What's new

What is the difference between AK-47 and Ak-12?

Khalid Newazi

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
The AK-12 is the newest weapon into the Russian Forces but is it a viable replacement for the legendary Ak-47?

I know that the AK- 47 had some issues of accuracy but it was highly reliable. You could shoot it under water (even sea water), wouldn't jam even if mud entered it (most of times at least), easy to learn how to use it and most importantly was an all terrain weapon.

Does the Ak-12 has these reliability properties or just another highly accurate but unreliable weapon?

Main problem with an assault rifle is that it is neither a full- fledged sub-machine gun nor an honest to goodness rifle such as Enfield 0.303 or US M-1 Garand. I happened to fire M-1 semi-automatic carbine in 1970 when I was working in the US and thought that you couldn’t improve it. It was cheap, easy to use, carried a big punch, fairly accurate and had an effective range of about 500 yards.

I am sure that a lot of Pakistanis have fired Ak-47 at least once in their lifetime and would vouch that it is reliable and can be used with very little training with effective range close to about 400 yards. Even though it is probably not as accurate as the M-1.

IMO, one has to come up with an optimum combination of accuracy, reliability, muzzle velocity, punch, range & cost of a weapon. It is universally acknowledged that Ak-47 has the best combination of all the above factors. No doubt the cartridge is heavy and a smaller calibre cartridge will allow individual soldier to carry more rounds. This would make a difference to the airborne troops, the para troopers & the mountain infantry. Fine, you give them AK-12, but for an ordinary PFC this hardly matters as he can be easily re-supplied.

I for one don’t see the reason for replacing ubiquitous AK-47 with AK-12 with much smaller round (Russian standard is 5.45 x39 mm). I have experienced that it is difficult to shoot a deer at distances of more than a furlong (say 200 meters) even with a telescope single shot rifle. Understand AK-12 has better range, but I doubt that ordinary soldier can effectively aim at anything beyond a hundred meters, thus range beyond a couple of hundred meters hardly makes a difference in case of an assault rifle.

AK-12 maybe better, but I would not replace trusty old AK-47 in a hurry.

The AK-12 is the newest weapon into the Russian Forces but is it a viable replacement for the legendary Ak-47?

I know that the AK- 47 had some issues of accuracy but it was highly reliable. You could shoot it under water (even sea water), wouldn't jam even if mud entered it (most of times at least), easy to learn how to use it and most importantly was an all terrain weapon.

Does the Ak-12 has these reliability properties or just another highly accurate but unreliable weapon?

AK-47 is pretty accurate. More so than STG-44. In full auto fire it has a lot of kick, that's why most of the time people shoot AK-47 in semi auto mode. 7.62 by 39 has more energy than 5.45 by 39. 5.45 by 39 has a lethal range of some 200 meters.

AK-47 still used by the Russians??
thought they moved onto the AK-74M :o:

Back
Top Bottom