What's new

⛵13 Million households in the US (about 10%) own a boat 🛥️ ..let's explore boating in the US

How to Pull a Skier

Good tutorial. The ski knob on ours is actually on top of the radar arch, and when I had the radar installed (because of boating at nighttime and in the fog it's good to have it for safety) I had to install an angled extension base to still be able to use the ski knob to tie the rope to.

Pulling a tube is fun too because those who ride it inevitably wipe out lol.

Even small plane ownership isn’t that rare or (even cost prohibitive amongst for some of the middle class) in the US. I had a class mate who had her granddad come pick her up in his plane for all the school breaks. You can pick up a Cessna for not much more than some of these boats, and I think we have over 10,000 airports across the country.

You can even be taught to fly in high school, probably for free or reduced price, if you join the Civil air patrol, and that can open a career in the airlines.

Even small plane ownership isn’t that rare or (even cost prohibitive amongst for some of the middle class) in the US. I had a class mate who had her granddad come pick her up in his plane for all the school breaks. You can pick up a Cessna for not much more than some of these boats, and I think we have over 10,000 airports across the country.

You can even be taught to fly in high school if you join the Civil air patrol.

Getting your pilot's license is more of the problem...but I guess not as bad as a helicopter license.

I had a classmate going for his helicopter license in the late 1980's and it was $15,000 back then.
Yeeesh!!

I had another classmate go the military route and end up flying attack helicopters in the Gulf War.

hmm...now i need a plane/helicopter in US thread.

Last edited:
Getting you pilot's license is more of the problem...but I guess not as bad as a helicopter license.

I had a classmate going for his helicopter license in the late 1980's and it was $15,000 back then.
Yeeesh!! I had other classmates go the military route and end up flying attack helicopters in the Gulf War.
Yeah, getting the flying hours is a pain, but if you start in high school with the civil air patrol, it can help.

ANALYSIS How many boats there are in the world, where they are, and who uses them most​

There are 33 million boats worldwide, and just under half are in the United States, nearly 16 million.
barche-nel-mondo.jpg

The boat industry is still going strong​

Boats cut through a channel in Miami

Boats in Haulover Inlet.

Boat sales boomed during the pandemic and are still going strong, according to a midyear market index from local advertising and software company Boats Group.

Why it matters: In South Florida, the marine industry's impact on regional employment was an estimated 141,860 jobs, according to a March report by the Marine Industries Association of South Florida.

What's happening: Boat values are almost 20% higher now nationally than in 2019.

• The average value of a boat — counting both sailboats and powerboats — in the U.S. is $139,152 now, up from $103,629.
  • Plus, boats are also spending fewer days on the market: 187 during the first half of 2023 compared to 261 days in 2019.
  • Inventory is finally being replenished after the supply chain was disrupted during the pandemic, the report says.
What they're saying: The report reflects "a very positive trajectory," for the boating industry, Courtney Chalmers, VP of marketing at Boats Group, said in a statement.

Of note: A survey by Boat Trader in May found that two in five millennials who bought boats within the last one to three years plan to upgrade their vessels.

• The success of the industry depends on attracting new and younger customers, Chalmers said in a statement at the time.

It is weird that the boat industry is still going strong. It's a good thing, even for us veteran boaters & sailors. We skipped putting the ol' floater in the water this past summer but hopefully we'll be back out again next year ISA. Haven't made a cast in over a year, now, and starting to get major withdrawal symptoms ooooffff! lol

Need to get out there baaaaad and catch a couple 30 inchers or so, but season is pretty much kaput. Only the diehards are out there and they are far & few between. Missed out on the great whites in the Cape too this year. Evey summer I tell myself we're gonna trailer the boat down to Chatham or P-Town and get out there to see some whites but can't seem to muster up the time or effort. Getting older and the old testos is draining a little bit LOL. The go-go-go attitude from the younger days seems to be a dying trait. Crap even all my rods and tackle are sitting in the vestibule collecting dust now that definitely sucks.

Boats in Haulover Inlet.

Ever been there? That is the CRAZIEST inlet to boat EVER! And captaining a boat is no joke, especially in turbulent waters believe me. What's worse is newbies getting behind 30-35 footers of whatever kind and not knowing how to navigate those treacherous waters and next thing you know, they're going vertical and doing wheelies slamming the hulls and even plowing into the rocks because they don't know how to properly quarter the waves. It's surprising that there isn't as much training & licensing requirements for recreational boating like there is for autos since it can be considerably dangerous.

That boat in that Haulover pic looks like my dream boat of a lifetime, the Azimut 47. This is the most beautiful thing in the world I tell ya.

1699529927981.png

The Italians are the best designers of almost all things mankind has produced. That flybridge is so sweet and the bridge & salon are exquisite. Tough to fish comfortably off of it but I wouldn't have a problem whatsoever lool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom