What's new

FA-50 and JF-17 are the finalists for Malaysian Air Force's Deal: Korea Times

After looking at FA50 it seems it is more like a trainer in the class of M346 or Yak 130.

A fighter in the class of Grippen or Jf17 might suit them better I feel.

Doesn't FA 50 use Israeli radar. The same ones used on India's Tejas. They also use the same F404 engine. Personally not fancying India's chances of selling Tejas to Malaysia, but the truth is, if Korea is an frontrunner despite Israeli avionics then India has an chance too. Especially with a team supposed to travel to India to take a look.
I dont think so

Firstly there is not enough production to even meet Indian demands, what HAL do if MoD double the order of Mk1A.

Even if we replace certain avionics with the French one, no one buy it if HAL gives delivery dates like 2027-28.
Also IAF and MoD restrict certain technologies, we won't allow certain tech for export. And the list is huge. It is hard to find a replacement in a short invterval.

Also, ADA/HAL still not developed an export variant of it. So, we had no chance from get-go.

In a couple of months, this news report will no longer be accurate. A RMAF team is due to visit India in the next couple of months to evaluate the Tejas and get acquainted with HAL's production line and other facilities.

Nope, that was FAKE NEWS. No reports of an RMAF team going to India other then "sources" in Indian press.

Also, if we don't allow certain tech (which is guaranteed we never), Tejas doesnt provides any benefit over FA-50. Mk1A be a shit aircraft, and there be no incentive from Malaysia to buy it.

It's better for Malaysia to continue with Advanced Super Hornet, don't be cheap on defense.

In the long run Malaysia could opt for F-35s or maybe KF-21 Boramae, Malaysia is quite a vast country, it'll need twin engine aircraft and huge fuel capacity, especially to defend Malaysian outpost in the South China Sea.

Malaysia's experience with it's Mig-29 and it's troublesome engine should be put into account when they evaluate JF 17, consider it had the same engine (or derived from it).

Having FA-50 will not help Malaysia deter an ever assertive China.

So does having Tejas, which is a very small plane. Which I believe having a small combat radius.
Hornets not even included mate
@Sunny4pak video to banti he

Last edited:
After conffronting Malaysia over Kashmir comments did Indians really believe the Malays would

1) Trust them with their defence equiupment
2) Pay for brand new integration on non Israeli equipment on Tejas
3) Order a plane in a version that has not even flown yet

Why do we even give some Indian "news" the time of day on this forum anymore?

After conffronting Malaysia over Kashmir comments did Indians really believe the Malays would

1) Trust them with their defence equiupment
2) Pay for brand new integration on non Israeli equipment on Tejas
3) Order a plane in a version that has not even flown yet

Why do we even give some Indian "news" the time of day on this forum anymore?

Can't put a price idiots!!!

I dont think so

Firstly there is not enough production to even meet Indian demands, what HAL do if MoD double the order of Mk1A.

Even if we replace certain avionics with the French one, no one buy it if HAL gives delivery dates like 2027-28.
Also IAF and MoD restrict certain technologies, we won't allow certain tech for export. And the list is huge. It is hard to find a replacement in a short invterval.

Also, ADA/HAL still not developed an export variant of it. So, we had no chance from get-go.

A good rational post.

Having said that, let's (us Pakistanis) not count chickens before they hatch.

I was wondering the same thing. Why didnlt they choose Grippen. Grippen has Meteor and SAAB also recently developed a MALD-J type decoy for grippen as well.

There are many better planes then JF-17 out there, but this is a "light" requirement and I can only assume that the Malaysian need numbers as well as capability. JF-17 and FA-20 gives them that.

My gut feeling is that politics may play a role here. West/SoKo v Pak/China.

Also, if we don't allow certain tech (which is guaranteed we never), Tejas doesnt provides any benefit over FA-50. Mk1A be a shit aircraft, and there be no incentive from Malaysia to buy it.

Can keep your 'warp drive'. The world is not ready for it yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom