were actually brought by Indian Muslims, korma, biryani, nihari and shahi tukray etc are all ''Indian'' food. Punjabi food would be daal, paneer, saag and lassi all vegetarian food. Remember Punjabi Muslims diet was influenced by ban on red met by Sikh Empire.

Karachi has better tasting food and it has something to do with the water.

Water in Karachi is literally shit lol unless you are mommy daddy kid living in DHA or Bahria towns? As for the food I would say Karachi has more variety, every ethnicity from Pakistan is present in Karachi and so is their food. I think in that sense Karachi beats Lahore but Lahore is way cleaner then Karachi, all the infighting with MQM, PPP and ANP in the past has destroyed Karachi's infrastructure.

Erm many of the famous Pakistani foods were actually brought by Indian Muslims, korma, biryani, nihari and shahi tukray etc are all ''Indian'' food. Punjabi food would be daal, paneer, saag and lassi all vegetarian food. Remember Punjabi Muslims diet was influenced by ban on red met by Sikh Empire.

So the thousands of years of culinary traditions in Punjab were completely wiped out by the fifty year rule of the Sikhs over a predominantly meat eating Muslim majority?

Furthermore, only beef was banned under the Empire. As is the case even today, beef does not make up a significant part of the Punjabi cuisine. Traditionally it has been Goat meat and more recently Chicken.

Traditionally it has been Goat meat and more recently Chicken.

Yeah Sorry I totally missed that but recent beef based dishes came from Indian Muslims during partition.

Thus Indian food. And the best is in India because that is where it is from.

Delhi, Lucknow and Hyderabad and I'm not sure but maybe Calcutta would be the primary schools of Indian Muslim food. Each very different. I personally do not see what the fuss surrounding Hyderabad biryani is. I find it too dry for my taste.

Cheers, Doc

No offense but food in Islamabad and Rawalpindi sucks .. personal experience

There are plenty of meat based dishes in Punjabi cuisine though. Karahis, Charga, Paaye etc. Karachi cuisine is naturally closer to North Indian cuisine as the Urdu speaking community brought dishes with them. Also I have never understood the obsession with Biryani. Give me a warm plate of chicken pulao any day over Biryani.

Yeah Sorry I totally missed that but recent beef based dishes came from Indian Muslims during partition.

Wouldn't be surprised, given the fact that everything in Pakistan is an amalgamation of a very many others. Amalgamation, mind you. Not adoption. E.g. biryani at Indian restaurants isn't really the biryanis we know in Pakistan or at Pakistani restaurants.

There are plenty of meat based dishes in Punjabi cuisine though. Karahis, Charga, Paaye etc. Karachi cuisine is naturally closer to North Indian cuisine as the Urdu speaking community brought dishes with them. Also I have never understood the obsession with Biryani. Give me a warm plate of chicken pulao any day over Biryani.
Biryani is ok. my preference always is pilaf/polov/pulao as it may be called.

51577549_1841668002604014_8666866376918433792_o.jpg

52106866_1841667832604031_5163169384125956096_o.jpg

51840625_1841667602604054_8390444953217531904_n.jpg

51775641_1841667025937445_25348020807663616_n.jpg

If you are in Lahore, and you have been able to do the famous side of Lahore, I want you to go to the Chacha Basha Sweet shop.

The Uncle is the one who is no need of any introduction, this famous is since 1910,

51603137_1837632953007519_4605768433961795584_o.jpg

51513605_1837632353007579_3191529879136894976_o.jpg

51664983_1837632136340934_1363854439504412672_o.jpg

51361416_1837632589674222_6389379613671292928_o.jpg

51505997_1837632739674207_3753692152735989760_o.jpg

جناب اگر آپ لاہور میں ہے اور آپ نے اگر لاہور کی مشہور برفی جی ہاں چاچا بسا جو کسی تعارف کا محتاج نہیں کی برفی تو ضرور کھائی ہوگی اور اگر نہیں کھائی تو جناب لیے آج میں آپ کو چاہے پستہ کی دکان پر لیے چلتا ہوں

چاچا بسا ہے جو کسی تعارف کا محتاج نہیں ہے لاہور کے مشہور بازار اچھرہ میں 1910 میں برفی کے کام سے آغاز کیا یہ برفی اتنی مشہور ہو گئی کہ وقت کے ساتھ ساتھ برفی کے علاوہ گلاب جامن پتیسہ جس کے بارے میں آپ نے یہ ضرور سنا ہوگا او پا جی پتیسہ میرا بڑا مزیدار
اک واری جو کھائے او منگے بار بار
پا جی پتیسہ میرا بڑا مزیدار
شہر کی گلیوں میں بکتا رہا آج میرا چاچا بسا کی دکان سے گزر ہوا تو میں نے سب سے پہلے برفی اس کے بعد گرم گرم دودھ اور جلیبیاں کھائیں اور پھر پیٹھے کا دیسی گھی میں بنا حلوہ کھایا

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom