RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
World Intellectual Property Indicators – 2015 Edition
December 14, 2015

Section A: PATENT (worldwide 2,680,900)

patent.png

Section B: TRADEMARK (worldwide 7,449,400)

trademark.png

Section C: INDUSTRIAL DESIGN (worldwide 1,138,400)

IDS.png

Section D: PLANT VARIETY
(worldwide 15,600)

Plant.png

Last edited:
China has such a huge lead.

Yes China has a far lead in the world as per World Intellectual Property Indicators 2015.
  • Patent is more related to R&D results. As data showed in A17, China constitutes over 31% of world total, followed by US, Japan, South Korea and Germany, the usual top 5 countries which dominates over 80% of global science and tech developments.
  • Industrial Design is more related to manufacturing industry, infrastructure engineering. As data showed in C17, China constitutes almost half of world total, followed by Germany, South Korea, etc., the usual heavily industrialized nations with strong merchandise exports.
However if we take into account of population then the picture is slightly different
  • Patent Per Million Population for China (587) only ranks number 9 in the world. Top leaders include South Korea (3,254), Japan (2,092) & Germany (913). China still has a lot to catchup
patent.png
  • Industrial Design Per Million Population for China (402) only ranks number 8 in the world. Top leaders are South Korea (1,251) & Germany (837). China still has a lot to catchup
industrial.png

@AndrewJin @Martian2 @TaiShang @cirr @Slav Defence

Last edited:
Chinese Academy of Sciences Maintains High Performance in Nature Index China 2015
Dec 18, 2015

The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) keeps a high profile with its abundant research output, according to the Nature Index 2015 published as a supplement in Nature released on December 17 by the Nature Publishing Group.

W020151218611129839896.jpg

The Nature Index 2015 China supplement, published with Nature on 17 December, shows China's total contribution to high-quality science has risen to become the second largest in the world, surpassed only by the United States.

The Nature Index 2015 China supplement, published by Nature Publishing Group, shows that CAS is the world's largest institutional contributor to the Nature Index. In 2014 its WFC was 1,308 (its AC was 3,124), significantly higher than that of the second-ranked institution, Harvard University, with a WFC of 865.

CAS has taken 56 of the top 200 institutions of the Index, with the University of Science and Technology of China ranks in China's top five university contributors.

The Academy is the top institutional producer in chemistry WFC, both in China and around the globe. The Institute of Chemistry (ICCAS) is the top contributing CAS institute by WFC. Its research strengths lie in molecular and nanosciences, organic and polymeric materials, chemical biology, as well as energy and green chemistry.

By subject areas, CAS leads not only in chemistry, but also in physical sciences, and earth and environmental sciences, with higher WFCs in these major subject areas than any other research institutions worldwide.

These cutting-edge areas of chemistry tend to have an applied aspect and are essential for industrial innovation. For instance, an ICCAS researchers' study on the assembly mechanism of organic composite materials strongly contributed to the development of flexible photonics and the realization of nanophotonic circuits for next-generation optical information processing.

China is relatively low in terms of patent per capita, only rank world number 9, this is one area for improvement. The other area is low concentration i.e. need for fewer but larger corporations. The WIPO report has a special section on this.

The Top 100 Global Patent Applicants

Table 1 lists the top 100 applicants based on their total number of patent families between 2003 and 2012. Mainly multinational companies, however 4 Chinese universities are in the list. 55 companies out of top 100 are from Japan.

Panasonic of Japan was the top applicant in the 2000s, with 111,653 patent families worldwide. It was followed by Samsung Electronics of the Republic of Korea (95,852), and by the Japanese companies Canon (74,193), Toyota (73,220) and Toshiba (65,151).

LG Electronics of the Republic of Korea and International Business Machines (IBM) of the US are two other non-Japanese applicants that rank among the top 10. Together, the top 10 applicants accounted for a third of all families held by the top 100 in the 2000s

top100.png

The number of patent families belonging to the top 100 applicants grew sharply between 1994 and 2005. Since peaking at 231,000 in 2005. However, their combined share has declined over the decades, while those held by applicants from China, the Republic of Korea and the US have increased.

share.png

China needs to increase patent concentration (industrial concentration) i.e. build mega-size corporations. It's expected that other than organic growth, increasing M&A (merger & aquisition) activities will also serve the purpose.

Last edited:
I remember we were at No.3 in 2013, and now out shadow the second one with big margin``! I believe the lead in total will keep increasing, and the gap in per capital will narrowing in next 5 years```but I doubt we will have per capital as much as S.K```because we have over a billion population````

a same per-capital of even like Germany, the total would be more than the rest 20 combined```

I remember we were at No.3 in 2013, and now out shadow the second one with big margin``! I believe the lead in total will keep increasing, and the gap in per capital will narrowing in next 5 years```but I doubt we will have per capital as much as S.K```because we have over a billion population````

a same per-capital of even like Germany, the total would be more than the rest 20 combined```

True bro, the two areas of improvement are: higher patent per capita, and bigger companies.

But on per capita matching Japan is tough (2,092), matching South Korea (3,254) is like mission impossible! China (587) should seek par with Germany (913) in the next few years, that's more pragmatic.

patent-png.280248

Last edited:
China has such a huge lead.

now I wanna know what is the quality of these patents. quantity means nothing if what you're patenting is garbage.

Japan and Europeans have very good quality patents

What is being patented though, very little "quality" or innovation come from China, plenty of people of Chinese descent across the world creating alot but actual China seems like India, a place where people patent anything.

What is being patented though, very little "quality" or innovation come from China, plenty of people of Chinese descent across the world creating alot but actual China seems like India, a place where people patent anything.
i guess you can patent the way of how to cook fish and chips, or maybe how to cook Koushari, :D you ignorant and stereotyped people are really full of idocy :lol:

now I wanna know what is the quality of these patents. quantity means nothing if what you're patenting is garbage.

Japan and Europeans have very good quality patents
i'd say good if not the best``
you have already had an answer of your own, why would bother ask? Oh, I know China obsession :lol:

then tell me why isn't India patenting everything? if what you said were true then India should be on the same scale as china in patents. Looks like China isn't just patenting anything as you claimed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom