What's new

China latest fighter engine is here, WS10TVC Thrust Vector Control turbofan engine official unveil

I believe that China have managed to develop engines that match or exceed reliability of Russian AL-31F engine. This engine have MTBO of 1000 hours. This is good enough for requirements for PAF because it does NOT have GLOBAL operational commitments. PAF is limited to defense of the country.

But American? American companies have managed to develop some engines that have MTBO of 6000 hours by now. Such is the disparity between US and Russia lately.

In jet engine use, single-crystal turbine airfoils have proven to have as much as nine times more relative life in terms of creep strength and thermal fatigue resistance, and over three times more relative life for corrosion resistance, when compared to small-grained crystal counterparts. Modern high-temperature turbine jet engines with long life (that is, on the order of 25,000 hours of operation between overhauls) would not be possible without the use of single-crystal turbine airfoils. By eliminating grain boundaries, single-crystal airfoils have longer thermal and fatigue life, are more corrosion resistant, can be cast with thinner walls—meaning less material and less weight—and have a higher melting point temperature. These improvements all contribute to higher gas turbine thermal efficiencies.​

This does not mean the F119 (F-22) and F135 (F-35) can fly for 25K hrs. It means that the LIKELIHOOD of core engine failures due to turbine blade weakening is low, making the overall engine better at field maintenance. The longer the engine can stay in the field instead of depot, the more capable the engine for deployment in terms of geography and duration. Look at any jet engine, the bulk of FIELD maintenance is on all the peripheral doo-dads attached around the casing. DEPOT maintenance is breaking into the core and we do not want that. Going into the core is time consuming, costly, and requiring nearly cleanroom environment.

You complained about lack of constructive debate to me in this thread. Now this is your idea of a constructive debate?

American technological prowess is NOT NEWS to the world at large. It is rather self-explanatory. American technology is in use inside your "gadgets."

China have learned much from Western countries including USA and even from Russia. Do not look down upon these countries now that you have learned to develop advanced stuff. These countries are not sitting idle either but continue to develop incredibly sophisticated technologies and are globally respected for their achievements.

Russia is unable to compete due to lack of investment from OECD countries and sanctions.

WE can see that China is developing better hardware than Russia in the present. I am not surprised because European countries including UK and Germany have provided sophisticated technologies including even engine-related technologies to China. There is ample information on the web in fact.

I believe that China have managed to develop engines that match or exceed reliability of Russian AL-31F engine. This engine have MTBO of 1000 hours. This is good enough for requirements for PAF because it does NOT have GLOBAL operational commitments. PAF is limited to defense of the country.

But American? American companies have managed to develop some engines that have MTBO of 6000 hours by now. Such is the disparity between US and Russia lately.

But the american are good with their loud mouth only as per you. Do you really think that people are stupid?

I have grown to appreciate you for providing evidence of your claims but you have the unfortunate tendency to look down upon others. You set an example for constructive debates and others will respect you for your maturity.
I just found some indicators of the WS-10 basic model found on the Naval Academy paper
MTBF 150h
IFSD 0.1/1000EFH
I don't know the indicators of western countries, can you make a comparison?

The Chinese government offers scholarships to students from Africa, South America, South Asia, Middle East and many other third world countries. They require Chinese female students to serve foreign male students. If foreigners insult Chinese women, the Chinese government will be lenient and forgive foreigners. And the same thing happens in the field of sports, education...

Russia exports women to Europe and East Asia.
China imports men from all over the world.

North Korea is not a superpower, but they have the ball. They have honor and dignity, they respect the women of their country, do not allow foreigners to insult North Korean women.They don't look like some asshole superpowers

- North Korea is not a religious extremist country like somalia or afganistan

- North Korea Has Warheads and ICBMs

- North Korea is not a puppet of any superpower. They support China and Russia, but they don't kneel or lick China and Russia.
Yes, but I have talked to South Koreans who dislike North Korea.

I dont think those flying British flag are really talking behalf as Pakistanis. @Bleek @Ali_Baba @aziqbal

And they talk trash for Pakistan.
I can criticise my own country, if you haven't noticed nearly every Pakistani is at the moment.

Also I'm not anti-China, I just don't believe speculative claims without actual proof, just because I don't believe everything claimed by you, doesn't mean I am against China or Chinese.

Just go through my post history mentioning China - it is neutral.

I don't know what the metric for this "catching up" is, since it's not something you can truly measure, you don't know how much the US advanced. US was working on hypersonic experimental aircraft and stealth technology years ago, who knows what the NGAD has to offer, the F-35 itself and even F22 still have tons of classified technologies.

In terms of years, I don't think the gap closed at all. Again, it's something that cannot be really measured unless you have access to classified information, and I don't have any access to such information, at least not to information about Chinese and American air forces.

I highly doubt the J20 is competitive with the F-35, the DAS system is an insane advantage.

catching up is when you start with the j-8 versus f-22 and are now looking at j-20 versus j-35.

again, you are insane to claim no catching up has occured when it's so blindingly obvious. sure you can claim the j-20 is not as "advanced" as the f-35 or something, that's fine, but only the wholly ignorant or outright liars would claim that gap is as large as j-8 vs f-22 or even j-10 vs f-22.

in terms of years, well the NGAD isnt actually out yet. so we can't say much about that, nor does any know how long after the NGAD comes out, will the chinese come out with their own 6th gen. all we know is both are working on it

catching up is when you start with the j-8 versus f-22 and are now looking at j-20 versus j-35.

again, you are insane to claim no catching up has occured when it's so blindingly obvious. sure you can claim the j-20 is not as "advanced" as the f-35 or something, that's fine, but only the wholly ignorant or outright liars would claim that gap is as large as j-8 vs f-22 or even j-10 vs f-22.

in terms of years, well the NGAD isnt actually out yet. so we can't say much about that, nor does any know how long after the NGAD comes out, will the chinese come out with their own 6th gen. all we know is both are working on it
It was J10 vs F22, and now you're looking at J20 (which is inferior to the American counterparts) against NGAD.

