What's new

Car / Jeep rallies in Pakistan

Magsi ecstatic after 2021 Hub Rally Cross win

Driver beats defending champion Sultan by 12 seconds in category A of the prepared race

Nabil Tahir

Hub1615971615-0.jpg

BALOCHISTAN: Nadir Magsi won first place at the 50km long 2021 Hub Rally Cross defeating the defending champion Sahibzada Sultan by 12 seconds at Hub, Balochistan on Sunday.

The annual event was held on a 50km long track for the first time that included a seven-kilometre long track beside the Gadani beach. The new track not only included sharp turns but also the track going through the water at the beach.

In the category A of the prepared race, Magsi finished first with the time of 36 minutes and 51 seconds, following him was Sultan finishing 37 minutes three seconds and Nosherwan Tiwana was third at 39 minutes and 56 seconds.

Pakistan’s top racers participated in the event, but Nadir Magsi one of the experienced racer won the tournament. “It was a tough race. The first 25km of the new track are a bit difficult. But we as a team of a driver and navigator were able to finish 12 seconds ahead, which is an achievement for us,” he said.

“It’s good to win the first race of the year. I finished second in the Cholistan Rally and after that we made some modifications which helped us in winning this race,” he added.

Meanwhile, the runner-up and defending champion Sultan said that the turns in the track were similar to the other type of races which makes this track difficult. “The turns in the first half of the track had some turns that are in other type of raceswhich make it difficult in an off-road track rally. Still, the beautiful scenes of the track amazed everyone. We made some bad turns that led us to the second place,” Sultan told The Express Tribune.

In the women category, Tushna Patel finished with 42minutes and nine seconds, followed by Mahum Shiraz at 54minutes and seven seconds, while Nida Wasti was third with 54minutes and 13 seconds.

Talking about the race, the 21-year-old racer Mahum said that coming at second place is an achievement for her. “I was fond of cars and races since early age. Watching my father Shiraz Qureshi always fascinated me and wanted to race on the track one day. Now after completing my studies I came back and practiced off road racing for a year before making debut in 2020,” Mahum told The Express Tribune.
“Now, after a year, I was able to finish behind the fastest off road women racer Tushna, who has always supported me and guided me during practice,” she added.

The winner of the women category Tushna said that more events were needed for women.

“These young girls have proved that they are no less than the men and can drive on such difficult track successfully. We are hoping for the more sponsors to come in which will attract more women,” she said.

CHOLISTAN RALLY - 2021
UKHANO | VLOG

Asif Fazal Chaudhary Wins 4th International #GwadarJeepRally2021
ASIF Ch managed to finish 125Kms track in 1 hour 24 Minutes and secured First Postion.

1634685818617.png

1634685838904.png

1634685860686.png

BAHAWALPUR: The Cholistan jeep rally festival week began on Sunday at Gulzar-i-Sadiq with an auto show. The local administration with the Tourism Development Corporation of Punjab has planned the rally at the desert near the historic Derawar Fort.

The auto show attracted a huge crowd that braved the cold weather and coronavirus SOPs. The Bahawalpur Cantonment Board officials decorated the venue with banners and flags.

According to Board Executive Officer Rana Ramiz Shafqat, 100 bikers, including famous Haris Nisar and Muhammad Iqbal Gangla, and 70 owners with their cars attended the show.

The board has planned a pet show on Feb 7 at Gulzar-i-Sadiq.

After the pet show, the remaining festivities will be held at the desert’s Derwar Fort Dilwish stadium.

The inaugural jeep rally function will be held at DHA on Feb 8, followed by a trade fair on Feb 9 at Dilwish stadium and the exhibition of handicrafts and paintings. A motorbike race will be held in the Cholistan.

A poetry recitation session will be held on Feb 9. Jeep rally’s qualifying round will be held on Feb 10 while the dance of camels, horses, sheep and goats will be staged at Dilwish stadium the same day.

The jeep race’s flag-off ceremony would be held on Feb 11. In the next two days, prepaid vehicles’ first round for men and women, competitions for the stock category for men and women and the next round of prepaid category for men and women will be held. The festival will conclude with a paragliding show followed by a cultural show before the prize-distribution function.

