What's new

F-22p News & Discussions

Kuala Lumpur, KLS: Pakistan’s Navy is looking at expanding its F22P frigate fleet, either construct the exactly same F22P or improved variant of F22P.

Chief of Naval Staff of Pakistan, Admiral Noman Bashir told KLS that because of geographical factor, Pakistan needs more ships to cover the vast area.

“We need to expand F22P, whether we do exactly the same as F22P or we make some upgrade, make it even better. Because of the technology is changing every year, in order to keep it up to date, you have to keep upgrading what you have.”

Pakistan ordered four F22P frigates from China in 2005, the first three ships will be built in China while the last in Pakistan. The first F22P was delivered to Pakistan in mid 2009.

Apart from that, there are reports saying that procuring Chinese Type 054A Frigate is part of Pakistan Navy’s expansion program. Type 054A is a 4000+ ton missile frigate, installed with vertical launch missile launchers and advanced radar and fire control systems.

F22P frigate is an improved version of Chinese Type 053H3 frigate, its full load displacement is 3000+ton but without any vertical launch system.

“Type 054A is a bigger ship than F22P, but we may not acquire 054, but we need to upgrade F22P, to become closer to 054,” Admiral Noman Bashir said.
Type 054A XuZhou is installed with 32 cells vertical launcher system. XuZhou called on Port Klang in Dec 2009.

He commented that Type 054A is a very successful ship for PLA Navy.

He said F22P can be modified to become closer to Type 054A, but not exactly like that. Pakistan Navy is discussing with Chinese counterparts about its future frigate upgrading program.

He added for the time being, Pakistan Navy is engaging with F22P program, only once they have finished it then goes to second.

“The fourth F22P will take about a year for construction, then we will talk about that.”

He not ruled out the possibility of naming the next generation frigate as F23P.

Pakistan needs more F-22Ps, not Type 054A

He not ruled out the possibility of naming the next generation frigate as F23P.

Looking at designations of known export naval designs of the PRC (i.e. F16U, F22P, F25T), I get the impression the number might reflect the 'light' or standard displacement class, and the latter the country. In that sense, going to F23P doesn't quite make sense (one would expect a bigger ship and hence a higher number e.g. F35P)

My guess is that PN is looking at something that has the same multi-mission capability as Type 054A, but perhaps lighter/smaller in displacement, and hence cheaper to operate?

My guess is that PN is looking at something that has the same multi-mission capability as Type 054A, but perhaps lighter/smaller in displacement, and hence cheaper to operate?

It seems so, as PN has defensive posture, and 054 are for a blue water going navy, which wants to project its strength.

We need something which can defend our sea shores and sea lanes.

An revised F22P with an 8 cell Mk41 and ESSM and more advanced sensors and c3i, perhaps? Or a Meko A-100.

if pn or paf are so concerned with maintanance ect then just don,t buy anything and don,t do anything.we don,t want double engine we don,t want that we don,t want this.why? beacause of maintanance. wtf
i mean buy something wich is capable of make the enemy piss it its pants even if the stuff is few in numbers .and not some tiny tiny stuff wich would make the enemy laugh at us

can someone tell me wht is the purpose of f22p.for me it can only perform coast gaurd service.and not stop IN ships aproaching fast karachi in case of war.

Last edited:
“Type 054A is a bigger ship than F22P, but we may not acquire 054, but we need to upgrade F22P, to become closer to 054,” Admiral Noman Bashir said.

Thanks for the information brother.
It means PN has reverted back form its initial plan of acquiring 4000+ ton ship, or may be the new class of ships have tonnage somewhat close to Type-054A.
For many it is just another disappointment after the U-214 episode.

Thanks for the information brother.
It means PN has reverted back form its initial plan of acquiring 4000+ ton ship, or may be the new class of ships have tonnage somewhat close to Type-054A.
For many it is just another disappointment after the U-214 episode.

It mean that you might see a development of the F22P with VLS and other improvements.

if pn or paf are so concerned with maintanance ect then just don,t buy anything and don,t do anything.we don,t want double engine we don,t want that we don,t want this.why? beacause of maintanance. wtf
i mean buy something wich is capable of make the enemy piss it its pants even if the stuff is few in numbers .and not some tiny tiny stuff wich would make the enemy laugh at us

can someone tell me wht is the purpose of f22p.for me it can only perform coast gaurd service.and not stop IN ships aproaching fast karachi in case of war.

I can understand the sense of patriotism with which you have written this post, i just can't understand what our defense think tanks are up to. Seems they have made a habit of taking u-turns from initial good decisions.

It mean that you might see a development of the F22P with VLS and other improvements.

but sir can this give f-22p a stealth feature like type 54 ?
aren't it would be better to fight with a stealth ship with a stealth ship like shivalik class ?

It seems so, as PN has defensive posture, and 054 are for a blue water going navy, which wants to project its strength.

We need something which can defend our sea shores and sea lanes.

pakistan navy has a defensive posture its true. but why it would not be possible to pose a defensive posture with a attacking fleet ?
if you have warship which can go further from your shore and stay longer can not it defend your costal more effectively and also could threat your enemy for a surprise attack on its harbour in a event of war?

pakistan navy has a defensive posture its true. but why it would not be possible to pose a defensive posture with a attacking fleet ?
if you have warship which can go further from your shore and stay longer can not it defend your costal more effectively and also could threat your enemy for a surprise attack on its harbour in a event of war?

F-22P has sufficient range, reported to have a 4000 nautical mile cruise range, more then enough to go in international waters and do attacks from there.

With what the PN chief has said, its logical. Type-054As are big ships which are mostly for long range missions or fleet defence purposes. China would be definitely making them part of their aircraft carriers fleets.

PN is a small navy with limited scope of defending its shore lines and has a limited budget.

A F-22P sized ship with 20 tube or so VLS system to have SAM missiles as well as Cruise Missile launch capability would be more then enough.

type-054A has I belive a 32 cell VLS system, we can have a lesser number in the F-22P size. Would be enough for our requirements.

It will be cheap, operational maintenance cheap and will have the sufficient punch for an offensive weapon system.

Personally for a good offensive force, i would like PN to go with such sized ships with VLS capability, good defensive systems, anti-submarine warfare capability, Type-022 Stealth FAC ships, and a good number of submarines.

Type-022 FACcan be one hell of a ship for the enemy, its stealth and would be hard to be detected and can sneak near to enemy ships and launch its missiles and then run away.

Type-054A is a very potent ship, with very good fire power. I think PN should not look at a 4000+ ton ship as a ship which it cannot manage. If this statement is about Type-052C destroyer then we can say it is fair. If our Navy is not even willing to induct and maintain a ship like Type-054A then what else can we expect.

Instead of focusing on old Oliver Class Frigates which is also 4000+ ton ship, PN should focus on Type-05A which would have gone a long way in fulfilling the future needs for the PN. These days PAF is really modernizing its fleet with new inductions like Air-to-Air refuellers and AEW&C/AWACS. Our defense policy makers would have to think for PN on the same lines and should start sparing some budget for PN and on the other hand PN should also be bold in terms of its future surface fleet requirements and selections.

Back
Top Bottom