What's new

When Sachin Tendulkar played for Pakistan

Veeru

BANNED
Reaction score
When Sachin Tendulkar played for Pakistan

From the cover, Gautam Bhattacharya’s Sach would seem to be just another book on Sachin Tendulkar. But a candid foreword by skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni is enough to ward off the initial impression.

Bhattacharya has not only gone beyond Sachin’s demigod status, but also showed how human India’s most loved cricketer is. From comical incidents like Sachin’s pre-match jitters that made him get up in the middle of the night to practise in his room, to the Master Blaster’s nightmare of India crashing out of the 2007 World Cup, this book has it all and more.

Bhattacharya has covered Sachin for 23 years now and it shows in the book.

Not many people would know that the first time Sachin rubbed shoulders with the ‘big boys’ on the field, he represented Pakistan. When Imran Khan’s Pakistan XI took on the Cricket Club of India Golden Jubilee XI at the Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai, in 1987-88, Sachin was kept as a substitute player at the deep where he missed a catch. When Bhattacharya asked Imran about the experience, he was surprised to know that Sachin had indeed played under his captaincy.

Ignoring the run-of-the-mill blueprint of ‘how-to-write-on-Tendulkar’, Bhattacharya brings insights from all the leading personalities in the world — from cricket to Bollywood. For legendary singer Asha Bhonsle, Sachin “has an inspiring effect” on her. “Whenever he gets a hundred or hit a sixer, I feel very inspired. I tell myself, if he can do it so perfectly on a cricket field for 22-long years, why can’t I do the same with my singing,” says she.

Dilip Vengsarkar discloses that former coach Greg Chappell wanted Sachin out of the team. And, former teammate Javagal Srinath says, “When for the first time Sachin took over as the captain he was too dreamy-eyed and immature, and had huge expectations from everyone. I found him extra-demanding, wanting all the players to match up to his standards.”

The book unveils many aspects of Sachin’s life that were mostly unknown. It makes one form an immediate emotional connect with the batting maestro, who hails from a middle class family with its values intact. Whatever Sachin is today, he is because of the values instilled by his parents. He had, for instance, promised his father that he would never endorse a cigarette or liquor brand.

While these are things that can find their way into other books, the reader will be enticed to ask: How is this book different from others?

The answer can be given in just two words — Ajit Tendulkar. Bhattacharya manages to get hold of Ajit, a reclusive brother-cum-mentor of Sachin, who tells him how the world wouldn’t have seen the Sachin we know, had there been no mango tree in the neighbourhood.

This book doesn’t tell you about Sachin’s journey, it takes you on one. It tells you how the world of cricket can be summed up in one word — Sach.

The Pioneer :: Home : >> When Sachin played for Pakistan

well sachin is legend and even great human being he is best in the bussiness without any shadow of doubt

Back
Top Bottom