What's new

Famous Pakistani Food

Latest photo at a restaurant of Rawalpindi.

1655494479786.png

Last edited:
@SIPRA paaji
As a fellow foodie, please throw some light on above query

Sir Jee: Here, in restaurants, except in buffets, where mutton dishes like qorma and others are served; most common dish, prepared on order, is mutton karhahi. It of course takes longer than chicken to cook, and one has to await longer. I am not sure, but may be they first cook it in pressure cooker. Punjab main kaafi gali huyi hoti hae, easy to chew.

What is Ojharee? Is it organ meat?

It is stomach or digestive part of goat, sheep or cattle. Structure is towel-like. Many people don't like it. But, I find it very delicious, if cleaned and cooked properly. Of course, like organs, it is quite high in cholesterol.

When visiting my aunt in Quetta, we would wait for a fresh batch of these naans just coming out of the tandoor and my cousin would buy an extra one just for us kids to eat on the way home :)

They have a slightly sweet, salty taste. We would eat it just by itself, sometimes with paneer (cheese) or butter, and my aunt would complain that we had filled up our appetites before the meal :)

It is stomach or digestive part of goat, sheep or cattle. Structure is towel-like. Many people don't like it. But, I find it very delicious, if cleaned and cooked properly. Of course, like organs, it is quite high in cholesterol.
Ok. Here in south India there is a dish called 'Boti Fry', which has a mix of organs like stomach, kidney, lungs, liver etc, chopped into small pieces. It is very tasty, if one can overcome the texture and looks of it. It is generally poor man's food, but nowadays even the rich are endorsing poor man's food.

When I was much younger, I abhorred the idea of eating organs and thought that people who eat it are savages. Over time I realised that once an animal has been slaughtered for food, it is better to harvest it as much as possible instead of wasting it

Ok. Here in south India there is a dish called 'Boti Fry', which has a mix of organs like stomach, kidney, lungs, liver etc, chopped into small pieces. It is very tasty, if one can overcome the texture and looks of it. It is generally poor man's food, but nowadays even the rich are endorsing poor man's food.

When I was much younger, I abhorred the idea of eating organs and thought that people who eat it are savages. Over time I realised that once an animal has been slaughtered for food, it is better to harvest it as much as possible instead of wasting it
Organs are very bad for your health though
I usually avoid it except for brain and "kaleji" and only eat it once a year on eid

Eating it regularly is a killer

Last edited:

It's called kat-a-kat or tak-a-tak depends where in Pak. I make it at home on a hot plate, very tasty.

It's called kat-a-kat or tak-a-tak depends where in Pak. I make it at home on a hot plate, very tasty.

Yes, but in Pakistan, they only use a combination of kidney, liver, testes and mutton chaamp, as per demand of the customer. Stomach (Oajrhi) and lungs are not used.

When visiting my aunt in Quetta, we would wait for a fresh batch of these naans just coming out of the tandoor and my cousin would buy an extra one just for us kids to eat on the way home :)

They have a slightly sweet, salty taste. We would eat it just by itself, sometimes with paneer (cheese) or butter, and my aunt would complain that we had filled up our appetites before the meal :)

ham nay to paneer ka nam bhe nahi suna tha us time. but we used to do the same. eating Tandori nan on the way home. Uff..
and we used to (donate) khairat karty they. cutting it into pieces of 4. and then calling children to take one..

Back
Top Bottom