Published in Dawn, February 7th, 2022

START YOUR ENGINES
GEAR UP FOR CHOLISTAN CHALLENGE​

International Cholistan Desert Rally started back in 2005 and has since grown in leaps and bounds. The upcoming rally will mark this event’s 15th edition which reflects its ever-increasing popularity.

The event portrays a positive and softer image of Pakistan abroad and bring to highlight the real beauty of south Punjab’s landscape. Besides promoting tourism, such events also enhance the livelihood of the locals.

The prime objective to hold this event in the heart of Cholistan desert is to show outside world its history and rich culture and open this area as a winter tourist destination.

This rally covers three districts of Punjab, including Rahim Yar Khan, Bahawalnagar, and Bahawalpur. The rally is divided into three different categories – Stock, Prepared and Women category. Stock and Prepared categories are further divided into 4 categories (A, B, C, D).

The event shall be held on 08-13th Feb, 2022 in the majestic desert of Cholistan. More than 100 Racers from all over Pakistan will challenge the sand of the Cholistan in different categories.

The Rally route has been extended to 500 kilometres in the Cholistan Desert and also includes major forts of the desert (Dingarh Fort, Marrot Fort, Khan Garh, Bhijnot Fort, Moujgarh Fort and Jamgarh Fort).

1644531492211.png

Event Venue is Derawer Fort (Cholistan)​

The event venue is Derawer Fort (Cholistan). Approximately 95 km south of the city of Bahawalpur, the forty bastions of Derawar are visible for many miles in the Cholistan Desert. From Bahawalpur get to the GT Toad towards Karachi. From Ahmedpur East Bypass take the left turn towards Dera Nawab Cantt. Before Entering Dera Nawab Cantt take Left turn and then right. Due to opening of Motorway, the distances reduced.

Action Jeeps in Qualifying Round
TDCP 17th International Cholistan Desert Rally 2022
Day 02 | Qualifying Round.

1644590217110.png

1644590310793.png

1644590328446.png

1644590368412.png

TDCP 17th International Cholistan Desert Rally 2022 | Day 01 Technical Inspection of Rally Vehicles on TDCP Resort Cholistan.

1645221294712.png

1645221340897.png

Colours, culture and thrill, all in one at Sarfaranga

Jamil Nagri
October 8, 2023

(CLOCKWISE from top) Wearing traditional dress, locals perform a sword dance at the opening of the fifth Sarfaranga Cold Desert Rally in Shigar, Gilgit-Baltistan. Around 100 vehicles are taking part in the jeep race while 57 drivers qualified for the final round, to be held today (Sunday).—Photos by DC Shigar/Haroon Muzaffar/Imran Ali

(CLOCKWISE from top) Wearing traditional dress, locals perform a sword dance at the opening of the fifth Sarfaranga Cold Desert Rally in Shigar, Gilgit-Baltistan. Around 100 vehicles are taking part in the jeep race while 57 drivers qualified for the final round, to be held today (Sunday).i

GILGIT: The vibrant cultural festivities of the 5th edition of the Sarfaranga Cold Desert Rally 2023 captivated thousands of participants.

The three-day event in the stunning Shigar Valley of Gilgit-Baltistan will conclude on Sunday.

Sarfaranga, known as the world’s highest cold desert, is perched at an elevation of 7,500 feet in Shigar district of Gilgit-Baltistan (GB).

On Saturday, 100 jeep drivers hailing from Punjab, Sindh, Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), and GB, including three local women, enthusiastically competed in a 100-kilometre jeep race at Sarfaranga Cold Desert. A total of 57 drivers qualified for the final round.

The event featured a variety of activities, including a thrilling Zakh (raft) competition, free-style polo matches, sword dances, musical performances, local dances, and rock climbing contests. Visitors also had the opportunity to explore 135 stalls offering local foods, gemstones and handicraft.

Saturday witnessed a colorful and culturally rich spectacle, with thousands of participants, including both national and international tourists, as well as locals, enjoying the festivities. Twelve men participated in the raft competition that took place at Blind Lake in Shigar. Shigar team won the free-style polo match.

A cultural evening held on Saturday featured singers performing traditional songs accompanied by traditional music, along with arrangements for traditional Mayfung.

On the first day of the event, paragliding, tug-of-war, javelin throwing and gymnastics added to the excitement.

Back
Top Bottom