What's new

WHO declares Peshawar the hub of polio virus

Sher Malang

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
PESHAWAR - Pakistan is the only polio-endemic country which is transmitting the virus across border, as more than 90% of the current polio cases in the country genetically linked to Peshawar, it is now the largest reservoir of endemic poliovirus in the world, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported.

Moreover, 12 out of the total 13 cases reported last year from Afghanistan are directly linked to Peshawar.

Pakistan is the only polio-endemic country in the world where polio cases rose from 2012 to 2013. According to the latest genomic sequencing results of the Regional Reference Laboratory for Polio Virus, 83 out of 91 polio cases in 2013 in the country are genetically linked to the poliovirus circulating actively in Peshawar.

During the last four years, samples of sewage water throughout the country are periodically tested for presence of polio virus. 86 samples of sewage water were collected from different locations of Peshawar in the last four years, and 72 of these samples showed the presence of highly contagious and paralytic wild polio virus strain.

All samples of the sewage water collected during the last six months from various areas of Peshawar showed presence of the highly contagious virus.

Peshawar reported 45 polio cases during the last five years.

The explosive polio virus outbreak in Federally Administered Tribal Areas, which left 65 children paralysed in 2013, also originated from Peshawar.

The prevailing security situation in Peshawar has seriously affected the quality of polio campaigns in the city and is resulting in only a few children receiving polio drops.

The existing state of polio eradication efforts in Peshawar by the provincial government needs to be improved to stop the virus from spreading.

WHO recommended that repeated, high quality vaccination campaigns – accompanied by strong monitoring – should be held in Peshawar to stop the polio transmission and protect children from the virus.

WHO declares Peshawar the hub of polio virus | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

OMG !

polio is not a problem that pakistan should be facing !!

guys buy some freaking OPV from iranian institute razi !

you dont have to buy the biotech version ! this also works incredible and has no risk whatsoever ! thats taking a toll from poor kids in pakistan !

India recently became polio free consequetively for 3 years

Have some shame....and start taking action rather than having talks with those taliban terrorists

It is shameful that 3 hindustanis are thanking a near dear for polio spread regardless of a "country". Discuss the topic not rejoice at such news.

Long live extremist political parties like MMA under the banner of mushy and than long live congress's dead horse ANP. I know some Pakistani numbnut members would come running blaming imran khan whose govt is in for the 7th month declaring war on polio.

It is shameful that 3 hindustanis are thanking a near dear for polio spread regardless of a "country". Discuss the topic not rejoice at such news.

Long live extremist political parties like MMA under the banner of mushy and than long live congress's dead horse ANP. I know some Pakistani numbnut members would come running blaming imran khan whose govt is in for the 7th month declaring war on polio.

Sir don't forget at which low level these numbnuts usually operate at, what else do you expect from such low lives?

Sad, extremely sad.
the extremists' stance against vaccinations is tragic and so are the attacks on Polio health workers
I would realy like to know what does the KPK Government plans to do about it.

Sad, extremely sad.
the extremists' stance against vaccinations is tragic and so are the attacks on Polio health workers

Anti polio drive has just been started with full gear by KPK govt and IK himself is leading this campaign. Besides new policies has been adopted to educate people about this polio vaccination, stupid molvies in rural KP labelled it as harmful for males kids.. :hitwall:

Sad, extremely sad.

But Peshawar is more or less a Taliban free city? There is not much extremist presence in the city, is there?

Hospitals should automatically vaccinate newborns and the KPK government needs to start vaccinating the rest.

Sad, extremely sad.

KPK government can only plan and implement but there would be tragic loses in this process, the question is what did the previous governments do under MMA and ANP who keep BS every now and then on media..this is criminal negligence on part of previous governments. I fear Baluchistan would be next...but surprisingly why was Pakistan almost clean of polio or down in the index 2001-2004 but I would keep conspiracy theory keep to myself for now but I do have raised eyebrows at people on the western side bio terrorism can't be neglected again I don't want to speculate too much.

Hospitals should automatically vaccinate newborns and the KPK government needs to start vaccinating the rest.

If it was that easy what about the next shots and drops in the 1-7 year period. Next comes remote areas there are no hospitals again thanks to mushy federally and all federal govts, mma, anp a big hand.

OMG !

polio is not a problem that pakistan should be facing !!

guys buy some freaking OPV from iranian institute razi !

you dont have to buy the biotech version ! this also works incredible and has no risk whatsoever ! thats taking a toll from poor kids in pakistan !

The problem is because of a hoax created against Polio vaccine among Muslims. Even India was the victim of this anti- vaccine hoax once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom