What's new

STM-500 for the Pakistan navy

Oublious

Reaction score
Country
Turkey

According to Ibrahim Sunnetci they are redesigning the submarine for the needs of Pakistan navy at the moment. So it looks like first foreigner customer will be Pakistan navy after. First delivery will be Turkish navy.

I thin later or maybe this year ther will be a announcement about the project.

This is one of the most unreliable platforms of Turkish origin which due to the lack of funds won't be finished till 2026.

Maybe Pakistan becomes the chosen one to fill the financial gap?

This is one of the most unreliable platforms of Turkish origin which due to the lack of funds won't be finished till 2026.

We are inducting 8 Chinese subs; if we choose another platform, it'll be almost a decade from now, and if there are funds. If this submarine is importing engines from Europe or US, then consider this a non-starter.

I am pretty sure Pak will ultimately get the TOT to build them in house in good numbers. With 4 heavy Turkish made torpedoes or 4 1k km range Pak made cruise missiles they will be loitering near the coasts of Gujrat or Bombay or Madras with a low noise level for 30 days without coming out to the surface. Not to mention all the secret decoys, electronics etc....

IN will have to worry a lot about the swarms of these low cost Pak mini subs in their waters....

Since 2016-17, STM has been collaborating with the Pakistan Navy on the renewal of SDVs and also midget submarine studies. We can say that the Pakistani navy also indirectly contributed to the design of the model you see above, which its trial production started this year.

We are inducting 8 Chinese subs; if we choose another platform, it'll be almost a decade from now, and if there are funds. If this submarine is importing engines from Europe or US, then consider this a non-starter.
I am pretty sure the engine issue bothers the Turkish side too. So, they hopefully have chalked it out. Turkey is working on naval engines of all sorts....

I am pretty sure the engine issue bothers the Turkish side too. So, they hopefully have chalked it out. Turkey is working on naval engines of all sorts....

I don't know why they don't want a joint venture with the Chinese; you can take an off-the-shelf solution and tweak it. But, at the same time, the TOT of it can give a jump start for an updated model for the future during the overhaul phase.

I don't know why they don't want a joint venture with the Chinese; you can take an off-the-shelf solution and tweak it. But, at the same time, the TOT of it can give a jump start for an updated model for the future during the overhaul phase.

STM-500 Submarine is made for shallow waters, the project with China is big submarine 2800 ton 76 meters long.

Lack of funds? Come with source.

Zero chance. Designed for the narrow waters of the Black Sea and Mediterranean versus the open ocean we face.

There is a misunderstanding caused by the tonnage of this submarine.

4000nm/30 days cruise without replenishment, quieter than a nuclear submarine with AIP option and optical communication systems, diving depth 250+ meters, long range guided missiles and heavy torpedo capability. SDV integrated design. Also We need to discuss the innovations that Havelsan will bring on the basis of subsystems in a completely separate thread. This ship is designed as a completely state-of-art system. The only drawback of the ship may be related to its sonar suites due to its length and power, but the design purpose of thise submarine is more on special operations and infiltration operations against enemy shores and supply lines.

I am pretty sure Pak will ultimately get the TOT to build them in house in good numbers. With 4 heavy Turkish made torpedoes or 4 1k km range Pak made cruise missiles they will be loitering near the coasts of Gujrat or Bombay or Madras with a low noise level for 30 days without coming out to the surface. Not to mention all the secret decoys, electronics etc....

IN will have to worry a lot about the swarms of these low cost Pak mini subs in their waters....
Endurance is 30 days, that is numberof days it can operate without fresh supplies. Underwater would be less .
AIP plant for a small shallow water sub has to be very efficient because of limited space availability.
Which AIP type STM 500 shall use?
Li-ION shall be good, I have no idea improvements in this tech, as Li-Ion cells also use lots of space.
Also there are many AIP technologies, I am basically EE so my knowhow in fuel cells, and AIP plants etc is also limited :)

They won't be redesigning the ship until they are fully assured that Pakistan is the customer.

Back
Top Bottom