Gap is exponential, not linear. The difference between F22 and J10 is insane. The difference between F35 and F22 is insane. The difference between NGAD and F-35 is insane. Even though they're produced not very far apart in terms of time.

Again, Chinese 6th gen will probably be a true rival to American 5th gen aircraft. J20 is, and I quote, "nothing to lose sleep over".

It was J10 vs F22, and now you're looking at J20 (which is inferior to the American counterparts) against NGAD.

Gap is exponential, not linear. The difference between F22 and J10 is insane. The difference between F35 and F22 is insane. The difference between NGAD and F-35 is insane. Even though they're produced not very far apart in terms of time.

Again, Chinese 6th gen will probably be a true rival to American 5th gen aircraft. J20 is, and I quote, "nothing to lose sleep over".
blah blah blah, stopped being a cheerleader.

well now you are going completely on your own assumptions about performance making claims you could have no way of knowing or backing up. in short, worthless presumptions.

first,
sure, it was j-7 then j-10 facing f-22s, huge gap i can agree, however, if counting from first flight, there was 14 years of this before the j-20. counting operational status there was a 12 year gap. i see no reason to think the chinese 6th gen they are working on right now is going to be 12 years later than NGAD.

then you claim "insane" difference between f-22 and f-35. i have heard better performance out of the f-35 electronically, but never "insane". i dont think anyone would claim that 999 out 1000 times the f-35 would beat the f-22 if all else equal, because that's the kind of gap or greater we can expect from j-10 vs f-22.

then you claim NGAD is "insane" yet again compared to the f-35, yet the NGAD is unfinished, and no spec of any kind is release, all we know is that it should be better. are you going to claim you have insider secret knowledge?

then you claim the j-20 is inferior to american counterparts. there is no way to know, hence why i always say within ballpark of each other, if there is a gap, you have no idea how much is the gap.
and on that point, all that the f-35 has, we see the j-20 has also, including DAS which you seem to think is some kind of a miracle wunder weapon, or rather, sensor system. the j-20 also has a bigger nose for a bigger radar, the j-20 is also powered by two engines with a higher combined thrust than the single f-135 on the f-35 without the any of compromises that the f-35 has to make to accommodate the F-35B. and all serious attempts to look at its shaping shows it to be a credible stealth design. in short, the j-20 is faster, more maneuverable, sees farther and by virtue of the pl-15, shoots farther than the f-35 based on what we can know. you'll probably claim american radars or ram is better, well maybe, i wouldn't be shocked at that that but i doubt the difference is "insane".

then you make an absolutely ridiculous claim that the future Chinese 6th gen is somehow only going to be comparable to american 5th gens (f-22, f-35), when all we know is that its pretty much going to be a flying triangle like all 6th gen concepts everywhere

you pretty much assume each new jet in the us is an entire generation or more better than the last jet (f-22 vs f-35) while also assuming each new generation(generation not just jet) of chinese jets is actually just 0.5 generations better than the last one. these are bad assumptions without anything to back them up other than prejudice, which is all that you have shown so far.

in contrast to you, my points are simple and doesn't require basically making things up
j-8/j-7 is 3rd gen.
j-10 is 4th gen
j-20 is 5th gen

china had to use 3rd/4th gens to face us 5th gens for 12+ years(depending counting in service or first flight)

china is unlikely to have to use 5th gens to face us 6th gens for the same or greater amount of time.

hence the gap has been closed.

in fact we can go farther back too, to show that it isnt something new. how long did china have to face us 4th gens with 3rd gen fighters? then how long did china use 4th gens to face american 5th gens. yet right now, we see the us without any generation advantage over china, that shows clear progress which you keep pretending like it didnt happen.

and lastly, talk is cheap, china is the greatest threat in the universe when the USAF needs funds. yet wholly incapable and ready to fall apart at any second when the us wants to tell the world the USAF is the best or when they needs to reassure allies or just slander china.

whats not cheap is action. and the us already has aggressor squads dedicated to act as PLAAF flying f-35s

Last edited:
I am having a blast reading some of the comments by engine experts on PDF LOL

If I had this much knowledge about engines and if I could predict and compare engines without actually seeing them I would start my own engine company. World's largest engine companies should start hiring some engine experts at PDF.

"Saaaaaaaar. Hold my caaaffeeeeee! I am about to start my engane campany!!!!"

PDF is not a place to discuss serious topics. None of the members here have the slightest clue. All they do is just troll each other.

F-22 is outdated. The situation awareness is build according to the late 90s and early 2000s. No EOTAS and the stealthy technology is outdated which require intensive maintenance. There is reason why US decide to close the production line and go for more F-35. The only advantage F-22 has is the raw power of thrust to weight ratio.

Last edited:

LOL Of course. You have actually seen and flown a J-20 to make such claims.

Dude, people like you haven't even seen a fighter in real life. You are just an ordinary troll who gets paid to write garbage.

PDF is not a place to discuss serious topics. None of the members here have the slightest clue. All they do is just troll each other.

This forum has become a joke from a defence perspective. There used to be a time where respectable members used to hold serious discussions. Now we have plain trolls making absurd claims. This is just kids fighting over candy. It is so ridiculous.

F16 is a washed up machine that can't handle 4.5 gen Rafale. It's still the most advanced, most capable jet if it's in Africa or S America.
Lol, F-16s are perfectly on par with the Rafale, without a generational gap it's all pretty much about the pilot

Back
Top Bottom