What's new

Mid-life upgrade for F22P

These photos are from china weapons export forum, check the different radar and fire control system. At least these systems could be upgraded on PN F22-Ps.
img-149c300136b1d69787b63d30de00609f-jpg.494287

img-62aa8537b28496b46181cebf0a2cafa1-jpg.494288

img-2857c5b2c0ede56ea39b23b0adf7efcd-jpg.495102

What are the prospects of the F-22Ps going back into the shipyards and turned into these; most of the ship is the same. While they are at it, they can lengthen the hull to make space for upgrades.

What are the prospects of the F-22Ps going back into the shipyards and turned into these; most of the ship is the same. While they are at it, they can lengthen the hull to make space for upgrades.

There are many exterior differences between F-22p amd C28A that may make such a remodel cost ineffective. I think it woyld be cheaper and more cost effective to focus on systems like weapons and electronics. Very low cost options to improve weaponry is to exchange C-802 with Harba, FM90 with FL-3000N (24 cell), and the 2 Type 730s with 2 Pantsir-M. Exchange the electronics for more modern radars like Smart S mk2 or LY-80N AESA radar and a new combat management system. That gives you a totally different beast which would be very capable in defending itself with 16 medium range missiles (30km), 24 short range missiles (9km) and 4 gatling guns mounted on 2 CIWS. It will also be capable of hitting ships at long range.

There are many exterior differences between F-22p amd C28A that may make such a remodel cost ineffective. I think it woyld be cheaper and more cost effective to focus on systems like weapons and electronics. Very low cost options to improve weaponry is to exchange C-802 with Harba, FM90 with FL-3000N (24 cell), and the 2 Type 730s with 2 Pantsir-M. Exchange the electronics for more modern radars like Smart S mk2 or LY-80N AESA radar and a new combat management system. That gives you a totally different beast which would be very capable in defending itself with 16 medium range missiles (30km), 24 short range missiles (9km) and 4 gatling guns mounted on 2 CIWS. It will also be capable of hitting ships at long range.

The two Pantsirs also carry 64 missiles in total. You should normally be choosing 4 Pantsirs or 4 Type 730.

The two Pantsirs also carry 64 missiles in total. You should normally be choosing 4 Pantsirs or 4 Type 730.

Not sure what system you are referring to. I am referring to the Pantsir-M which is essentially a Kashtan-M with 8 Pantsir 57E6-E (20km on export variant Pantsir-ME) or Hermes K (30km on Pantsir-M domestic variant). The system is equipped with 8 missiles.

Also the F-22P has only 2 CIWS stations. Not sure where you want to put the additional 2 stations...

Not sure what system you are referring to. I am referring to the Pantsir-M which is essentially a Kashtan-M with 8 Pantsir 57E6-E (20km on export variant Pantsir-ME) or Hermes K (30km on Pantsir-M domestic variant). The system is equipped with 8 missiles.

The same thing.

The Pantsir-ME has 8 ready to fire missiles and 3 reloads right below it. So 32 missiles in all. That's for each station. So 4 Pantsirs will give you 128 missiles.

Also the F-22P has only 2 CIWS stations. Not sure where you want to put the additional 2 stations...

Pantsir-ME is also CIWS. It takes the same space as the 730. Since you said 2 730s and 2 Pantsirs, I simply used your number. If the Pantsir-ME is chosen, then the FM-90 can be replaced with it. But it's a better idea to get a better SAM in front, like the Shtil.

Did I mentioned Navy?? Nope, I clearly said ground forces.

Sure. Tor and Buk are both designed for the army.

The Chinese equivalents are HQ-17 and HQ-16. And you already bought some HQ-16, so it removes the need for Buk.

PA chose the HQ-7A/FM-90, which removes the need for Tor.

And there's some talk on this forum about Pantsir. There's a tracked version available.

The same thing.

The Pantsir-ME has 8 ready to fire missiles and 3 reloads right below it. So 32 missiles in all. That's for each station. So 4 Pantsirs will give you 128 missiles.

Pantsir-ME is also CIWS. It takes the same space as the 730. Since you said 2 730s and 2 Pantsirs, I simply used your number. If the Pantsir-ME is chosen, then the FM-90 can be replaced with it. But it's a better idea to get a better SAM in front, like the Shtil.

Sure. Tor and Buk are both designed for the army.

The Chinese equivalents are HQ-17 and HQ-16. And you already bought some HQ-16, so it removes the need for Buk.

PA chose the HQ-7A/FM-90, which removes the need for Tor.

And there's some talk on this forum about Pantsir. There's a tracked version available.

Not completely, that is why PA is interested in those, specially Buk & Pantsir SAM as both can be very good for fast moving forces.

The same thing.

Ah, you mean with reload. I see.
Regarding the number of CIWS, i was. Not suggesting adding the Pantsir system in addition to type 730,but replacing the 730 with Pantsir-M. I dont think tgere is room for 4 stations. Had it been already laid out as C28a had, then it would be doable.

