What's new

PAKISTAN NAVY PROCURES WS-61 SEA KING HELICOPTERS FROM QATAR

Commando Mk.3Anti-ship warfare version for the Qatar Emiri Air Force, fitted with dorsal radome and capable of carrying two Exocet missiles. Eight built.[102]

Commando Mk.2CVIP transport version of Commando Mk.2A for the Qatar Emiri Air Force; one built.[104]

Commando Mk.2AAssault and utility transport version for the Qatar Emiri Air Force, almost identical to Egyptian Mk.2; three built.[104]

I think as many keep saying, you are trying to integrate Chinese avionics, data links and weapons from the Z-9D into Western/NATO systems on the MILGEMS and Yarmooks. May not be feasible and in fact the OEMs may have sold us these ships on the condition we do not do this.

China has been copying MIL-STD standards for communication bus, data links, avionics, electrical, etc, and hence all its modern military equipment is compatible with US, EU, Turkish etc as long as these countries stick with these standards. These are all based on 'Open Protocols' such as BACNET, etc. So integration is no problem. However, the only thing Pakistan needs to ensure is that Turks provide all permission codes as these codes represent different permission hierarchies for the same system. Example, Level-1 codes may provide limited access to certain features, whereas Level-2 may provide access of all systems configuration, programming, etc.

Last edited:
China has been copying MIL-STD standards for communication bus, data links, avionics, electrical, etc, and hence all its modern military equipment is compatible with US, EU, Turkish etc as long as these countries stick with these standards. These are all based on 'Open Protocols' such as BACNET, etc. So integration is no problem. However, the only thing Pakistan needs to ensure is that Turks provide all permission codes as these codes represent different permission hierarchies for the same system. Example, Level-1 codes may provide limited access to certain features, whereas Level-2 may provide access of all systems configuration, programming, etc.

Yes, I am unsure if the Turks will do this or even that MBDA wants Chinese radars working with it's missile systems

These 10 WS-61 Seaking Commando version were gifted to the Pakistan Navy and NOT purchased.
They are less flown than our PN airframes.
3 are already in Pakistan.

Mostly flown by our retired PN aircrew in Qatar.
Sensors are less modern than PN aircraft.

19 Sea Kings will improve operational readiness of these aircraft and provide a more availability in different roles.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-04 at 19.51.21.jpeg

Last edited:
If indeed all 10 are being transferred than on capability for long range troop transport and sar plus asuw will be doubled hopefully unless older type have run out of airframe life

If indeed all 10 are being transferred than on capability for long range troop transport and sar plus asuw will be doubled hopefully unless older type have run out of airframe life

Choppers have much much longer airframe lives then fighter planes, hence why India still flying Cheetahs, main restriction on future Sea King ops will be spares as there are now only very few operators left, Just us, Eygpt and the Indians I think, so us getting these from Qatar ahead of India was a coup. India will really struggle to maintain it's 30 Sea Kings now.

Choppers have much much longer airframe lives then fighter planes, hence why India still flying Cheetahs, main restriction on future Sea King ops will be spares as there are now only very few operators left, Just us, Eygpt and the Indians I think, so us getting these from Qatar ahead of India was a coup. India will really struggle to maintain it's 30 Sea Kings now.
I believe Germany, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Spain, Norway, US, and of course Iran all still operate the Sea King in different variants. Couple that with recently retired ones in Europe and North America, spares should not be an issue.

I believe Germany, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Spain, Norway, US, and of course Iran all still operate the Sea King in different variants. Couple that with recently retired ones in Europe and North America, spares should not be an issue.

Germany, Spain and Norway all retired I thought?

I guess PN needs to procure some helicopters for the Milgem Corvettes, Jinnah Class Frigates, and possibly TF-2000 Destroyers ( in the future).
  • 6-12 AW-101s
  • 6-12 AW-139s / AW-159
  • 6-12 AW-109
As far as funds are concerned, then there are many brotherly gulf countries that can work out (discuss) with Pakistan. As it's a matter of national security.

Last edited:
I guess PN needs to procure some helicopters for the Milgem Corvettes, Jinnah Class Frigates, and possibly TF-2000 Destroyers ( in the future).
  • 6-12 AW-101s
  • 6-12 AW-139s / AW-159
  • 6-12 AW-109
As far as funds are concerned, then there are many brotherly gulf countries that can work out (discuss) with Pakistan. As it's a matter of national security.

this is best for future..

FAD0E4F4-A354-477E-8521-67C84BEAB99C.jpeg

pakistan will allegedly have "10 seakings and commando variants" ok how? QA20 and QA30 was phased out of service long ago? since 11 is the total. if you minus that with 2 you get 9. so i was right the possible Number of acquisition is 9 no more.
E-m9lPTXMAI3VJL.png

pakistan will allegedly have "10 seakings and commando variants" ok how? QA20 and QA30 was phased out of service long ago? since 11 is the total. if you minus that with 2 you get 9. so i was right the possible Number of acquisition is 9 no more.
View attachment 775983
There are total 19 Sea Kings in PN now.

There are total 19 Sea Kings in PN now.
PN buy Qatari ws-61 mostly for spare parts, but after evaluation by PN air arm personals that most of Qatari sea kings are almost brand new. Which is good for PN. So may be PN will retire old assets and induct these Qatari as substitute.

Back
Top Bottom