As for the front missiles i agree i wpuld love to see a better system than FM-90, the question is which system and how to add it. Shtil would be unlikely even if a vls is added as the PN will be operating HQ-16A or B with 40-70km range already. As these are development of Buk/Shtil they woupd likely go with HQ-16. As we can see from. TIGER class models (a development of C28A which itself is developed from F-22P) a 12cell vls can be fit in place of the raised platform that the FM-90 occupies. However, given this is meant to be a cost effective upgrade (minimizing structural changes) i would think 1 or 2 FL-3000N (24 cell each) would be more reasonable. You could possibly even do 2 addition Pantsir-M instead, but i like the added number of PD-Missiles, but putting 2 Pantsir-M would give you 32 missiles ready to fire as you say. Request the Hermes-k in place of the Pantsir missiles and you have 32 30km missiles and 4 CIWS gum stations with 2 guns each (8 in total) which i think is a ver reasonable defense.

The same thing.

Regarding the number of CIWS, i was. Not suggesting adding the Pantsir system in addition to type 730,but replacing the 730 with Pantsir-M. I dont think tgere is room for 4 stations. Had it been already laid out as C28a had, then it would be doable.

As for the front missiles i agree i wpuld love to see a better system than FM-90, the question is which system and how to add it. Shtil would be unlikely even if a vls is added as the PN will be operating HQ-16A or B with 40-70km range already. As these are development of Buk/Shtil they woupd likely go with HQ-16. As we can see from. TIGER class models (a development of C28A which itself is developed from F-22P) a 12cell vls can be fit in place of the raised platform that the FM-90 occupies. However, given this is meant to be a cost effective upgrade (minimizing structural changes) i would think 1 or 2 FL-3000N (24 cell each) would be more reasonable. You could possibly even do 2 addition Pantsir-M instead, but i like the added number of PD-Missiles, but putting 2 Pantsir-M would give you 32 missiles ready to fire as you say. Request the Hermes-k in place of the Pantsir missiles and you have 32 30km missiles and 4 CIWS gum stations with 2 guns each (8 in total) which i think is a ver reasonable defense.

Not completely, that is why PA is interested in those, specially Buk & Pantsir SAM as both can be very good for fast moving forces.

AFAIK, the PA has already chosen the HQ-16. It's pointless to add a second type now.

Choosing Pantsir will eliminate the need for both FL-3000 and 730. Otherwise you have to find space for the FL-3000 as well.

The current version of Shtil is better than the HQ-16 series. The Chinese should up their game with their offer.

But personally, I believe the frigate will be upgraded with all Chinese systems anyway.

AFAIK, the PA has already chosen the HQ-16. It's pointless to add a second type now.

Choosing Pantsir will eliminate the need for both FL-3000 and 730. Otherwise you have to find space for the FL-3000 as well.

The current version of Shtil is better than the HQ-16 series. The Chinese should up their game with their offer.

But personally, I believe the frigate will be upgraded with all Chinese systems anyway.

PA is definitely interested in a system like Pantsir, which can move with armour divisions also Buk M-3 can be used with them on the move and it can provide protection against SRBMs too.

HQ-16 & FM-90 then will provide cover to defensive force, as both are not as mobile as Pantsir & Buk M-3.

Chinese have DK-10 with 50km range and its quad packable in VLS.

Instead of FL-3000N, DK-10 quad packable MR SAM (50km range) should be considered.

PA is definitely interested in a system like Pantsir, which can move with armour divisions also Buk M-3 can be used with them on the move and it can provide protection against SRBMs too.

HQ-16 & FM-90 then will provide cover to defensive force, as both are not as mobile as Pantsir & Buk M-3.

If the PA bought the HQ-16 and FM-90, then both will be highly mobile. But Buk M3 is definitely much better than the HQ-16.

Chinese have DK-10 with 50km range and its quad packable in VLS.

Instead of FL-3000N, DK-10 quad packable MR SAM (50km range) should be considered.

There is no indication AFAIK that DK-10 is actually quad packable. There is talk that China is working towards that goal, but nothing is there yet.

There is no indication AFAIK that DK-10 is actually quad packable. There is talk that China is working towards that goal, but nothing is there yet.

The DK-10 is based on the PL-12. It's small enough to be quad packed, or even get its own launcher.

The DK-10 is based on the PL-12. It's small enough to be quad packed, or even get its own launcher.
Just because it is physically possible doesn't mean that it is that way. I more than anyone have been clamoring for PN to get its hands on a quad-packed missile, whether it is CAMM, KSAM, or even a derivative of DK-10. But knowing it could be doesnt mean we plan as if it is. Work with what there is, not what there might be.

Just because it is physically possible doesn't mean that it is that way. I more than anyone have been clamoring for PN to get its hands on a quad-packed missile, whether it is CAMM, KSAM, or even a derivative of DK-10. But knowing it could be doesnt mean we plan as if it is. Work with what there is, not what there might be.

Pretty much why I think the F-22P will get Chinese radars and weapons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom